OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes fully cycled, I always used to use the water RODI water from the store until I bought the aqua buddy. Maybe the water quality at my house is very bad and it is not filtering everything out? But weird because I use it on my Evo 13.5 and never had any type of issue so I was ruling that out.. I am going to switch to Red Sea Pro salt once I use up this InstaOceans Reef Crystals. There was Cheato added from my Ego on Wednesday, one day after he got into the tank but 48 hours with that and still fine. I am at a loss if it is a water issue because it was checked 3 times yesterday and was fine. I changed 5 gallons last night and 15 gallons this AM. I cleaned out skimmer, Chemical pure blue and Purigen were replaced 3 weeks and 1 week ago respectively. UV sterilizer has been on last few days its a smaller Green Killing Machine 9 Watt. BioBlock looks good and has bacteria. I cleaned filter sock this am as well, Phos was still a tad high .2-3 range, so I dosed some Phosguard, same as last 2 days and it is slowly declining. It appears I have one of those mystery issues if these clowns start to act up. All hermits and snails fine, RFA is fine, 2 mushrooms in there are fine and mini max carpet anemone is fine.

I have noticed the clowns are not very interested in the food today but I have had lots of fish over the years not eat until the tank kind of settles again after cleaning
@Sharkbait19

Water:
Nitrate - 5.2 PPM
Phos - 2.1 PPM
Calcium - 440 PPM
KH - 171 PPM
Salinity - .25
Temp - 78.1

I have some Dr. Tim's one and only

Last edited:

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a crap shoot, but maybe just stress from catching/shipping. Either didn’t handle shipping well, or they used cyanide to capture, which can result in fish death. Again, not sure how likely that is.
The pinched stomach reminds me of the various internal parasites, but eating + normal poop generally rules that out.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit of a crap shoot, but maybe just stress from catching/shipping. Either didn’t handle shipping well, or they used cyanide to capture, which can result in fish death. Again, not sure how likely that is.
The pinched stomach reminds me of the various internal parasites, but eating + normal poop generally rules that out.
I am not going to stress anymore, or try to add anything, just keep an eye on the clowns and hope for the best.
Never have I ever seen a fish break down and die in 12 hours. I guess I have been lucky in the past and getting parasite free fish. Internal parasites wouldn't be passed along to the others right? I highly doubt it, especially only a few hours together and never got close to each other
the clowns still have not gone to that side of the tank hmm

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When an infected fish dies, the parasites move on to the next host, at least isn’t he case of internal parasites.
Like so:
E65C62E4-04BB-44F2-9C53-A33142D8D96C.jpeg

The worms leave the body and try to infect something else, usually laying eggs in the process.
I don’t think that was it though, as the fish was not displaying the typical symptoms, though 100% something to keep your eye out for.

New fish dying quickly is very common, usually due to failing to adapt to the new tank. As for disease, it too can kill extremely fast depending on virulence.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When an infected fish dies, the parasites move on to the next host, at least isn’t he case of internal parasites.
Like so:
E65C62E4-04BB-44F2-9C53-A33142D8D96C.jpeg

The worms leave the body and try to infect something else, usually laying eggs in the process.
I don’t think that was it though, as the fish was not displaying the typical symptoms, though 100% something to keep your eye out for.

New fish dying quickly is very common, usually due to failing to adapt to the new tank. As for disease, it too can kill extremely fast depending on virulence.
I see, I really appreciate your help, I am starting to lose some margarita snails from them as well, maybe this was just a bad shipment process in general, both small fighting conch, basically all 20 blue legs never moved, blenny, only things that survived basically a mushroom and the mini max carpet anemone. Package was overnight and arrived at noon, with heater in the cooler, from cali to mid west to South Florida
The crab ors tail water did have a nasty smell too it, I wonder if one died in the bag and the others got sick..

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see, I really appreciate your help, I am starting to lose some margarita snails from them as well, maybe this was just a bad shipment process in general, both small fighting conch, basically all 20 blue legs never moved, blenny, only things that survived basically a mushroom and the mini max carpet anemone. Package was overnight and arrived at noon, with heater in the cooler, from cali to mid west to South Florida
The crab ors tail water did have a nasty smell too it, I wonder if one died in the bag and the others got sick..
I’ve had the same problem with snails. Brought them home from the lfs and almost all died. If other things than the blenny from the same order are dying, I think shipping or acclimation is most likely the culprit, seeings fish and inverts can’t catch the same diseases.

OP
OP
Clawfish

Clawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had the same problem with snails. Brought them home from the lfs and almost all died. If other things than the blenny from the same order are dying, I think shipping or acclimation is most likely the culprit, seeings fish and inverts can’t catch the same diseases.
I did drop acclimate after floating to stabilize temps. I now know that that is a big no no for shipped livestock

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 116 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back