Need help deciding on whether or not a fish is right for your tank? Post here and we'll help!

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the tank size (and dimensions) required to be the permanent home of the following smaller “large” angels:

Spotbreast
Watanabei
Bellus
Semifasciatus
Lamarck’s
(Genicanthus)

Cream / Red Sea Cream
Goldflake
Tiger
(Apolemichthys)

Regal
(Pygoplites)

Smaller Chaetodontoplus (?) like Blue Line, maybe Scribbled, Singapore, Black Velvet etc.

Are they as active swimmers as most Tangs?

And what is the tank size needed to house a Purple or Gem Tang or Yellow Tang permanently (I know this has been asked many times) and to coexist peacefully with a Tomini Tang. What sizes in captivity can be expected for these Tangs?

Do angels like the Regal and Goldflakes reach the full 10-12” or close to that in our systems?

Avocaadotoast

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would a marine betta work in a 60g cube? Second question, I’ve read they’ll eat smaller fish, is a pink streaked wrasse/possum wrasse too small to keep with a marine betta?

JoaoMP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so....

I have a beautiful truncatus, very shy and gentle, and I am in love with this fish. Thus, I would like to add a second one but would like to hear reports of people that have 2 bristletooh tangs in the same tank.

400L (105G)
plenty of hiding
no other tangs atm

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi guys i am new to this hobby i am setting up a FOWLR salt water tank initially though i intended to make it a reef eventually. I wanted to know if i can keep this fish in the same tank or not ,thanks in advance.
Tank specifications
L*B*H = 81*24*30(inches) roughly 960 liters with a sump of 255 liters , so a total water volume of 321 gallons. The sump will have refugium with magicmud and a algae scraper also.
Lighting will be cfl bulbs with atnic tubes
I will have a modified two part dosing system.
After the tank is properly cycled for 6 months i look to add the living stocks in the following order
1. Bubble tip anemone
2. After the bta is settled a pair of clown fish (1 male + 1 female)
3. Copper band butterfly
4. After the CBB is well adapted and eating 1 pair of Moorish idol
5. After few months a yellow tang
6. At the same time a powder blue tang
7. After few months a Achilles tang
8. And last addition will be emperor angel.
before buying each fish i will make sure i am buying a healthy specimen , observing its eating or not at the lfs.
Some of those tangs are difficult to care for and the tank is kinda small for some. Of course many people get fish and when they reach a size either sell them back to the LFS or to a fellow reefer.

Appoloreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've got a good list going. I can offer a few suggestions or cautions:

- I'd definitely go with the McCosker's Flasher Wrasse over the sixline. The Flasher wrasse will have more color and be a better community member...sixlines have a reputation for turning into bullies.
- I love flame angels, but it may come down to a choice between the flame angel and the clam (some flame angels nip at clams and LPS)...but it may work out that your flame angel is a model citizen
- 3x royal grammas (I don't know if this would work because of them all being conspecifics...not sure if they'd all get along. Maybe someone with experience on keeping multiple RG's could weigh in)
- azure damselfish will tend to end up bullying everything else. I'd avoid them completely.

HTH :)
I have always had damsels and they have always been model citizens in the tank and I have never had any issues with them.

TheMagicHank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I currently have a 75g reef tank.

40-50lbs live rock. 2-3" fine sand bed. Refugium. Water temp around 77°.

In the tank I have Astria snails (12), Turbo Snails (3), Fire Shrimp, Juvi Hippo, juvi red coris, Pearly Jaw fish, Juvi Plat clown, juvi mocha clown and 2.5" Yellow eye Kole tang. The goal over the next 12 months is to do a big upgrade to a 250g.

Any recommendations on additional wrasse, tangs, etc?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all! I currently have a 75g reef tank.

40-50lbs live rock. 2-3" fine sand bed. Refugium. Water temp around 77°.

In the tank I have Astria snails (12), Turbo Snails (3), Fire Shrimp, Juvi Hippo, juvi red coris, Pearly Jaw fish, Juvi Plat clown, juvi mocha clown and 2.5" Yellow eye Kole tang. The goal over the next 12 months is to do a big upgrade to a 250g.

Any recommendations on additional wrasse, tangs, etc?

I am adding a yellow coris wrasse and a pintail fairy wrasse to mine which currently has a tang, gramma and 2 clowns. Do you have a screen lid on your 75? Will the 250 have a lid cover for the wrasses?

TheMagicHank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am adding a yellow coris wrasse and a pintail fairy wrasse to mine which currently has a tang, gramma and 2 clowns. Do you have a screen lid on your 75? Will the 250 have a lid cover for the wrasses?
Yes and yes. Both fish are good ideas! I will do more research on that pin tail

Fin Jackson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 90g 3x2x2 with a current stock of:

1 one spot foxface (4")
1 baby blue hippo tang (1.5" and will upgrade tank size when need)
1 blue streak cleaner wrasse
1 blue sided fairy wrasse
Pair of clowns
Falco hawk fish

It's a total of 7 fish. What other fish would get along with these guys? I love flasher wrasse but don't want to disturb my 2 wrasse atm. It's BB aswell with lots of swim space. There are almost 2 pillars of rock on either end with a shelf in the middle. If I get a small mimic tang that's bigger then the blue would they be alright together?

If not any other suggestions are welcome!

Ro Bow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I have a 90g 3x2x2 with a current stock of:

1 one spot foxface (4")
1 baby blue hippo tang (1.5" and will upgrade tank size when need)
1 blue streak cleaner wrasse
1 blue sided fairy wrasse
Pair of clowns
Falco hawk fish

It's a total of 7 fish. What other fish would get along with these guys? I love flasher wrasse but don't want to disturb my 2 wrasse atm. It's BB aswell with lots of swim space. There are almost 2 pillars of rock on either end with a shelf in the middle. If I get a small mimic tang that's bigger then the blue would they be alright together?

If not any other suggestions are welcome!
tomini or scopas tang? Flashlight fish?

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any good dos and donts for mixing flasher wrasses? I have an 8 line coming to me soon and not sure if I can get another different flasher. Thanks.

Kfactor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all I just got my 90 going and I want to add a tang to it ? Right not I just have a clown/ green coral goby/ chromis/ there from my old setup I had and I just added a small foxface about a week ago and everyone is swimming together happy . I would like to add a tang maybe a scopes or kole to the tang what would you recommend for a tang ? I’m just abit worries about the tang being aggressive and want to keep a peaceful tank. The only other fish I might add down the road is something for the sand or a wrasse but that wouldn’t be for awhile or ever .

Peter Houde

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquarium: 125 gallon (6'x2'x1.5'), FOWLR (but always wanting leave option for corals or derasa), established 25 years.
Current fish:
2 clownfish (Amphiprion ocellaris or percula)
1 yellowtail damselfish (Chrysiptera parasema)
1 green mandarin (Synchiropus picturatus)
1 bicolor dottyback (Pictichromis paccagnella)
1 regal tang (Paracanthurus hepatus)
1 powder-brown tang (Acanthurus japonicus)
1 one-spot foxface (Siganus unimaculatus)

Desired:
2 more yellowtail damselfish - to reduce aggression from dottyback on existing single damsel, and because I had a breeding pair for many years when I had 3-4 in the aquarium. These I've already decided to add.

1 more colorful active swimmer, non-aggressive, reef safe, preferably herbivorous that will not compete too much with mandarin for copepods and amphipods (the dottyback already competes), preferably ~4" but no larger than 6".

I'm currently leaning towards a flame angel (for the color, of course) or a coral beauty (for the smaller size and because they are available captive bred).

CarleyFreeman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Freshly cycled 65g. Only inhabitants so far - 2 Regal Damsels and 3 blue leg hermits. Is it too early for a tuxedo urchin? I’m ok with supplementing food as there is very little algae growth so far.

Attachments

• C645FCFB-F8CD-4E63-A7AE-07412F021F89.jpeg
    C645FCFB-F8CD-4E63-A7AE-07412F021F89.jpeg
    295.8 KB · Views: 31

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.9%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 16.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 35 17.9%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 96 49.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.5%
Back