Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dragonets are difficult if you don’t know how to meet their requirements. As soon as you find their requirements and can keep up with them they’re easy as any other species IME.

As for it sometimes working out, it’s likely the Falco may munch on small species of crabs like porcelain anemone crabs.
what if instead of Falco I went longnose would that work?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what if instead of Falco I went longnose would that work?
Shrimp are at risk, with most hawkfish you risk aggression (towards other fish and not just inverts) and also predation towards inverts.

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shrimp are at risk, with most hawkfish you risk aggression (towards other fish and not just inverts) and also predation towards inverts.
I don't think I would like to have shrimp at any point because I've heard that although they are good cleaners just like hermit crabs they like to kill snails and fish that's not worth it in my opinion snails are just way cooler and as far as eating other fish goes It should be fine as long as every fish is at least 3 quarters of its size correct?

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170 Gallon Fish-Only tank (60"L x 20"W x 30"H) with the following fish:
  • Queen Angel
  • King Angel
  • Emperor Angel (Juvenile)
  • Blue Hippo Tang (x2)
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral Beauty
  • Lemonpeel Angel
  • Picasso Triggerfish
  • Oxina Cardinalfish
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Diamond Goby
I was thinking of adding a few:
  1. Dusky Margined Wrasse
  2. Melanurus Wrasse [edit]
  3. Dot Dash Butterflyfish
  4. Pearlscale Butterflyfish
  5. 3-5 Azure Damselfish
Any incompatibilities to look out for with these new additions? How many damsels make sense to keep together? If it makes any difference, I don't have rockwork, but have several caves and artificial plant decorations that the fish use to hide in.

Last edited:

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 170 Gallon Fish-Only tank (60"L x 20"W x 30"H) with the following fish:
  • Queen Angel
  • King Angel
  • Emperor Angel (Juvenile)
  • Blue Hippo Tang (x2)
  • Powder Brown Tang
  • Clownfish (x3)
  • Coral Beauty
  • Lemonpeel Angel
  • Picasso Triggerfish
  • Oxina Cardinalfish
  • Flame Hawkfish
  • Diamond Goby
I was thinking of adding a few:
  1. Dusky Margined Wrasse
  2. Dot Dash Butterflyfish
  3. Pearlscale Butterflyfish
  4. 3-5 Azure Damselfish
Any incompatibilities to look out for with these new additions? How many damsels make sense to keep together? If it makes any difference, I don't have rockwork, but have several caves and artificial plant decorations that the fish use to hide in.
I mean I'm no expert in fact you should take everything I say with a grain of salt but just be careful with the Picasso and any smaller fish because (again everything with a grain of salt and you should probably wait for someone else) I've heard that Picasso triggers can be quite aggressive and I've seen them rip fish to pieces

jeremyg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I'm no expert in fact you should take everything I say with a grain of salt but just be careful with the Picasso and any smaller fish because (again everything with a grain of salt and you should probably wait for someone else) I've heard that Picasso triggers can be quite aggressive and I've seen them rip fish to pieces
Funny (or sad) you should mention that. So far he has not bothered any of the smaller fish, and he also hasn't really been a problem, until last week.

My Queen started harassing the juvenile 4.5" Gray angel out of the blue. It started nipping at it's tail fins and before I had a chance to pull out the Gray, a bunch of other fish got in the action, including the trigger. I can't be certain, but pretty sure the trigger nibbled a little hole in the side of the poor angel while it was hiding in a cave. I was able to get him out, but he didn't make it through the night.

Anyhow, long story short, the trigger doesn't appear to be an aggressor, but can do damage if a fish is already suffering.

FishTank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny (or sad) you should mention that. So far he has not bothered any of the smaller fish, and he also hasn't really been a problem, until last week.

My Queen started harassing the juvenile 4.5" Gray angel out of the blue. It started nipping at it's tail fins and before I had a chance to pull out the Gray, a bunch of other fish got in the action, including the trigger. I can't be certain, but pretty sure the trigger nibbled a little hole in the side of the poor angel while it was hiding in a cave. I was able to get him out, but he didn't make it through the night.

Anyhow, long story short, the trigger doesn't appear to be an aggressor, but can do damage if a fish is already suffering.
yeah what I'm building right now is my first saltwater aquarium but I've had similar things happen in fresh water to make a long story short never keep catfish with other fish no matter how big the other fish are while you cleaning out your aquarium I lost 8 tetras and 2 angelfish to 2 pictus catfish and a 5 gallon bucket

Budman93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 40g IM. Just lost my pygmy filefish to some form of parasite that really bummed me out. Currently treating the tank now over the next few weeks.

My stock list right now is a Tailspot Blenny, Pink Clark Damsel, and watchman goby. Along with a cleaner shrimp, snails and a couple hermits.

Was looking at adding a Valentini Puffer. I understand he will likely make a meal out of the shrimp and maybe some snails but I dont really mind rehoming the shrimp. Has anyone had experience with the Mimic Saddle Puffer? Would they be less likely to eat a shrimp?

wzf106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef 120 gallon 4ft tank with

2 mocha storm clowns
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 firefish
1 royal gramma
1 cleaner shrimp
and some misc snails

Looking to add

1 melanurus Wrasse
1 firefox
1 scopa tang/yellow tang?
1 bristletooth tang/powder blue tang?
2 captive bred mandarin gobies - last addition in attempt to improve pod population.

Any thoughts on the stock list? I def want the mandarins, i am trying to get them captive bred so they can be fed regular food. I initally wanted a yellow tang instead of the scopas, but since they are hard to find in stock anymore, settled on the scopas. Heard the PBTs are ich magnets and hard to keep so maybe a pass on that. Are there any other fish i should consider? TIA!

Last edited:

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a mixed reef 120 gallon 4ft tank with

2 mocha storm clowns
1 yellow coris wrasse
1 firefish
1 royal gramma
1 cleaner shrimp
and some misc snails

Looking to add

1 melanurus Wrasse
1 firefox
1 scopa tang/yellow tang?
1 bristletooth tang/powder blue tang?
2 captive bred mandarin gobies - last addition in attempt to improve pod population.

Any thoughts on the stock list? I def want the mandarins, i am trying to get them captive bred so they can be fed regular food. I initally wanted a yellow tang instead of the scopas, but since they are hard to find in stock anymore, settled on the scopas. Heard the PBTs are ich magnets and hard to keep so maybe a pass on that. Are there any other fish i should consider? TIA!
By Firefox do you mean foxface?

So yes a powder blue tang is difficult and can start a disease outbreak in a tank. Personally I don’t like tangs and their aggression but a bristletooth and yellow/scopes would work in that tank.

Other than that it is a pretty good list but don’t be surprised if your tangs bully/scare the firefish to death.

Personally I’d add some fairy wrasse and maybe a leopard wrasse to the mix and a fun blenny.

wzf106

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By Firefox do you mean foxface?

So yes a powder blue tang is difficult and can start a disease outbreak in a tank. Personally I don’t like tangs and their aggression but a bristletooth and yellow/scopes would work in that tank.

Other than that it is a pretty good list but don’t be surprised if your tangs bully/scare the firefish to death.

Personally I’d add some fairy wrasse and maybe a leopard wrasse to the mix and a fun blenny.
hahaha, yeah foxface...not sure what i was thinking. lol

I am considering either a flasher or fairy wrasse as well, maybe a carpenter wrasse....

any recommendations on a blenny?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha, yeah foxface...not sure what i was thinking. lol

I am considering either a flasher or fairy wrasse as well, maybe a carpenter wrasse....

any recommendations on a blenny?
Flasher wrasse can be shy but if you add before the tangs and let it get comfortable it should work.

For a blenny it depends what you want. A Midas blenny is very active and pretty fish. While if you want a lazier but funnier fish then I suggest a lawnmower blenny. Then most other blennies are somewhere in between.

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m very new to the hobby, I’ve been keeping a reef tank for about 2.5 months now and it has been going swimmingly (hehe) but I’m looking to add new fish and want to make sure it will work out. Right now my stock list is:
1 zebra dartfish
1 tailspot blenny
3 red leg hermits
3 cerith snails
3 bumblebee snails
1 conch
1 emerald crab
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

This is all in a 20 gallon, I do weekly 10% water changes and I would like to add two or three of the following: possum wrasse, purple firefish, royal gramma, or pistol shrimp/ goby combo. I’m worried about aggression possibly due to overcrowding, my priority is keeping a 100% peaceful tank although I do have a ton of live rock with plenty of hiding places and caves and such. I’ve been doing lots of reading and all of these seem compatible, just wanna see if anyone kept these exact species together and also if space would be an issue in a 20g.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I’m very new to the hobby, I’ve been keeping a reef tank for about 2.5 months now and it has been going swimmingly (hehe) but I’m looking to add new fish and want to make sure it will work out. Right now my stock list is:
1 zebra dartfish
1 tailspot blenny
3 red leg hermits
3 cerith snails
3 bumblebee snails
1 conch
1 emerald crab
1 skunk cleaner shrimp

This is all in a 20 gallon, I do weekly 10% water changes and I would like to add two or three of the following: possum wrasse, purple firefish, royal gramma, or pistol shrimp/ goby combo. I’m worried about aggression possibly due to overcrowding, my priority is keeping a 100% peaceful tank although I do have a ton of live rock with plenty of hiding places and caves and such. I’ve been doing lots of reading and all of these seem compatible, just wanna see if anyone kept these exact species together and also if space would be an issue in a 20g.
Welcome!
I wouldn’t mix a dart fish and firefish as firefish are dart fish and if you are to get aggression it would be from the royal gramma. The other fish are good though. Possum wrasse are really fun and the shrimp goby combo is a great watch. Other suggestions would be a clown goby or more inverts like a fire shrimp, porcelain crab, and/or brittle star.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks so much to all of you who help other reefers (specifically in this thread, but in general all around R2R)! Our community wouldn't be the same without you!!

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 120g mixed reef and am looking for an active but non-aggressive (enough) group of fish, with some personality. Nothing too fancy at least right now.

2x Ocellarus-type clowns. Prefer juveniles or pair. Maybe snowflake.
Royal Gramma.
Yellow coris wrasse, (melanurus)
Foxface (probably one spot for size)
Midas Blenny (starry?)
Tomini Tang
Maybe once tank is matured a little (and I get an autofeeder), a few lyretail (MFF) anthias, flasher or fairy wrasse.

I suppose the tang would be the last addition.

Any thoughts on other fish to add?

jrevoman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome!
I wouldn’t mix a dart fish and firefish as firefish are dart fish and if you are to get aggression it would be from the royal gramma. The other fish are good though. Possum wrasse are really fun and the shrimp goby combo is a great watch. Other suggestions would be a clown goby or more inverts like a fire shrimp, porcelain crab, and/or brittle star.
Mkay, I’ve seen ppl here say they’ve had success with firefish and scissortails/zebras but maybe they had a bigger tank and always better safe than sorry. Really appreciate the response!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mkay, I’ve seen ppl here say they’ve had success with firefish and scissortails/zebras but maybe they had a bigger tank and always better safe than sorry. Really appreciate the response!
Yeah if given their own territories but in a 20 gallon that would be difficult I think. May work though just a bit of a risk

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a 120g mixed reef and am looking for an active but non-aggressive (enough) group of fish, with some personality. Nothing too fancy at least right now.
Welcome! that is a great sized tank and a peaceful tank is very possible.
2x Ocellarus-type clowns. Prefer juveniles or pair. Maybe snowflake.
Doesn't matter so long as ocellaris
Royal Gramma.
Great fish
Yellow coris wrasse, (melanurus)
Either or both though there are some other pretty Halichoeres wrasse you may consider like the radiant or redhead.
Foxface (probably one spot for size)
Any will work though Magnificent are sometimes aggressive
Midas Blenny (starry?)
Either but not both. Midas are not like other blenny but rather swim around most of the time
Tomini Tang
This is a fish I'd skip if you can. Its just that tangs are naturally aggressive and it will make it difficult to have more sensitive fish. You can and it may help with algae but I prefer snails.
Maybe once tank is matured a little (and I get an autofeeder), a few lyretail (MFF) anthias,
Anthias have an unfortunate reputation for killing eachother. If you do I'd get just one or 5+. That will stop/spread out aggression amongst themselves. I also suggest a smaller species.
A great early fish. I suggest two or three different species. My favorite are blue flashers though every species is stunning.
or fairy wrasse.
I suggest the exquisite, rhomboid, lubbocks, hooded, and naoko though I could make a very long list
I suppose the tang would be the last addition.
Yep
Any thoughts on other fish to add?
Consider a leopard wrasse.

Here is my peaceful 110 for other fish ideas:
  • Frostbite & domino clownfish, Amphiprion ocellaris
  • Benggai cardinalfish, Pterapogon kauderni
  • Red firefish, Nemateleotris magnifica
  • Common foxface, Siganus vulpinus
  • Royal gramma, Gramma loreto
  • Midas blenny, Ecsenius midas
  • 2 Mandarins, Synchiropus splendidus
  • Orange spot goby, Amblyeleotris guttata
  • Red Sea leopard wrasse, Macropharyngodon marisrubri
  • Radiant wrasse, Halichoeres iridis
  • Pink streaked wrasse, Pseudocheilinops ataenia
  • Lunar fairy wrasse, Cirrhilabrus lunatus
  • Exquisite fairy wrasse, Cirrhilabrus exquisitus
  • Timor wrasse, Halichoeres timorensis
  • Yellowtail wrasse, Anampses meleagrides
  • Red saddled anthias, Pyronotanthias flavoguttatus

chonsworth

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions and feedback:
I have a waterbox 100.3 (70G display, ~100G system total)

Growing some corals so not FOWLR.

Current stocking:

- 1 Kole tang
- 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
- 2 Ocellaris clownfish (I'm likely getting rid of the larger/female, total jerk)
- 2 Black Bar Chromis
- 1 Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Springeri)
- CUC

(I just lost my lawnmower blenny, pretty sure the tang kept him from coming out to eat/graze).

I've heard you can have multiple coris wrasses together, I absolutely love the one I have, he's out during a specific time of day, very active, personable and then he goes to bed at on a schedule - so I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 more?

However, I generally don't know what would be other good options for my tank, so many options; there's plenty of swimming space up top, so something that enjoys water column would probably be happiest? Ideas?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for suggestions and feedback:
I have a waterbox 100.3 (70G display, ~100G system total)

Growing some corals so not FOWLR.

Current stocking:

- 1 Kole tang
- 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse
- 2 Ocellaris clownfish (I'm likely getting rid of the larger/female, total jerk)
- 2 Black Bar Chromis
- 1 Blue Sapphire Damselfish (Springeri)
- CUC

(I just lost my lawnmower blenny, pretty sure the tang kept him from coming out to eat/graze).

I've heard you can have multiple coris wrasses together, I absolutely love the one I have, he's out during a specific time of day, very active, personable and then he goes to bed at on a schedule - so I was thinking of adding 1 or 2 more?

However, I generally don't know what would be other good options for my tank, so many options; there's plenty of swimming space up top, so something that enjoys water column would probably be happiest? Ideas?
So to start with a yellow coris is not a coris wrasse which is confusing I know. It is a halichoeres. Coris wrasse are big and aggressive. You can have multiple halichoeres wrasse in the same tank but not of the same species. If you like the look of the Yellow (not coris) wrasse then I suggest the silver belly wrasse, H leucoxanthus, however my favorite is the radiant, H iridis, and I just got a dusky margined myself, H marginatus, which is beautiful!
IMG_3165.jpeg IMG_3536.jpeg
As for top of the tank fish I suggest a fairy wrasse but with an aggressive tang that might be difficult. Use an acclimation box if you can. There are a ton of fairy wrasse but I suggest the exquisite, the rhomboid, Naoko, ruby longfin, or hooded flame. You could also get more than one (just not of the same species).
IMG_1928.jpeg IMG_2567.jpeg
Another fish you could go with for the water column is an Anthias. I’m not great with anthias so you’d have to research the tank size and they will need multiple feeds per day. My favorite though rare is the red saddled, Pyronotanthias flavoguttatus:
IMG_3393.jpeg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%
Back