Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

chonsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So to start with a yellow coris is not a coris wrasse which is confusing I know. It is a halichoeres. Coris wrasse are big and aggressive. You can have multiple halichoeres wrasse in the same tank but not of the same species. If you like the look of the Yellow (not coris) wrasse then I suggest the silver belly wrasse, H leucoxanthus, however my favorite is the radiant, H iridis, and I just got a dusky margined myself, H marginatus, which is beautiful!
IMG_3165.jpeg IMG_3536.jpeg
As for top of the tank fish I suggest a fairy wrasse but with an aggressive tang that might be difficult. Use an acclimation box if you can. There are a ton of fairy wrasse but I suggest the exquisite, the rhomboid, Naoko, ruby longfin, or hooded flame. You could also get more than one (just not of the same species).
IMG_1928.jpeg IMG_2567.jpeg
Another fish you could go with for the water column is an Anthias. I’m not great with anthias so you’d have to research the tank size and they will need multiple feeds per day. My favorite though rare is the red saddled, Pyronotanthias flavoguttatus:
IMG_3393.jpeg
Wow, that's a beautiful anthias.

Thanks for straightening me out on the Halichoeres. The tang seems to leave everyone else alone; they all get along munching at the seaweed clip. I'll do some R+ on those fairy wrasse, for some reason I thought there was just one kind :eek:

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on a fish that would be happy in a 25g lagoon (24x19x13") with lots of rock. Hoping for something that will explore the rock work. I was thinking Court Jester Goby, but open to suggestions.

Tnops

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions on a fish that would be happy in a 25g lagoon (24x19x13") with lots of rock. Hoping for something that will explore the rock work. I was thinking Court Jester Goby, but open to suggestions.
some sort of basslet like royal gramma or assessor basslet could be good for that

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Court jester is good as is the basslet suggestion. Another one would be a possum wrasse

canisterreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I know that at times it can be difficult to know whether or not a fish is right for your tank. There are lots of things to consider when purchasing a new addition to your reef community: What size is the tank? What other fish are already in there? What inverts are in there? Is it a reef or fowlr? What about food availability? Is it a sensitive fish that needs special care requirements? Does it require particular water parameters? Is it aggressive? Is it a picky eater? Is it prone to disease?

These are all possible concerns that can come up in purchasing a new fish. REEF2REEF is here to help! Whether you're new to the hobby, or just unsure about a new addition, we'll be glad to help with advice and giving info about our new pet that will help it live many years in your tank. Of course, the tank is yours and so is the fish, so no one here will tell you what you can or CANNOT do with your own tank. We're just here to help by sharing our own knowledge and experience.

So let's get this thread going! If you're thinking about a new purchase and just not sure, post it up! :cool:
This is a really helpful post. I have a new set up - 35g. Its canister filter run (huge oase biomaster) with a bubble magnus qq1 and lots of live rock. It’s been running for 3 month. Have two red sea led lights and an ato and two Nero 3 wavemakers running. Testing with Hanna kits and so far all is going well I think (cal 445, alk 8.9, phos 0.02, nitrate 0.1, salinity 1.025, PH 8.4, mag 1390). I’m cleaning pre filters on canister weekly and doing 10% water changes. Minimal diatoms throughout.
Added trochus and nerite snails with 5 hermits and 3 cleaner shrimp few weeks ago and all doing well. Added Midas blenny, fire fish and two neon blennys a week ago and all feeding well and seem very settled. Used colony bacteria dosing when adding livestock. Since adding fish my nitrates went up but I expected that with the feeding and poop. All seems stable and testing weekly.
I appreciate it’s a small tank but it’s my first marine after keeping trops for years.
Starting small and hope to build up and covert my large trop tank if I am successful with this smaller tank
I am picking up a pair of onyx snow clowns this weekend but would also like to add a watchman Goby and pistol shrimp.
Also have my first soft corals coming next week - six zoas, one clove, one Kenya tree, a GSP (going on back glass I hope), two mushrooms and a sympodium.
Is this an ok stocking level for my 35g?
If yes, is this my max stocking?
Or any other suggestions on set up and plans welcomed.
In my large planted trop I am overstocked but I’m a maintenance junkie so keep that at 10ppm nitrate without issues so wonder if same principle can be applied with marine?
Thanks in advance

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a really helpful post. I have a new set up - 35g. Its canister filter run (huge oase biomaster) with a bubble magnus qq1 and lots of live rock. It’s been running for 3 month. Have two red sea led lights and an ato and two Nero 3 wavemakers running. Testing with Hanna kits and so far all is going well I think (cal 445, alk 8.9, phos 0.02, nitrate 0.1, salinity 1.025, PH 8.4, mag 1390). I’m cleaning pre filters on canister weekly and doing 10% water changes. Minimal diatoms throughout.
Added trochus and nerite snails with 5 hermits and 3 cleaner shrimp few weeks ago and all doing well. Added Midas blenny, fire fish and two neon blennys a week ago and all feeding well and seem very settled. Used colony bacteria dosing when adding livestock. Since adding fish my nitrates went up but I expected that with the feeding and poop. All seems stable and testing weekly.
I appreciate it’s a small tank but it’s my first marine after keeping trops for years.
Starting small and hope to build up and covert my large trop tank if I am successful with this smaller tank
I am picking up a pair of onyx snow clowns this weekend but would also like to add a watchman Goby and pistol shrimp.
Also have my first soft corals coming next week - six zoas, one clove, one Kenya tree, a GSP (going on back glass I hope), two mushrooms and a sympodium.
Is this an ok stocking level for my 35g?
If yes, is this my max stocking?
Or any other suggestions on set up and plans welcomed.
In my large planted trop I am overstocked but I’m a maintenance junkie so keep that at 10ppm nitrate without issues so wonder if same principle can be applied with marine?
Thanks in advance
I think you are good to go with the shrimp goby pair!

My only thoughts are on the canister filter. I use a canister filter but they are uncommon in saltwater because they don’t remove waste from a tank but allow it to decay. Maintaining nitrate and phosphate can be a bit more difficult in salt where plants/macroalgae are less prevalent so filter sock and rollers are used to remove the waste from the system. You can get around this with water changes, regularly cleaning the canister, or with a fast growing macroalgae like cheatomorph or caulerpa.

canisterreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are good to go with the shrimp goby pair!

My only thoughts are on the canister filter. I use a canister filter but they are uncommon in saltwater because they don’t remove waste from a tank but allow it to decay. Maintaining nitrate and phosphate can be a bit more difficult in salt where plants/macroalgae are less prevalent so filter sock and rollers are used to remove the waste from the system. You can get around this with water changes, regularly cleaning the canister, or with a fast growing macroalgae like cheatomorph or caulerpa.
Thanks for the reply. I went for canister as no space for a Sump. If I convert my large trop tank will be able to have sump.
Only space for addition hang on back hence my HOB protein skimmer. It’s working great pulling out lots of dark brown water and gunk with lots of foam bubbles. I did see some HOB refugiums and wondered if adding one would be better than running the canister. The canister has significant very fine pre foams so collects waste prior to entering the media. So far so good but when all fish in, it nitrates and phosphates don’t remain stable I will ditch it and upgrade protein skimmer and rely on that and live rock and HoB refugium if that would also help?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I went for canister as no space for a Sump. If I convert my large trop tank will be able to have sump.
Only space for addition hang on back hence my HOB protein skimmer. It’s working great pulling out lots of dark brown water and gunk with lots of foam bubbles. I did see some HOB refugiums and wondered if adding one would be better than running the canister. The canister has significant very fine pre foams so collects waste prior to entering the media. So far so good but when all fish in, it nitrates and phosphates don’t remain stable I will ditch it and upgrade protein skimmer and rely on that and live rock and HoB refugium if that would also help?
I do like Refugiums but so far it seems everything is working for you. Your nutrients are great so I wouldn’t waste money if you don’t need to.

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the following?

4’ long 90g DT, 25g sump. 1”-1.5” sand bed, special grade. Fair amount of rock in various shapes and configurations. Future tank, so no pics. Macro Algae, willing to replenish if occasionally eaten. Plan to have LPS and softies in the future, probably not SPS. Main focus on fish, corals secondary.

Potential Stock list:
2x PJ cardinals
2x Bengaii cardinals
1x wrasse, fairy? Suggestions for peaceful wrasse?
Cleaner Shrimp
Goby and pistol shrimp pair, suggestions for types?
Azure? Damsel, or other relatively peaceful damsel. Or other “blue” fish
1x Bristletooth tang, maybe Tomini. Suggestions?
1x Yellow Tang
Other fish suggestions that would fit with above? Or is that already pretty full?

Appropriate CUC made up of snails, crabs, brittle stars, etc

Thanks!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thoughts on the following?

4’ long 90g DT, 25g sump. 1”-1.5” sand bed, special grade. Fair amount of rock in various shapes and configurations. Future tank, so no pics. Macro Algae, willing to replenish if occasionally eaten. Plan to have LPS and softies in the future, probably not SPS. Main focus on fish, corals secondary.

Potential Stock list:
2x PJ cardinals
2x Bengaii cardinals
Good fish and pretty simple care but cardinals can be boring and oddly aggressive
1x wrasse, fairy? Suggestions for peaceful wrasse?
Naoko, exquisite, lunate, hooded flame are all great and would get along if you want multiple.
Cleaner Shrimp
Love em
Goby and pistol shrimp pair, suggestions for types?
I like the stonogobiops most and I would google which goby goes best with which shrimp. Or preferably buy together.
Azure? Damsel, or other relatively peaceful damsel. Or other “blue” fish
Exquisite fairy wrasse! I love wrasse but not damsels, too grumpy.
1x Bristletooth tang, maybe Tomini. Suggestions?
1x Yellow Tang
I don't like tangs and will always get a foxface instead but all bristletooths are pretty good.
Other fish suggestions that would fit with above? Or is that already pretty full?
Genicanthus angelfish
Basslet
Anthias (depends how often you feed) also just get one.
Halichoeres wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Flasher wrasse
Appropriate CUC made up of snails, crabs, brittle stars, etc
I like mexican turbo, trochus, and nassarius snails. Tuxedo urchin and any medium sized brittle/serpent stars.
No problem!

Petcrazyson

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good fish and pretty simple care but cardinals can be boring and oddly aggressive

Naoko, exquisite, lunate, hooded flame are all great and would get along if you want multiple.

Love em

I like the stonogobiops most and I would google which goby goes best with which shrimp. Or preferably buy together.

I don't like tangs and will always get a foxface instead but all bristletooths are pretty good.

Genicanthus angelfish
Basslet
Halichoeres wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Flasher wrasse

I like mexican turbo, trochus, and nassarius snails. Tuxedo urchin and any medium sized brittle/serpent stars.

No problem!
I think these are the most quotes youve had in a comment in a while lol

CallMeChris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Spent some time researching your answers. Those are some pretty awesome looking fish! I plan on having a lid, sounds like it will need to be a pretty tightly fitted lid.

Might end up just getting the PJs and skipping the Bangaii

like the stonogobiops most and I would google which goby goes best with which shrimp. Or preferably buy together

I love the diagonal stripes! Would love to buy them already paired up.

That was a concern of mine, temperament. Those wrasses though would definitely fulfill the wife’s wish for color.

don't like tangs and will always get a foxface instead but all bristletooths are pretty good.

Fox face looks like an awesome fish! Probably too big for my set up.

Genicanthus angelfish
Basslet
Halichoeres wrasse
Leopard wrasse
Flasher wrasse

Genicanthus: need to research them more, sound interesting but price may be an issue

like mexican turbo, trochus, and nassarius snails. Tuxedo urchin and any medium sized brittle/serpent stars.

Currently have Astrea, Cerith and nassarius snails, will need more when I get the larger tank. Have a lot of micro brittle stars, very cool. Would love a larger brittle star. Tuxedo urchin is definitely on my love to have list.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question :) Wanted to research your answers before replying back, hence the initial thumbs up ;)

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent some time researching your answers. Those are some pretty awesome looking fish! I plan on having a lid, sounds like it will need to be a pretty tightly fitted lid.

Might end up just getting the PJs and skipping the Bangaii
I love the diagonal stripes! Would love to buy them already paired up.

That was a concern of mine, temperament. Those wrasses though would definitely fulfill the wife’s wish for color.
Fox face looks like an awesome fish! Probably too big for my set up.
I personally feel that since they are a lot less active then tangs they don't need the room. Also there is the one spot foxface that is smaller and more suited to small tanks.
Genicanthus: need to research them more, sound interesting but price may be an issue
I suggest this genus because they are the only ones guaranteed not to eat coral. Coral beauty, flame, and some other dwarf angelfish can be good but might also eat corals.

Jon_901

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can I get some opinions on this stock list I have developed for our future 75 gallon FOWLR tank please?:

My Idea so far:

1st purchase:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Tailspot Blenny

2nd Purchase (couple months later)
1 Royal Gamma
1 Fathead Sunburst Anthias
1 Electric Blue Hermit Crab

3rd purchase (month later)
1 yellow watchman goby paired with
1 Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

4th purchase
1 wrasse
Note: Only getting a wrasse cause I hear its needed for pest control - kind of scared of the bully comments I read.
So far I hear a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse is a good peaceful one (do they clean fish as well?). Any other ideas?
1 flame angel
1 two spot Bristletooth tang or 1 yellow tang (if a yellow tang can fit).

Is this too much fish?

Any suggestions?

Thank you very much,

J. Scott

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Can I get some opinions on this stock list I have developed for our future 75 gallon FOWLR tank please?:

My Idea so far:

1st purchase:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Tailspot Blenny
Good
2nd Purchase (couple months later)
1 Royal Gamma
1 Fathead Sunburst Anthias
1 Electric Blue Hermit Crab
Good though that is a low swimming anthias and you may want a top of the tank one.

3rd purchase (month later)
1 yellow watchman goby paired with
1 Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp
Good
4th purchase
1 wrasse
Note: Only getting a wrasse cause I hear its needed for pest control - kind of scared of the bully comments I read.
Where on earth did you hear this :face-with-tears-of-joy: . So long as you avoid a sixline or one of the not reefsafe species they are one of the most peaceful fish. There are so many wrasse and most in the hobby are very peaceful.
So far I hear a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse is a good peaceful one (do they clean fish as well?). Any other ideas?
Flashers are very peaceful and very pretty but do not eat pests or clean fish. The McCoskers is nice but look into the blue, filamented, linespot etc. Fairy wrasse are similar though some of the bigger ones can be aggressive to other fairies. Good fairy wrasse are the social, exquisite, lubbocks, hooded flame, or lunar tail.

For pests I suggest either a small halichoeres or pink streak wrasse. The best halichoeres are the (chrysus) yellow, radiant, dusky margined, or melanarus.
You may also consider possum wrasse or leopard wrasse.

1 flame angel
1 two spot Bristletooth tang or 1 yellow tang (if a yellow tang can fit).
These are both far more aggressive then the wrasse I suggested. Angelfish are usually good with other fish but can be very grumpy with other angels. Tangs though are very aggressive fish especially in smaller tanks. They are active and territorial. If you are worried about algae then snails and urchins. Or a onespot foxface.
Is this too much fish?
Nope
Any suggestions?
Other then the wrasse I suggest getting some fun inverts. Cleaner shrimp, serpent stars, crabs. FIsh suggestions, maybe a longnose hawkfish though it may bully the goby and shrimp. In a FOWLR you could get a pearlscale or other butterfly.
Thank you very much,

J. Scott

rennjidk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 25g cube I'm still trying to decide how to stock. It's only inhabitant is a mandarin dragonet. I know I don't want clowns, pj or b. cardinals, or non-brightly colored fish. Any thoughts on a decent stocking with compatible inhabitants that will exist peacefully together?

Edit: I'm also wanting fish that are free swimming, not something hiding in the rockwork or burrowing all day until feeding.

Last edited:

BurtG

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Opinions on my stock list? Too much or aggression issues? This is a 4' 75 gallon with a 40 gallon sump. Lots of rock work and caves.
Current stock:
Yellow Tang (baby small currently)
3x Royal gramma
Red/Green Mandarin pair
Midas blenny (currently the most aggressive fish in the tank, no attacks but a little territorial against the grammas)
Lawnmower blenny
Maybe a dozen Cerith snails (God knows since they are breeding now)
1 fighting conch
2 strawberry conchs
2 Mexican turbos

Would like To get and add:
20 Trocus snails
One spot Fox face
Tommy tang
Aphasia eating file fish
Blue Tuxedo urchin

Small copper band (if I can get one that's already eating known foods)

Yellow watchman and shrimp? Would it get along with the gobie and blenny? Would something eat the shrimp?

Least aggressive clownfish? I'm worried a clownfish would become the most aggressive fish in the tank. Would like a pair... but I know that will make them even more aggressive... what species is the least aggressive?

Ruby Mandarin pair (down the road) once the greens are super fat and happy confirming there's excess food in the tank for them.

Fire fish Exquisite and Helfrichi (low priority)

Very hesitant maybe:
Small wrasse for pest control? Something peaceful and small to minimize impact on pod population?

There are no corals in the tank currently. But I plan to add a bunch once I have all the fish I want in it. Probably just going to place a large order to tidal gardens to fully stock the coral in one go.

So... too many fish? The Filtration is currently a filter roller and large refugium with the plans and ability to add a protein skimmer soon. I want the skimmer more to use a co2 scrubber on to increase ph, but can run it to remove organics obviously.

I guess I'm most hesitant about the 2nd tang and the clowns. The tang I have is small currently and I was figuring I'd use an acclimation box to introduce a new one.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back