Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy or flasher wrasses, though post up specific species because some fairy wrasses arr more aggressive than others.

Black axil chromis are better behaved in groups than blue reef chromis

Other possibilities include: a group of zebra or scissortail dartfish, purple tilefish, sunburst anthias.

You could add a few.

That plan would work.

There is a risk of increased aggression, but still may be possible.

Does the 1 inch per 5 g really apply or depends on export and length of tank?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the present stock I have it amounts to about 40 inches based on adult size
Not sure if I follow that guideline or just see how my parameters are when adding a couple more fish
Thanks again for ur answers.
Aquarium footprint, sump footprint, skimming capacity, length of overflow, surface agitation, temperature, fish activity, fish respiration, aggression, amount of live rock, how porous the liverock is, among others all factor in.

Inches of fish per gallon is useless.

Edmund Y.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium footprint, sump footprint, skimming capacity, length of overflow, surface agitation, temperature, fish activity, fish respiration, aggression, amount of live rock, how porous the liverock is, among others all factor in.

Inches of fish per gallon is useless.
Thank you!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fairy or flasher wrasses, though post up specific species because some fairy wrasses arr more aggressive than others.

How about a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse along with an Exquisite Firefish being added at the same time? If those are Ok together, any problems with them both going through quarantine together...I've seen that some wrasses have difficulties in quarantine. And, is it best to introduce the McCosker's as a male/female combo at the same time...or can they be added separately at different times?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a McCosker's Flasher Wrasse along with an Exquisite Firefish being added at the same time? If those are Ok together, any problems with them both going through quarantine together...I've seen that some wrasses have difficulties in quarantine. And, is it best to introduce the McCosker's as a male/female combo at the same time...or can they be added separately at different times?
Mckoskers and firefish are fine together and in qt.

Only get 1 mckoskers. Wrasses don't form prs. If you want more wrasses get multiple species.

acesfull44

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
150g Deep
Currently have:
Chocolate Tang, Mag Foxface, Orangeback Wrasse, Melannarus Wrasse, Xmas Wrasse, Corris Wrasse

Want List:
Purple or Yellow Tang, Flame Angel (I want this bad), Hawk Fish, Watanabe Angel, Fire Shrimp, others???

I would love to hear arguments of which combo if the number to add was 2 or 3, which order to add them and why?

I have 2 G4 Radions, 2x MP40, 1 x MP 10, 60×24×20 sump, Dos Alk and Cal w DOS/DDR, 30 gal water changes every 2 weeks.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
150g Deep
Currently have:
Chocolate Tang, Mag Foxface, Orangeback Wrasse, Melannarus Wrasse, Xmas Wrasse, Corris Wrasse

Want List:
Purple or Yellow Tang, Flame Angel (I want this bad), Hawk Fish, Watanabe Angel, Fire Shrimp, others???

I would love to hear arguments of which combo if the number to add was 2 or 3, which order to add them and why?

I have 2 G4 Radions, 2x MP40, 1 x MP 10, 60×24×20 sump, Dos Alk and Cal w DOS/DDR, 30 gal water changes every 2 weeks.
The flame angel is a risk with coral.

Fire shrimp are at risk with the melanurus and coris wrasse.

As long as your nutrient levels stay in check you could any any and/or all of your wishlist. Just monitor aggression from the chocolate tang toward the new tangs and angels.

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on converting my freshwater tank into a reef tank and need help with the stocking.

My tank is a bowfront tank measuring about 23x14x17 (inches), so 25 Gallons /100 Liters.
I plan on making a custom sump with a ten gallon aquarium that will hold about 7 gallons and have a small protein skimmer and a refugium (maybe a small ATO)

My plans about the stocking are still pretty vague, but I think of starting with:

A pair of ocellaris clownfish
A yellow Watchamn Goby
1 other swimming fish (Yellow Tail damsel,fridmani,cardinnal fish,royal gramma or neon goby)
1 or 2 shrimp (peppermint and cleaner, either one or both)
A small clean up crew (hermit crabs, snails and maybe a fighting conch)
And opcionally after some months I plan on buying a BBT anenome
And maybe 1 or 2 mollies (but these are really opcional)

I will of course introduce these fish slowly after a cycling period.
Any help would be good.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on converting my freshwater tank into a reef tank and need help with the stocking.

My tank is a bowfront tank measuring about 23x14x17 (inches), so 25 Gallons /100 Liters.
I plan on making a custom sump with a ten gallon aquarium that will hold about 7 gallons and have a small protein skimmer and a refugium (maybe a small ATO)

My plans about the stocking are still pretty vague, but I think of starting with:

A pair of ocellaris clownfish
A yellow Watchamn Goby
1 other swimming fish (Yellow Tail damsel,fridmani,cardinnal fish,royal gramma or neon goby)
1 or 2 shrimp (peppermint and cleaner, either one or both)
A small clean up crew (hermit crabs, snails and maybe a fighting conch)
And opcionally after some months I plan on buying a BBT anenome
And maybe 1 or 2 mollies (but these are really opcional)

I will of course introduce these fish slowly after a cycling period.
Any help would be good.
Your plan seems reasonable.

a;lksdjf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently future planning on a 200 gallon FOWLR predator tank.
1 blue throat triggerfish
1 volitan lionfish
1 angler or leaf fish
1 marine betta
1 zebra moray eel
1 porcupine puffer
1 harlequin tusk
any compatibility issues between these fish or tank size issues?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently future planning on a 200 gallon FOWLR predator tank.
1 blue throat triggerfish
1 volitan lionfish
1 angler or leaf fish
1 marine betta
1 zebra moray eel
1 porcupine puffer
1 harlequin tusk
any compatibility issues between these fish or tank size issues?
Angler/leaffish may get nipped by the puffer.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would a Bi-color Blenny do in my 255g with a Gold Midas already at home in there?

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, im not exactly new but id like an oppinion on fish i can add with my golden dwarf moray.

Partner goby, sand sifting goby, any larger blenny variant eg. starry blenny, orchid dottyback.

Any help is appreciated!

49b60e1b778141fb10bc04459f802a6a.jpg
You should get some striped blennies! I breed them and they are a great fish to have. Their coloring is very vivid, a bright golden yellow that covers the first half of the fish.
591fd9a95fcd30e5858e860984db3733.jpg
129e29bb1376892d9ed35d355af71ec2.jpg
It has a inquisitive personality, very peaceful fish. There’s not even fighting between the males. They love to find little holes to use as their cave. Then they will sit in there and peek out their head. Their mating dances go on forever and they are elaborate. Very neat to watch. They are inexpensive, priced anywhere from 15-30$. Petco has them from ORA and they sell for 24$ I believe.
I could go on but I’m sure that you want to see some pics. Here you go.

Charlie_11278

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fire shrimp and I'm looking forward to adding a cleaner shrimp to my future 60 gal will they coexist? So they can eat the parasites off of my fishes
20180813_184639.jpeg
20180721_141157.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two fire shrimp and I'm looking forward to adding a cleaner shrimp to my future 60 gal will they coexist? So they can eat the parasites off of my fishes
20180813_184639.jpeg
20180721_141157.jpeg
They will coexist. But they don't do a great job of eating parasites, particularly protazoans, such as ich and velvet.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 102 75.6%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back