Need help picking out a Desjardini Tang

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to buy a Desjardini tang, I have a option of one from Sri Lanka or or Indonesia. The one from Indonesia is the same size but more expensive by $20. Can someone tell me what the difference is and is one better than the other? Should I buy one from a specific location or does it not matter? I was thinking that maybe they are the same but the one from Indonesia is just harder to get. Or the one from Indonesia is better looking or has better color. I'm looking for answers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am looking to buy a Desjardini tang, I have a option of one from Sri Lanka or or Indonesia. The one from Indonesia is the same size but more expensive by $20. Can someone tell me what the difference is and is one better than the other? Should I buy one from a specific location or does it not matter? I was thinking that maybe they are the same but the one from Indonesia is just harder to get. Or the one from Indonesia is better looking or has better color. I'm looking for answers.
So, first off how big is the tank?
These tangs aren’t small, they reach dinner plate size easily. In answer to your question, yes a Sailfin tang from sri lanka is different to an Indonesian. They’re two completely different fish actually. Here’s photos of the two as adults:

Zebrasoma velifer (Indo Sailfin):
276FAFB8-56BD-4D04-B89A-9611CC81B5F0.jpeg

Zebrasoma desjardini (Sri Lanka sailfin):
14EB4CEF-3362-48EE-8470-841C2F41D9A1.jpeg

There are some clear differences in pattern, Both sailfin a will lighten up or darken depending on their mood. But the pattern stays similar. I prefer Zebrasoma velifer personally but the transition phase isn’t much different compared to desjardini. Here’s the two tangs address juveniles:

Z. desjardini:

8A7A65D8-34A5-46B5-A61A-088C3277A500.jpeg
0E97933A-69D2-465B-8468-81E97148E4DB.jpeg

Z. velifer:

B0215859-3D89-4873-82AF-3887B356E615.jpeg
6AD4EEA3-905E-451D-970A-6F59E5CE6A6E.jpeg

The Velifer sailfin is often more pricy due to it not being kept as commonly in captivity as desjardini. Over here, Velifer is cheaper due to it being easier to collect but desjardini is often what everyone goes for due to its beautiful adult colouration (I find velifer to be more colourful with the white stripes).

Mflores888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine went from 2 inches to almost 4 inches in 6 months. Another 6 months and I'll be moving him to a new home as my 140 will be too small for him.

Attachments

• 20211211_114600.jpg
    20211211_114600.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 164

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re pretty fish but just get too big for most tanks.
I agree with this, personally I find they need Atleast 8’ but even people with them in 8’ tanks find them to be too big for their tank.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think Z. desjardinii makes it quite as far Northeast as Indonesia. A Sri Lanka specimen could probably be either desjardin or V. velifer. Same care, just slightly different coloration.

It used to be the Indian/Red Sea sailfins (desjardin) were more expensive. Don't know if that's still the case.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have plenty of solutions for tanks. I was getting him for my 120 fat boy for the present time. Ultimately all of my tangs will end up in my 300 when they get big enough. So I have 22.5, 75, 120, and 300 for tanks. There are different tangs in all of the above. I aim to add all tangs at one time to my 300 when I got every tang that I want to have. One of the last tangs I want is the desjardini. Looking at all the different posting this would be the color that I most prefer. What local would this one come from? I do understand that this is a adult coloration, however, this is what I would want when it reaches maturity.

Attachments

• 14EB4CEF-3362-48EE-8470-841C2F41D9A1.jpeg
    14EB4CEF-3362-48EE-8470-841C2F41D9A1.jpeg
    192.7 KB · Views: 181

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the last tangs I want is the desjardini. Looking at all the different posting this would be the color that I most prefer. What local would this one come from? I do understand that this is a adult coloration, however, this is what I would want when it reaches maturity.
Yes, that's Z. desjardinii. Although the spots look a little bluer than what's probably real. Red Sea will have the best specimens, So Saudi or Sudan etc.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sailfin is very common and cheap. You will see them at petco for $39.99. And at the LFS for cheap? I do not want that type.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's Z. desjardinii. Although the spots look a little bluer than what's probably real. Red Sea will have the best specimens, So Saudi or Sudan etc.
Ya, that one almost looks like a hybrid or like it was a lense filter that made it look like that.
So would I not be happy with one from Sri Lanka or Indonesia?

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of sailfin is very common and cheap. You will see them at petco for $39.99. And at the LFS for cheap? I do not want that type.
Probably Z. velifer, the Philippine sailfin. Although those are still awesome fish.

The yellow tail on the Philippine is the most obvious give away.
Ya, that one almost looks like a hybrid or like it was a lense filter that made it look like that.
I would guess just photoshop.
So would I not be happy with one from Sri Lanka or Indonesia?

To me, it sounds like you should see the fish you want in a store before you buy it. Both species are awesome. I don't believe the Desjardin goes as far East as Indonesia. I see LA lists theirs from Indonesia...weird.

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably Z. velifer, the Philippine sailfin. Although those are still awesome fish.

The yellow tail on the Philippine is the most obvious give away.

I would guess just photoshop.

To me, it sounds like you should see the fish you want in a store before you buy it. Both species are awesome. I don't believe the Desjardin goes as far East as Indonesia. I see LA lists theirs from Indonesia...weird.
Exactly, that is where I was going to order it from. So I can't really see the fish. Generally, I agree that both fish are beautiful. Personally, I want the desjardini forsure. I just want to make sure that I get the best option available. So if there was no real discernable difference between locations then I would just go with the cheaper of the two. If they is a difference from one location over another I would like to know what that Is and then decide from there. So I don't really need to see the fish That I get. I just would like to know the Main differences before I settle on one, if that makes any sense.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya.

If you order from LA, you should get the right species...or your money back, hopefully. Maybe, by Indonesia, they mean those islands to the West (like Java, Sumatra). It looks like those are maybe still Indonesia. Geography really isn't my thing.

If you're in the Twin Cities, maybe it's easier to get one at a local store?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I wouldn’t get one online and I would wait for one in the store. That way you can see it’s health and it won’t be as stressed when you get it

OP
OP
B

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear ya.

If you order from LA, you should get the right species...or your money back, hopefully. Maybe, by Indonesia, they mean those islands to the West (like Java, Sumatra). It looks like those are maybe still Indonesia. Geography really isn't my thing.

If you're in the Twin Cities, maybe it's easier to get one at a local store?
Local prices are insane here. Some things will be priced more along the average range but other things not so much. There is a place that I like called reef collective. They are a relatively new place dedicated to all things marine. I have had bad luck with a few few from there. I know whenever you buy a wild caught fish it can be touchy. I've just lost 3 fish from there in the past year during a 30 day QT. I lost a flame angle, blue eye kole tang, and a melenarus wrasse. I don't know if it's just bad luck or what. They also don't really have a warranty. They will cover it if it dies on the way home, but nothing really past that. With live aquaria they have a better live warranty. Another reason is places seem to only get the more common of the sailfin tangs and not the desjardini. I think if they had one in the right size I would likely get it.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back