need help making a decision

hectorleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone i'm in the process of gathering the equipment for my 180 gal (72"24"24") mix reef build, my dilemma today is, which combination of LED"s fixture will be best for the corals ?

option A: 3 radion xr30 G5 Pro

option B: 6 radion xr15 G5 Pro

option C: 8 AI Prime 16 HD

thanks in advance

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Welcome!!!! And Congrats on the new tank.
I'm finishing up my 180 build now and just went through this. First off what do you want to keep in the tank, that really determines a lot. Also, is price a consideration?

BTW... add your tank to the build thread so we can all see its' progress... Again WELCOME!!!!

Reefacist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi everyone i'm in the process of gathering the equipment for my 180 gal (72"24"24") mix reef build, my dilemma today is, which combination of LED"s fixture will be best for the corals ?

option A: 3 radion xr30 G5 Pro

option B: 6 radion xr15 G5 Pro

option C: 8 AI Prime 16 HD

thanks in advance
I would say 5 xr15. I think 6 might be a waste, especially for a mixed tank. Or 3 xr15 with a t5 hybrid for a mixed tank might be an option too. Also this is just my opinion based off of research. I’m in the process of my first ever fish tank so it’s just off of 1,000s of videos and forum posts.

OP
OP
hectorleon

hectorleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Welcome!!!! And Congrats on the new tank.
I'm finishing up my 180 build now and just went through this. First off what do you want to keep in the tank, that really determines a lot. Also, is price a consideration?

BTW... add your tank to the build thread so we can all see its' progress... Again WELCOME!!!!
for sure i will start a build tread as soon as i start the build
i'm planning on starting with mostly LPS and as the tank progress i will incorporate some SPS
i have a budget that will accommodate any of the three options
thanks

Last edited:

susan ingram

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are the choices... I wouldn't go with the Primes... after researching the options I just wasn't willing to buy 6 when other lighting systems would work just as well if not better. If you like the AIs have you looked into the larger units like the Hydras?

OP
OP
hectorleon

hectorleon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are the choices... I wouldn't go with the Primes... after researching the options I just wasn't willing to buy 6 when other lighting systems would work just as well if not better. If you like the AIs have you looked into the larger units like the Hydras?
i was looking at the hydras, and my question will be in terms of spread comparison, that's why i come up with the 8 prime idea, but i have no experience with any of them,
to be honest i'm somewhat inclined to the 6 XR15 for the same reason, i just thought maybe 8 prime could be somehow equivalent of 6 xr15 but a bit more cost effective my intention is not to have to upgrade for couple of years even if the tank progress to a more demanding lighting needs.

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR you could go completely different, look at what BRS is know calling the Platinum standard for lighting:

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OR you could go completely different, look at what BRS is know calling the Platinum standard for lighting:

anyone else feel like the recent reef brite videos they made are just an effort to move what may have been a historically sluggish seller?

Arricefe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone else feel like the recent reef brite videos they made are just an effort to move what may have been a historically sluggish seller?
@Bpb I'm not sure why you would reply with my post, I was just providing another option, maybe you should ask @randyBRS if there's any truth to what you feel they are doing? Just a thought...

Bpb

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Bpb I'm not sure why you would reply with my post, I was just providing another option, maybe you should ask @randyBRS if there's any truth to what you feel they are doing? Just a thought...

dont take it personally. Your post just reminded me what I was already thinking.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Option B
The only light i have not heard much on field issues out there

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back