Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd really try and add that tusk later. Leopard wrasse can be shy.

Adding the anampses (yellowtail and china) wrasses together isn't needed they are very peaceful.

otherwise looks good!
okay. i just want to makebthe tank as mature as possible before adding the leopard. Also is there a sponge i can grow for my angels and butterflies to graze on. I also forgot tp mention eibli angel or watanabei angel, which will be added after the regal and before the tangs

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards like copepods but don't need them.
Sponges are a little difficult. I find they grow by themselves better than if you put one in. I'm not sure if you can get it down there but here we get frozen food with sponge in them which what I feed my regal and butterfly.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopards like copepods but don't need them.
Sponges are a little difficult. I find they grow by themselves better than if you put one in. I'm not sure if you can get it down there but here we get frozen food with sponge in them which what I feed my regal and butterfly.
okay. We have hikari angel mix so that should do. I just want to have a mature tank in case the leopard doesnt take prepared/frozen.Are amapses wrasse hard to feed? And what about adding another 2 leopards in exchange for the clowns? Liveaquaria recommends groups of 3. And adding a mimic or convict tang?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay. We have hikari angel mix so that should do. I just want to have a mature tank in case the leopard doesnt take prepared/frozen.Are amapses wrasse hard to feed? And what about adding another 2 leopards in exchange for the clowns? Liveaquaria recommends groups of 3. And adding a mimic or convict tang?
Leopard wrasse and anampses wrasse are very similar. Once they are in a tank they are great but they suffer from shipping stress and often mouth injuries. It’s not they don’t eat but rather that they may be unable. That’s why you need to be sure they are eating before buying.
As for groups leopard wrasse do fine in groups so long as there is not more than one male. Females are usually what you get and the dominant one will turn male.

The rule of 3 for tangs I believe is 3 different genera so an acanthurus in the PBT, zebrasoma in the scopas, and if you want a third then you want a Ctenochaetus like a tomini tang.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasse and anampses wrasse are very similar. Once they are in a tank they are great but they suffer from shipping stress and often mouth injuries. It’s not they don’t eat but rather that they may be unable. That’s why you need to be sure they are eating before buying.
As for groups leopard wrasse do fine in groups so long as there is not more than one male. Females are usually what you get and the dominant one will turn male.

The rule of 3 for tangs I believe is 3 different genera so an acanthurus in the PBT, zebrasoma in the scopas, and if you want a third then you want a Ctenochaetus like a tomini tang.
ok tomini it is. I do like female leopards more as they look like actual leopards but thats that.
So selection is the key to gwtting a healthy one eh? similar to copperbands then.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Any other wrasse btw? And how many fish should i limit it to?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naokos are nice, melanurus, possum, hardwicke wrasse
Melanarus is good
Possum is too shy
I don’t know much about thalsoma wrasse other then they’re known to be very aggressive

Try to stick to halichoeres, cirrhilabrus, anampses, macropharyngodon, and maybe a smaller coris,

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanarus is good
Possum is too shy
I don’t know much about thalsoma wrasse other then they’re known to be very aggressive

Try to stick to halichoeres, cirrhilabrus, anampses, macropharyngodon, and maybe a smaller coris,
thoughts on mcoskers and caropenters? sixlines? one or 2 barrier reef chromis? midnight dwarf angel? yellow assesors? a zoster or pyramid butterfly? heniochus butterfly?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasse are too shy for your tank. Sixlines are little murderous monsters. Chromis should be fine. A dwarf angelfish should work. Any basslet should be fine too.
Butterflies can be cowards so if you want them add early. I also wouldn't mix similar species like the zoster and pyramid. Finally they all may eat corals though the first two only eat softies while the banner are less reef safe.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flasher wrasse are too shy for your tank. Sixlines are little murderous monsters. Chromis should be fine. A dwarf angelfish should work. Any basslet should be fine too.
Butterflies can be cowards so if you want them add early. I also wouldn't mix similar species like the zoster and pyramid. Finally they all may eat corals though the first two only eat softies while the banner are less reef safe.
I think ill do the bannerfish,the dwarf angelfish, and a smaller basslet

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO STOCKING
Foxface
red head solon wrasse
mid`as blenny or blue assesor
bannerfish
filefish (recommendations pls)
regal angelfish
dwarf angel
scopas tang and pbt (same time)
Yellow tail tamarin and china wrasse (same time if i can)
harlequin tusk
macropharyngodon meleagris
lined bristletooth

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also curious about a dragonet. Which is a better bet, another bannerfish (to keep it company) or a dragonet? aiming for about 16 fish total. also wanted to add a maroon clown or a goby but thats that

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also curious about a dragonet. Which is a better bet, another bannerfish (to keep it company) or a dragonet? aiming for about 16 fish total. also wanted to add a maroon clown or a goby but thats that
Well dragonets need copepods. Mine are captive bred and taught to eat pellets and frozen. If you want one you'll have to wait a year or more for your tank to naturally age and grow copepods.

L0L_Z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well dragonets need copepods. Mine are captive bred and taught to eat pellets and frozen. If you want one you'll have to wait a year or more for your tank to naturally age and grow copepods.
my lfs sells trained wild dragonets. They eat almost everything except a few flake foods. they also sell some captive bred mandarins, albeit at a much higghrt price. and is a single maroon clown okay?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my lfs sells trained wild dragonets. They eat almost everything except a few flake foods. they also sell some captive bred mandarins, albeit at a much higghrt price. and is a single maroon clown okay?
Those mandarins sound great.

I have a single maroon and its yet to be a problem but they are notoriously aggressive.

also curious if i should add 3 bannerfish.
I think that would work but you don't need to. They will school with the other similar fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back