Need Help Planning my Sump

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello R2R community!

After building my tank and aquascaping, I am trying to sift through different filtration options for my 180G Display Tank. I have a 29G sump gifted to me by one of my friends, but I am considering purchasing a 75G tank from a petstore for more options.

I ideally want this to be a tank that is low maintenance and I am willing to invest to make sure that the filtration reduces my need for water changes as much as possible. The equipment I am planning to add is as follows:

• Recirculating Reef Octopus Skimmer (Not sure if I should try to plumb this externally to allow more space for a refugium)
  • Refugium (Not sure how I will go about this or what size I need)
  • Clarisea SK5000 rollermat (so I dont need to change filter socks)
  • UV Sterilizer (On the fence if this is really needed)

I am plumbing 2 return pumps

My refugium is a bit of an unknown to me because I am not sure what size I should aim for or what I will ultimately set it up with.

With the equipment I am planning is a 75G sump adequate size? Also is my filtration approach in the right direction for my goals? I am pretty new to reefing and not sure if i am neglecting something.

Thanks for any and all direction!

ScubaDan206

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will you use a manifold for your reactors, or separate pumps? I think the refugium should be a s large as possible. Give it access to as much of your system volume as possible. Is it possible to use the 29 as an external refugium? Others have said too, but make your maintenance chores easiest to access so you don't mind doing them.

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't even considered reactors as part of my filtration yet. Being that I already have the two return pumps I would most likely plumb a manifold if I start reactors.

I am pretty new to this and havent even cycled the tank yet because I want to ensure I have a proper plan for filtration.

Are reactors something you think I should consider this early or at what point would I need them?

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To give better context, I plan on keeping livestock that is low maintenance and not adding a heavy bio-load. I dont plan on keeping any complex corals, at least for now.

So I am trying to plan my filtration around these parameters for now until I maybe I decide to stock something more complex later.

ScubaDan206

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would plan for ease of expansion for the long term, even if you don't need it yet. Adding things on later is easier and cheaper if you already have the plans and capacity built into the design.

OP
OP
MrDellimore

MrDellimore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotcha, should be fairly easy and low cost to just plumb a manifold for additional reactors. At what point would you start running carbon on a tank?

ScubaDan206

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started day one, but you don't need it all the time. Use it to clear water periodically or when you cut corals to absorb possible toxins.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 5.9%
Back