NEED HELP INTERPRETING ICP

tayylor.13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been having issues with my reef tank, no new corals are surviving and all past corals have since died. I had posted another post explaining all my reef issues over the past year and someone suggested I do this test to see if theres anything that stands out that could be killing my corals… also no turbo snails will survive in there but nassarius are all okay. Also, all of my fish are totally fine. Just turbo snails and corals will not survive.

Is there anything that looks to be at an alarming level that could be causing this?

Attached is also a photo of my reef in its prime.

DISPLAY
72C8CD40-67ED-4E2E-BA4C-BFF5A801660A.png
915A1A85-052E-42CD-AFAC-502A20EFEA37.png

RODI
3D117A4A-0F1D-4CB5-B8D5-64BF856D74C4.png

EB3BFC4B-1FA6-4A05-8C65-9D3F516721CF.jpeg

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I noticed is Copper. While .09ppm may not seem high, it's more than half of what is used to treat certain parasites.
The other item I noticed was how clean your tank looks. You said it's a year old, yet I don't see any coraline algae. I thought maybe you scraped the glass, but I don't see anything on the rocks either. They look pretty bright white.

OP
OP
T

tayylor.13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first thing I noticed is Copper. While .09ppm may not seem high, it's more than half of what is used to treat certain parasites.
The other item I noticed was how clean your tank looks. You said it's a year old, yet I don't see any coraline algae. I thought maybe you scraped the glass, but I don't see anything on the rocks either. They look pretty bright white.
Hi! yes copper is the first thing i noticed too, that pic was taken a few days after i switched from a 65g to a 125g! so thats why it looks so clean. i don’t have any recent pictures, and all those corals shown are now dead and not sure why.

what could elevated copper be coming from?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, agree that copper is a possible concern (if it is accurate). Where did the rock come from? Any metal parts in contact with the water?

I'd also raise sali1ty, but its not the cause of coral deaths.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! yes copper is the first thing i noticed too, that pic was taken a few days after i switched from a 65g to a 125g! so thats why it looks so clean. i don’t have any recent pictures, and all those corals shown are now dead and not sure why.

what could elevated copper be coming from?
Exposed parts.
Was the tank new or used?
Are you making your own water?

OP
OP
T

tayylor.13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exposed parts.
Was the tank new or used?
Are you making your own water?
we do have some brass connectors on a carbon reactor. could that be the issue? thats the only exposed metal i can think of ….
the tank was new and yes making our own water. i attatched the RODI results and copper is 0 on there

OP
OP
T

tayylor.13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, agree that copper is a possible concern (if it is accurate). Where did the rock come from? Any metal parts in contact with the water?

I'd also raise sali1ty, but its not the cause of coral deaths.
I only know of some brass connectors on a carbon reactor… other than that i don’t know of any metal in contact with the water. the rock is marco rock, we made the aquascape ourselves.

my hanna salinity checker reads the salinity at 1.024

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we do have some brass connectors on a carbon reactor. could that be the issue? thats the only exposed metal i can think of ….
the tank was new and yes making our own water. i attatched the RODI results and copper is 0 on there

The brass is touching the water? if so, definitely remove it ASAP. Brass is never OK.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my hanna salinity checker reads the salinity at 1.024

That looks about right from the ICP, and is low. It makes all of the important ions (calcium, magnesium, potassium, etc. low).

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay thanks for your help. How can i now get the copper out of the water once those pieces are removed or replaced with plastic?

OP
OP
T

tayylor.13

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great! just ordered. is there anything else on my results that could be fatal to my snails and corals?

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 65 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back