Need Help Picking Fish

Marika

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new tank fish and rock only. Tank is 110 gallon corner. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

I want to get these for sure:
Springeri Damselfish can I have 2?
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse or mccoskers wrasse
Royal gramma
Cherub dwarf angel
1-5 Bangaii cardinal
2 ocellaris clown black or snowstorm
Pygmy orchid dottyback
Dartfish purple firefish

Plus clean up crew:

serpent starfish
fireshrimp or cleanership
Astrea or troccus snails
tuxedo or pincushion urchin
Necarius snail
Blue legged hermit crab

Then this is a list of other fish I love. I want to add some but I'm not sure about having multiple wrasse, damsels and angels. I know fighting can be an issue. I'm not sure if I want to go with chromis or anthias. I need help choosing the best fish from here to compliment the ones I chose in the first list.

1-5 blue chromis
Sunburst Antias 1-5 1
Blue spotted jawfish
Neon blue goby
Yellow watchman goby
Resplendent anthias
Lyretail anthias
Black cat basslet
Flame angel
Ear muff wrasse
Basslet blackcap or Basslet dottyback
1 hybrid cleaner gobi
1 melanuras wrasse
1 Blue streak Cleaner wrasse
Yellowtail blue damsel
Blue gudgeon dartfish
Mcneill basslet
Randalls basslet
Azure damselfish
Blue devil damselfish
Mandarin dragonet
Bluestripe pipe fish
Coral beauty angelfish
Allens damsel
Starcks damsel
Pavi damsel
Sunrise dottyback
Red head solon wrasse
Blue sapphire damsel
Orange back faris wrasse
Six line wrasse

Thanks in advance for the help.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I know basslets and dottybacks fight, I'm not sure how many would be safe in that sized tank. I would think maybe 2 but others will know better. Will there be sand, how deep? Imo some of these fish can be tricky in a new setup like dragonete and pipe fish and leapard wrasse. You may want to wait on those until tank matures a bit with plenty of copepods.

There's a lot to break down in there.. just don't add too many too fast as well

May find some aggression between the 3 angels.. best to introduce them at the same time if you decide to try. Imo I'd probably stick to 2 angels. What are the tanks dimensions, how long?

Imo I would do as a general idea"

2x ocellaris
1 royal gramma
2x dwarf angels
3x wrasse
5x anthias
3x cardinals
1x yellow watchman goby
1x bluespot jawfish
2x firefish
2x damsels

More experienced reefers feel free to correct my list or give more details. Just thought I'd share my general thoughts

Shibaken3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would add a goby and a blenny for the bottom part of the tank. royal grama and dotty back will most likely fight choose one. I don't like damsels (bc there devils), replace them with chromis or anthias. For wrasse earmuff wrasse will be cool.

Reef Alchemy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any problems with your initial fish list. Damsels can be aggressive. The Springeri Damsels have the best demeaner of the Chrysiptera damsels. You probably don't want to add other Chrysipteras (Yellow-tailed damsels) if you have Springeri. You'll have to choose initially between yellow-tail and Springeri. And yes, you can get two.

You don't have any larger fish on your list, such as tangs, rabbit fishes, angelfishes. The cleaner wrasse may not have tankmates to 'clean' in your case. This may stress him out. For example, Skunk cleaner shrimps only clean Tangs, Angelfish, and larger fish at their cleaning stations; no damsels, clowns, wrasses.

You can have Skunk/Scarlet shrimp together; two of each. I had four Peppermint, two skunk, and two fire shrimp together in my 88-gallon tank at the same time without any real problems.

If you buy mandarins (which you can have a male and female) make sure they are fat and not skinny, and hopefully you can see them "nip" (feeding action). You will also want to seed your tank with live copepods months before you purchase any mandarins. The good thing about mandarins is that I've never had another fish get aggressive towards one.

I love Lyretail anthias. They school, are active, not timid, and draw other timid/shy fish out in the open. I have five.

Six-line wrasses can be aggressive. Mine was fairly aggressive until oddly enough, I got a Melanurus wrasse. For some reason, the six-line is no longer aggressive. And the Melanurus wrasse is not aggressive towards the six-line.

The bigger the tank the more you can get away with fish pairings. The same fish that would fight to the death in a 30-gallon tank may not even fight in a 100-gallon tank.

For cleanup crew, I recommend as a must have:
Astrea snails
Cerith snails
Trochus Snails
Mexican Turbo Snails (large snails but eat large algae that other snails won't touch such as ulva, hair, turf.)
blue-legged hermits

Nassarius snails may be fine (I've never had any, but I will probably get some.

You've chosen some great fish. Good luck

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of orchid dottybacks, a pair of lyretail damselfish, and a chalk basslet in a 65 without a problem. If anything, the yellow dottyback that I put in there is a bit darty...but I still wouldn't call it aggressive.

I actually have captive-bred orchid dottybacks in most of my tanks. They're lovely fish.

Thomas Jedlicka

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new tank fish and rock only. Tank is 110 gallon corner. Any advice you can offer would be appreciated.

I want to get these for sure:
Springeri Damselfish can I have 2?
Blue Star Leopard Wrasse or mccoskers wrasse
Royal gramma
Cherub dwarf angel
1-5 Bangaii cardinal
2 ocellaris clown black or snowstorm
Pygmy orchid dottyback
Dartfish purple firefish

Plus clean up crew:

serpent starfish
fireshrimp or cleanership
Astrea or troccus snails
tuxedo or pincushion urchin
Necarius snail
Blue legged hermit crab

Then this is a list of other fish I love. I want to add some but I'm not sure about having multiple wrasse, damsels and angels. I know fighting can be an issue. I'm not sure if I want to go with chromis or anthias. I need help choosing the best fish from here to compliment the ones I chose in the first list.

1-5 blue chromis
Sunburst Antias 1-5 1
Blue spotted jawfish
Neon blue goby
Yellow watchman goby
Resplendent anthias
Lyretail anthias
Black cat basslet
Flame angel
Ear muff wrasse
Basslet blackcap or Basslet dottyback
1 hybrid cleaner gobi
1 melanuras wrasse
1 Blue streak Cleaner wrasse
Yellowtail blue damsel
Blue gudgeon dartfish
Mcneill basslet
Randalls basslet
Azure damselfish
Blue devil damselfish
Mandarin dragonet
Bluestripe pipe fish
Coral beauty angelfish
Allens damsel
Starcks damsel
Pavi damsel
Sunrise dottyback
Red head solon wrasse
Blue sapphire damsel
Orange back faris wrasse
Six line wrasse

Thanks in advance for the help.
I love a lot of advice these others commenters have given. But there's one thing I absolutely love, and that is cleaner wrasses. I think they are a great addition to every tank. My 1.5+ fish will let the little guy go in and out, and all around them to clean it's such a cool thing to witness. They work just as well with normal-sized fish as well.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 105 86.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back