Need Help Picking RO/DI unit And Reactor......

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I need help picking out a RO/DI unit and a Reactor. My wife is buying me one for Xmas and I get to pick it out. I need one that has a faucet adapter so I can use it until I get a chance to install into my plumbing. I dont know a thing about RO/DI units or Reactors period. Also dont exactly know what the PSI has to do with a RO/DI units. Ive always bought my water from LFS. Any info about these units would be helpful.

matty0206

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much water are you looking at making say on a weekly basis and when you say reactor, what kind?

A good place to start is Bulk Reef Supply. I would say at least a 4 stage with DI. I ended up buying an in line TDS meter and pressure gauge shortly after getting my bare bones system so I would recommend a system with both of those.

408reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bulk reef supply is the way to go. They are having a sale at the moment of 12% their entire site plus they have a screaming deal on a 4 stage!

OP
OP
GoTakeANap

GoTakeANap

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
was thinking about getting a 5 or 6 stage with everything bulid in. reactor to use for phosphates. also see they have reactor for carbon. what does carbon remove from your tank?

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank do you have? I'm new to the hobby also but I just purchased a couple of reactors PhosBan150s ill use one for GFO granular ferric oxide for reducing phosphates and one will run carbon. These units are rated for up to 150 gallons. They cost only about $30.00 a piece so if your system is under 150 this might be a good route for you!!!

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as a RO/DI filter if you want really clean water, a Four stage will do fine RO, Cotton, Carbon, DI filters. These will bring your water down to 0.000 TDS (TOTAL DISSOLVED SOLIDS) you pretty much can't get much better its basically pharmaceutical grade water. A five stage wether is has 2 DI (de-ionizing) stages or a expensive uv sterilizer in some opinions in the hobby is redundant. The extra de-ionizing phase will help extend the life of the DI filters because you rotate the old with the new, but unless you have a very large setup, it may not be much savings in the long run. A far as having a uv sterilizer , many consider it to kill off beneficial microbial, which if so will make the tank less productive in health and growth development for corals and algae . Unfortunately I don't know enough information about UV sterilizers to tell you the benefits. Generally if you don't want to spend a bunch of money wether it be on the unit alone or the filter changes involved with a 5 or 6 stage unit, The four stage unit is plenty suitable for most reefs!!! I Hope this helps thank you for reading!!!

Steviereefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 68 52.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 51.5%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 33 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back