Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Charlie_11278

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing to the level that would keep them under control.

The most effective means of controlling parasite outbreaks is a rigorous qt protocol.
Sorry to ask but I have for green chromis and one seems to have a pink/red dot on its left fin so I'm not sure what it is. If its injured ( was being picked on by damsels) or if its sick so I can qt it
20181120_055435.jpeg
20181120_055425.jpeg
20181120_055422.jpeg

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to ask but I have for green chromis and one seems to have a pink/red dot on its left fin so I'm not sure what it is. If its injured ( was being picked on by damsels) or if its sick so I can qt it
20181120_055435.jpeg
20181120_055425.jpeg
20181120_055422.jpeg
I can't tell what that is, but the folks in the Fish Disease and Diagnosis forum can help.

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or how about a Candy Basslet with the Midas Blenny? I know big price difference but one that I have been going back and forth with myself over....but at that price I want zero aggression....only other one in my tank I would be concerned with would be my Yellowtail Damsel but he could be re-homed if necessary. But I love the Midas Blenny.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or how about a Candy Basslet with the Midas Blenny? I know big price difference but one that I have been going back and forth with myself over....but at that price I want zero aggression....only other one in my tank I would be concerned with would be my Yellowtail Damsel but he could be re-homed if necessary. But I love the Midas Blenny.
The midas blenny should ignore the basslet.

Kirschy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
49b60e1b778141fb10bc04459f802a6a.jpg
You should get some striped blennies! I breed them and they are a great fish to have. Their coloring is very vivid, a bright golden yellow that covers the first half of the fish.
591fd9a95fcd30e5858e860984db3733.jpg
129e29bb1376892d9ed35d355af71ec2.jpg
It has a inquisitive personality, very peaceful fish. There’s not even fighting between the males. They love to find little holes to use as their cave. Then they will sit in there and peek out their head. Their mating dances go on forever and they are elaborate. Very neat to watch. They are inexpensive, priced anywhere from 15-30$. Petco has them from ORA and they sell for 24$ I believe.
I could go on but I’m sure that you want to see some pics. Here you go.
Sadly im from europe, didnt see them around yet. They look similar to kamahara blennys. Are they related somehow? Will look into those guys. Very cool ur breeding succesfull:)

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly im from europe, didnt see them around yet. They look similar to kamahara blennys. Are they related somehow? Will look into those guys. Very cool ur breeding succesfull:)

Yes, there are a bunch of them that all look alike. They are a fun fish to have in your aquarium. They are very curious and very docile fish. They get along with most other tank members.

pdisner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oh and thank you about the breeding. Yes. I’ve been successful with those and Bangaii Cardinals. Here’s a pic of my juveniles that I have bread. You can see the cardinal in the back. He’s the only one I have left out of 18 in that clutch.
3029f5afdcbe1ec4084871631af20419.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Please be honest. I would love to have a BTA. I have a Tailspot, neon goby, Pike Blenny, hi fin goby, clownfish. I have been cautioned they will be eaten by a bta. With feeding, how likely is that to happen?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please be honest. I would love to have a BTA. I have a Tailspot, neon goby, Pike Blenny, hi fin goby, clownfish. I have been cautioned they will be eaten by a bta. With feeding, how likely is that to happen?
What size tank? In a small tank contact is likely. In a larger tank fish can avoid an anemone better.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost all but one fish to a pump malfunction a few months back. I put her in quarantine and let my tank go fallow in order to start over the right way. I’m trying to decide what direction to go. Tank is 125 gallon with a 29 gallon sump/refugium.

The remaining fish is a shy yellowtail damsel. The other inhabitants are a large and a small thin stripe hermit, various snails, some palys, some riccordia, and a pink hairy mushroom. Most of my corals are fake.

I will be picking up a Foxface this weekend.

I have a chance to get a 24” snowflake eel when I pick up a 20 gallon long to make quarantining larger fish more comfortable. Which leads us to option 1. A predator tank with larger community fish. I will put the hermits in my refugium so they don’t get eaten.
Dwarf Zebra Lion
Valentini Puffer
Blue Spot Puffer
Columbian Shark
Kole Tang
Other tangs
Coral Beauty or Flame Angel
More damsels
Maybe put the few real corals in my refugium and add a starfish

Or Community
2-4 more yellowtail damsels
Royal Gramma
O. Clown pair
Banggai Cardinal pair
Tuxedo Urchin
Shrimp
Kole Tang
Other tangs
Columbian Shark
Goby of some sort
Blenny of some sort
Serpent Star

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Canary Blenny that is about 3" long. I have heard they can become aggressive with other fish that resemble them. Does this include different colors as well? Could I add a Flame Tail/Gold Tail Blenny to the tank? My tank is a Waterbox 135.4 which is 48x24x20.

Blenny1.jpg

Applegate

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 60 gallon mixed reef with 2 clowns and two small blennies. I found a lined butterfly fish from live aquaria. They say it only requires 50 gallons and grows up to 6 inches. Anyone familiar with this fish that can confirm or deny?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 60 gallon mixed reef with 2 clowns and two small blennies. I found a lined butterfly fish from live aquaria. They say it only requires 50 gallons and grows up to 6 inches. Anyone familiar with this fish that can confirm or deny?

I think that is a miss type. The minimum size for that fish is a 125g. They are the largest fish in the genus.

I dont think there are any butterflies compatible with a 50g some smaller species would work in a 75g.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost all but one fish to a pump malfunction a few months back. I put her in quarantine and let my tank go fallow in order to start over the right way. I’m trying to decide what direction to go. Tank is 125 gallon with a 29 gallon sump/refugium.

The remaining fish is a shy yellowtail damsel. The other inhabitants are a large and a small thin stripe hermit, various snails, some palys, some riccordia, and a pink hairy mushroom. Most of my corals are fake.

I will be picking up a Foxface this weekend.

I have a chance to get a 24” snowflake eel when I pick up a 20 gallon long to make quarantining larger fish more comfortable. Which leads us to option 1. A predator tank with larger community fish. I will put the hermits in my refugium so they don’t get eaten.
Dwarf Zebra Lion
Valentini Puffer
Blue Spot Puffer
Columbian Shark
Kole Tang
Other tangs
More damsels
Maybe put the few real corals in my refugium and add a starfish

Or Community
2-4 more yellowtail damsels
Royal Gramma
O. Clown pair
Banggai Cardinal pair
Tuxedo Urchin
Shrimp
Kole Tang
Other tangs
Columbian Shark
Goby of some sort
Blenny of some sort
Serpent Star
If you go the predatory route, the puffers are likely to nip at the lion's fins.

Everything else should be fine.

I have a Canary Blenny that is about 3" long. I have heard they can become aggressive with other fish that resemble them. Does this include different colors as well? Could I add a Flame Tail/Gold Tail Blenny to the tank? My tank is a Waterbox 135.4 which is 48x24x20.

Blenny1.jpg
Canary blennies will ignore the flame tail blenny. Their aggression is mostly focused toward other fang blennies.

That butterfly will be too big for your tank.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a neon dottyback in mine with a blackcap and royal gramma, been tank mates for 4 months with no problems.

I've had the trio you mention before in a 225g. I didn't have any issues. But the royal gramma would sometime flare up and 'hiss' at them lol. It was funny to watch.

Lissa1987

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I am going to be down to 3 fish in my 90 gallon FOWLR tank. I need some suggestions. I have 100+ lbs of live rock so a ton a little caves and hiding spots. I have a sump and protein skimmer. We used to have a Dog faced puffer, blonde nano tang and picasso trigger but have found good homes for them that are better sized. The fish I have left are a male bluethroat trigger, a flame angel and a harlequin tusk. I am looking to go with more colorful fish and a larger quantity. I also want ones that are not going to eat me clean up crew faster than I can replace them. (The tusk will get some but if he is well fed he generally leaves them alone) Personality is definitely a plus!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 94 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back