Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

foxt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm considering blue-star leopards myself, and would probably get two or three females, with the hope that one will transition. Males, from what I've read, don't always transport or adjust as well, and generally cost considerably more than females.
I have read what I can find about these leopards, and would probably need to add her (or them) early on. I've also read that if you have just a single female, there is a good chance that she will transition to male. So I'd either want to get two females up front, or get the female settled and then add another one as I come across one. My LFS tells me that they have never had one but they could order one for me. I am not sure I want to buy this on liveaquaria, although the 14 day guarantee is something that would come in handy with this fish. There was one on Divers Den today, but it didn't last long. Where do you think you would get yours from?

Looking at your QT population, I'd consider adding fish to your display in stages; dartfish and chromis early on, both perching blennies together or tailspot first (the midas shouldn't care much about the tailspot or lawnmower), flasher wrasses together and a week or three before the fairies, and so on ... and/or use a social acclimation box! I don't foresee a _ton_ of aggression among your group, but some of the wrasses could get a little uppity with one another from time to time. Saw a (grey/brown) waspfish in a 500 gallon reef over the weekend - _very_ cool to suddenly notice that guy in there.
That's about the same order I was planning. I've been shopping around a couple of different LFS as well as Divers Den, and lining these up in stages. My first fish could be headed for the display tank in about a week, if all goes well, and then I'll hopefully be moving the rest of them every couple of weeks. I plan on making good use of a social acclimation box! The chromis are starting to get aggressive towards each other in the 10g tank they are in, so I wonder if the will even make it out of QT together.

Saw a (grey/brown) waspfish in a 500 gallon reef over the weekend - _very_ cool to suddenly notice that guy in there.
My little guy is only about 1.5 inches long and a nice combination of white/red. He just started QT about a week ago, and he's eating frozen mysis. Very funny to watch him pounce on them.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to buy fish from LFS when I can. I can kinda cheat, though, as NY Aquatic is close enough for me to do a local pickup there. All by itself, that adds up to a better selection than most folks have access to, with a lot less shipping.

~Bruce

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do people feel about a pair of maroon clowns, valentini and a yellow spot scorpion in a 20?
I'm a bit worried about the clowns aggression...
Thanks!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any captivity bred Goby? A tiny ONE for an 8 gallon tank?

A coral goby or two in an 8gal would be cool! They have been bred before if memory serves me right, I'm not sure if there are any available now though.
This is what I want to do if I keep my 8gal going :)

PapaRubz04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just set up a 55 gallon tank I know kind of small just starting out in this awesome hobby that's saltwater marine life. I was wondering what kind of fish I could have in my tank that will be great with corals. Looking for some fish with color obviously going with at least one clownfish. Any help would be appreciated.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've still got lots of choices...

Some of the more peaceful damselfish, such as azures, Allen's or Talbot's, will add a flash of color just above the rocks.

Dartfish, such as the zebra bar or blue gudgeon, will hover higher in the water column - in a group, if you'd like, and wait for plankton to drift by.

Firefish - single, unless you can find a mated pair - will do the same thing, but closer to a quiet hiding-place.

Royal gramma will take up residence in a cave, and defend it against all comers. Yellow or MacNeill's assessor will stay close to the caves as well, and sometimes they'll even swim right-side-up.

A cherubfish, coral beauty or flame angelfish would dart among the rocks, weaving in and out of crevices and channels ... but may nip at LPS.

Gobies and blennies will stay close to the rock or even the sand. Some gobies will team up with a shrimp to build a home. One exception is the midas blenny - they'll stay up above the rock much of the time, and pretend they're an anthias.

Smaller fairy and flasher wrasses will weave and dart above and among the rocks, in pursuit of plankton or sometimes rival wrasses.

You might take a peek 'round over at LiveAquaria - they've got pretty good info on the fish they carry, and you can decide which ones you like enough to investigate further, and research which ones will do well in a 55 gallon tank.

~Bruce

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have read what I can find about these leopards, and would probably need to add her (or them) early on. I've also read that if you have just a single female, there is a good chance that she will transition to male. So I'd either want to get two females up front, or get the female settled and then add another one as I come across one. My LFS tells me that they have never had one but they could order one for me. I am not sure I want to buy this on liveaquaria, although the 14 day guarantee is something that would come in handy with this fish. There was one on Divers Den today, but it didn't last long. Where do you think you would get yours from?

That's about the same order I was planning. I've been shopping around a couple of different LFS as well as Divers Den, and lining these up in stages. My first fish could be headed for the display tank in about a week, if all goes well, and then I'll hopefully be moving the rest of them every couple of weeks. I plan on making good use of a social acclimation box! The chromis are starting to get aggressive towards each other in the 10g tank they are in, so I wonder if the will even make it out of QT together.

My little guy is only about 1.5 inches long and a nice combination of white/red. He just started QT about a week ago, and he's eating frozen mysis. Very funny to watch him pounce on them.
Leopard wrasdes are less likely to transition to male in captivity than fairy, flasher, and Halichoeres wrasses.
How do people feel about a pair of maroon clowns, valentini and a yellow spot scorpion in a 20?
I'm a bit worried about the clowns aggression...
Thanks!
I wouldn't put a pr of maroons in anything less than 50g. Females are particularly aggressive, even to the male of the pr., and even more aggressive when spawning.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leopard wrasdes are less likely to transition to male in captivity than fairy, flasher, and Halichoeres wrasses.

I wouldn't put a pr of maroons in anything less than 50g. Females are particularly aggressive, even to the male of the pr., and even more aggressive when spawning.

Dang. I suspected as much, but thought it was worth asking. I don't like to assume anything these days [emoji28]
Thanks!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang. I suspected as much, but thought it was worth asking. I don't like to assume anything these days [emoji28]
Thanks!
Some will transition, but it's not the foregone conclusion that it is with other wrasses.

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have given me good advice so far...

45 gallon mixed reef...

Flame hawk
Starry Blenny
Cherub Angel
2 Ocellaris Clownfish

Just seen a pic of Gumdrop coral croucher Any chance he can go in tank?
I suspect no :(

Wanted something other than a wrasse...
I still would like something that is a swimmer as well

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys have given me good advice so far...

45 gallon mixed reef...

Flame hawk
Starry Blenny
Cherub Angel
2 Ocellaris Clownfish

Just seen a pic of Gumdrop coral croucher Any chance he can go in tank?
I suspect no :(

Wanted something other than a wrasse...
I still would like something that is a swimmer as well
A gumdrop coral croucher is compatible, but are very inactive and stay hidden out view almost all the time.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang @eatbreakfast. I knew you were a very knowledgable person, but I swear you're some sort of living fish encyclopaedia...

I saw gumdrop coral croucher were mentioned just a few comments ago. These guys seems fairly docile, do they get along with each other? I swear every time I see a cool fish I think about changing the direction of the new build...

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang @eatbreakfast. I knew you were a very knowledgable person, but I swear you're some sort of living fish encyclopaedia...

I saw gumdrop coral croucher were mentioned just a few comments ago. These guys seems fairly docile, do they get along with each other? I swear every time I see a cool fish I think about changing the direction of the new build...
Thanks.

Unless you have a tiny tank, or don't care if you never see your fish then I wouldn't suggest gumdrop coral crouchers. They are super peaceful and don't bother other fish, they are just extremely secretive.

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add 2 small blue damsels to my 1 1/2 yr old 120 gallon. Current fish are:
2 1/2" yellow tang
3- 2" Occ. Clowns
Splendid dottyback
Royal Gramma
Fire fish goby
Green Chromis

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could I add 2 small blue damsels to my 1 1/2 yr old 120 gallon. Current fish are:
2 1/2" yellow tang
3- 2" Occ. Clowns
Splendid dottyback
Royal Gramma
Fire fish goby
Green Chromis
Yes, that should be fine.

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok another question? Could I possibly add a medium sized tomato clownfish also? Just picked up some rock from someone and there were a tomato clown and another possible some type of clown in with the rock.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 31 29.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 24 22.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 22 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back