Need help drilling acrylic

Steelerfan747

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 7, 2011
Messages
1,901
Reaction score
29
Location
Miami
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. I just picked up a custom sump over the weekend and need to drill the lids. They are made using 2 layers of quarter inch acrylic glued together. My question is can I use clamps can I drill them and should I use a 2 by 4 as a base?
 
Hi guys. I just picked up a custom sump over the weekend and need to drill the lids. They are made using 2 layers of quarter inch acrylic glued together. My question is can I use clamps can I drill them and should I use a 2 by 4 as a base?
You will need a tightly clamped backing to prevent chipping when the bit comes through. Ideally another piece of acrylic so that it fits perfectly tight against the material with no gaps. If you have gaps it will defeat the purpose and you will get chipping.
 
If at all possible how about videoing the drill for future resource for others. :D
 
You will need a tightly clamped backing to prevent chipping when the bit comes through. Ideally another piece of acrylic so that it fits perfectly tight against the material with no gaps. If you have gaps it will defeat the purpose and you will get chipping.

thanks for the info I do have some extra acrylic laying around somewhere I will try that

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
 
I would be interested in seeing how this is done.
 
If you can..... the best way to drill is to drill halfway through from one side. Then start from the other side and go the other half. This will prevent chipping around the edges, which is the most important place to prevent it.
 
If you can..... the best way to drill is to drill halfway through from one side. Then start from the other side and go the other half. This will prevent chipping around the edges, which is the most important place to prevent it.

Thanks for the info. I will try that. I may just try a couple of times on spare acrylic as a test run

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk 2
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 12 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.6%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new