Need Help Planning a Saltwater Mixing Station

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, after 5 years I am officially tired of lugging buckets around. So I am hoping to be able to setup a mixing station. I know it won't be the perfect solution because I don't really have a good fish room but I am hopeful it can be an improvement. My tank is in my office and there is a bathroom right off of the office and this is my fish room. There is also a shower in this bathroom that is never used and this is where I plan to put my mixing station. The shower footprint is 30" x 28". My plan is to move my RODI unit into the shower and hook it up to the plumbing in the shower. Then I think I will need two containers to place in the shower to hold my RODI water and then to mix saltwater.

Now, I need to select containers. My tank is roughly 100G (90 net.) I typically will change 5-6 gallons per week. So I need to decide if I want two 10 gallon containers or two 20 gallon containers. (Or I guess I could have a 20G RODI container and a 10G Saltwater container. Because I will need to make Top Off water in here as well.)

Here are the two containers I am considering... (please let me know if you are aware of anything else that would work well.)

10 gallon
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/3675/10-gallon-vertical-plastic-storage-tank-vt0010-12

20 gallon
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/2460/20-gallon-upright-rectangle-flat-bottom-tank-sp0020-om

I also know that since my container will be about 15 feet from my tank, I will need a spigot from which to run a hose to my tank for water refills. And then I am also not sure if there is a way for me to get rid of buckets when removing water from the tank.

So thanks for your comments and suggestions on the following...!

• Best container size(s) for a 100G tank with 5-10% water changes
  • Suggestions on options for removing water without buckets during water changes.
  • Any other suggestions or links to information that might be useful in planning this project.

Here are some pictures of my tank location and fish room..

office / tank / bathroom door
IMG_2159-XL.jpg

Bathroom
IMG_2160-XL.jpg

Shower Space for New Mixing Station
IMG_2156-XL.jpg

IMG_2157-XL.jpg

Broadfield

Red Sea Reefer Consultant... Non Affiliated
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So do you not have a basement?

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting round containers in a square space that small is a waste, so definitely stick with tanks that have right angles! :)

Also, I'd at least consider glass tanks.

Aqueon has 20-XHigh and 30-Xhigh tanks with 20x10 and 24x12 footprints, respectively. Cost should be better no matter what, but especially if the LFS orders for you and can save you shipping/freight.

Maybe you'll have better luck, but I didn't find those around on the web much, but your LFS should be able to get them from their supplier:
    • 20X - UPC Code: 015905172028
    • 30X - UPC Code: 015905172035

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So do you not have a basement?

No, I have a crawl space.

Putting round containers in a square space that small is a waste, so definitely stick with tanks that have right angles! :)

Also, I'd at least consider glass tanks.

Aqueon has 20-XHigh and 30-Xhigh tanks with 20x10 and 24x12 footprints, respectively. Cost should be better no matter what, but especially if the LFS orders for you and can save you shipping/freight.

Maybe you'll have better luck, but I didn't find those around on the web much, but your LFS should be able to get them from their supplier:
    • 20X - UPC Code: 015905172028
    • 30X - UPC Code: 015905172035

I'll consider that, thanks.

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I have a crawl space.

You may have considered that already, but it could be handy extra space. If there are accessibility issues, you're going to be very dependent on automation and plumbing to access that water. Automated salt mixing is not simple or straightforward. So I also like the shower space....maybe there's a way to leverage both....RODI storage can usually be served with a pump and requires the least maintenance....cleanings once in a great while. No routines where you'd need to get access regularly. The RODI unit can probably even stay where it is.

It's a thought. :)

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok, I am making some progress on planning but I now need some help on finalizing plans for my stand. I am attaching a rough sketch of the stand I am planning. The footprint is 21" x 24" x 76" tall. At the top I will install my RODI system and then on each shelf I will install a 16 Gallon water container that when full should weigh about 145 pounds. And since this stand will be installed in a shower, I would like to keep only the four legs touching the floor. (no horizontal runs on floor.) Even though this shower is not used and will only be used to make water, I could see myself using the drain in the floor so the legs will likely be exposed to some small amounts of water. I have also attached a link to the water containers I will use in case that is helpful.

So what I need help on is how to construct the shelf supports and how to join the vertical and horizontal beams.

Thanks!

Rough Sketch of stand...

Salt%20Water%20Mixing%20Stand-XL.jpg

Container:
http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/...gton-sp0016-mm

OP
OP
Patrick Cox

Patrick Cox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Will it be attached to the wall in any way or is it free standing? I'd be nervous having it free standing.

Free standing in the shower stall. I guess if it is wobbly/top heavy I could add rails on the floor for balance. I could also screw boards across the stand that touch both sides of the shower walls so the stand is in effect wedged in. No way to tip. I have been doing some reading and now think I will use pocket joints to build it. Those seem to be strong.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would help for sure. And yes pocket screws are great for 'butt' joints. My stand is attached to the wall at the back, so I only needed two front legs, but they were pocket screwed to the platform frame. I also did plywood sides, but if just using 2x4s you can pocket screw those between the frames too. 1/2" plywood tops are plenty - especially for your smaller containers. I put 45g on the top shelf and 30 gallons on the bottom. In addition to the plywood sides I did add a small 1 x 1.5" strip top to bottom at the front - just because it felt right and I had the scraps.

RO_Stand.jpg

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am planning similar, but just with RODI unit and Rodi water storage. any update on this? I am still researching on the water storage container to use, my space is 16" L x 24" W and Height is unlimited

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 45 32.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back