Need help setting up your GHL Doser?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

sylvius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a MacBook running windows with a usb c to usb a adapter and it connects just fine. Make sure the ghl usb driver is installed.
Dumb question, but it’s a standalone doser, right, and not a slave?

Henryb9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a MacBook running windows with a usb c to usb a adapter and it connects just fine. Make sure the ghl usb driver is installed.
Dumb question, but it’s a standalone doser, right, and not a slave?
Yes it’s a stand alone, I guess I need the adapter version of the usb c. I was using a connected one from the Mac to the USB port of the doser.

williamch73

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see to many user with issues trying to conect the Doser 2.1 SA to the Wifi network, anyoe Can control it with the phone outside home?

I have too much inestable conection to this device.......

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Any tips on getting a reliable WiFi connection with this doser?

Initially when I tried to set it up it could not discover my network, so I typed in the settings and it connected. Why would this work and why could it not see my network? After it connected it was quite intermittent.

I subsequently reset everything and ran the setup again. This time it did find my network and connected fine. I set up the dosing schedules via WiFi and disconnected. Now it won’t reconnect via WiFi using the PC software - it just comes up with a connection error. If I plug in the USB and connect that way then it works fine.

Repeatedly connecting and disconnecting the USB cable is starting to get infuriating. Is there anything I can try to get a reliable WiFi connection.

I have spectrum router with 2G and 5G networks, but each has its own SSID. The PC software has only recently been installed and the doser firmware is up to date.

BCSreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had been having the same issue with my P4 and Wi-Fi. My dosers are hard wired to the P4. Had a spectrum router/cable box and problems. Got a Google MESH and still had problems. I either would connect then get dropped or just not connect. The only work around was to go down 2 stories to the basement and reboot the P$. That would only temporarily fix it. Sometimes for only a few minutes.

I don't think it was the P4 Wi-Fi, because the web app always worked. Had to be the PC or the GHL software.

I just upgraded my Wi-Fi card ($50) in my PC and the connection problems disappeared. I can now stay connected for weeks.

Can you swap out your PC Wi-Fi card or try a different PC? Or, try the phone app to see if that works?

chicago

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want one. I have a slightly used one happy to sell or trade from end Sps Frags. ??? Chicago local. Thanks

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I had been having the same issue with my P4 and Wi-Fi. My dosers are hard wired to the P4. Had a spectrum router/cable box and problems. Got a Google MESH and still had problems. I either would connect then get dropped or just not connect. The only work around was to go down 2 stories to the basement and reboot the P$. That would only temporarily fix it. Sometimes for only a few minutes.

I don't think it was the P4 Wi-Fi, because the web app always worked. Had to be the PC or the GHL software.

I just upgraded my Wi-Fi card ($50) in my PC and the connection problems disappeared. I can now stay connected for weeks.

Can you swap out your PC Wi-Fi card or try a different PC? Or, try the phone app to see if that works?

Thanks.

I just downloaded the GHL app.

I tried to reconnect to the doser via PC, to double check the doser IP address, but it didn't work. I then connected by USB, which worked first time, and retrieved the IP address. While I was connected I tried to get the doser to find a WiFi network but it couldn't find any (despite me living in an apartment block with lots of available networks).

I disconnected from USB and tried to connect via the app and it worked straight away. I'm not an IT guru but I find it strange that it works instantly with the app but not at all with the PC.

This will remove the annoyance of me having to keep using the USB cable, but I still won't be able to use GHL Control Centre.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First step is to see if the doser shows up in your network. There should be a GHL device listed on your network.
If you have the doser under the aquarium that is a stuff spot for a WiFi signal.

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've no idea how to see if the doser shows up on my network.

I did change the Network from Public to Private, and my PC instantly connected to the doser. I thought that had solved the issue so I changed it back to Public and it still connected a couple of times and then stopped connecting. I changed it back to Private and it worked a couple of times and then stopped connecting again.

It seems that Private v Public makes no difference, but switching between the 2 allows it to work for a couple of minutes and then doesn't work any more.

My doser is about 5 feet from my PC and 20 feet from my router so I don't think the location is an issue. My phone still connects to my router from my car, which is 2 stories down and (obviously) outside.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Step 1:

Connect the PC back to the Doser USB port and can you show us the network configuration of the doser

Question 1:
When you connect your PC to your network is it done via wireless or wired and if wireless is joining the same network as the dower.

Question 2:

You said your can connect to the doser via the app I assume your connecting to the hotspot ip? Can you on your phone connect to your home network wireless and show me the IP address that was assigned to your phone. I want to see if the hotspot on the P4 is the same subnet as your home network if it is we need to make a few changes.

To find the ip address assigned to your phone you can see this by going on a iPhone settings WiFi and press the small blue i next to the wireless network you joined and it will show the IP.

As for not being able to connect when the PC is directly connected I believe is by design and have asked that exact question :)

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I appreciate the help but I'm a bit dubious about posting my network settings. I'm sure an IT expert could tell me that they are local and there's no risk in sharing them, but I don't really know what I am doing!

When I connected the doser via USB it did automatically find some networks. Sometimes it does, normally it doesn't depending on how it feels ;)

One thing I did notice is that the SSID it picks up is incomplete. I have 2 SSIDs, one is xxxxx-2G and the other is xxxxx-5G. My doser simply shows the network as xxxxx whereas my phone (and TV) shows the -2G and -5G suffix. As the network key is the same, I have no idea if it is trying to connect to the 2G or 5G network. However, my PC and Phone are both on the same 5G network. My phone connects fine but my PC only does some of the time. My PC is connected to the network via wifi.

The phone IP address, router IP address and doser IP address all have the same first three group figures; the last number in the group is different for each (x.x.x.1 for the router, x.x.x.12 for the phone and x.x.x.150 for the doser). The default gateway on my doser shows the router IP address and all connections show the same subnet mask.

I am not trying to connect both my phone and PC at the same time, just one or the other.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problems, you stated the router, PC and Doser all share the same X.X.X but the last digit is different is good, can you ping the doser from your PC.

If your running a windows PC can you open up the command prompt
When it comes up type in ping X.X.X.150 for your doser.

Would look like this as an example:
ping1.PNG

I do not have a device on my network at X.X.X.150 but if I did the results would come back like this if the device answered on 150 which yours should:
ping2.PNG

I want to make sure your laptop/PC can see the device on the network.

Also you stated the SSID is incomplete on the Doser, but it has an IP address of X.X.X.150

Is your doser client mode or access point mode configured right now: (Below is an example)
doser1.PNG

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choosen client mode:

type into the ssid your 2g wireless network name (can you type in the entire name?) (if you can not that going to be an issue)

Choose your encryption as WPA2PSK
Encryption would be AES

You can choose automatically obtain IP with an understanding that this means it could change after a power outage.

Then click save disconnect and reboot the unit it should connect and turn blue. If it flashes blue it connected to myghl cloud.

You then can connect back again via USB and get the IP address if you choose the obtain IP automatically which I believe you said it you did and should see it their. Then that IP is the one you enter into the GHL connect app.

If the connect App works then we can try the PC. If your using the legacy desktop software to connect to the doser now via a IP address and not the doser USB port and runnings windows 10 you need to put a firewall exception policy in (will provide the post), but you should also be able to get to it via HTTPS://ip address of the doser.

Example: https://192.168.1.150

Firewall exception for windows 10: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-connecting-to-p4-wifi.531904/post-5518628

Last edited:

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Ok, so I have played with it a bit more. It is connecting at the moment but it doesn't seem very stable and I'm interested to see how it works over the next few days. It's certainly not 'plug-and-play'.

The ping worked fine. I then logged into my router to try to get things more stable, and I was a bit surprised by the result. Firstly, I was incorrect earlier - the lack of 2G suffice means that the doser was connected to the router on the 2.4GHz network.

I then pinged the doser with the PC connected to the 2.4GHz network and then to the 5GHz network. Both pinged fine.

I then systematically disabled the networks on my router. Unsurprisingly, it didn't connect with the 2.4GHz network disabled as that is how the doser is connecting to the router.

With just the 2.4GHz network turned on, the phone connects to the doser but the PC doesn't.

With both networks on, the phone will connect to the doser when connected to either the 2.4GHz network or the 5 GHz network. The PC will ONLY connect if it is on the 5 GHz network, with the doser on the 2.4 GHz network.

This all might be coincidence, as even with the settings that 'work' sometimes they don't. Even when they are working, the interface is extremely slow.

The doser is in client mode.

Thanks again for your help. At least it is (sort of) working at the moment and hopefully it continues to connect every now and then.

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried connecting my doser to the wifi but after doing the setup wizard and making sure the ip and subnet are the same as the ipconfig it doesnt work, and when i ping the ip it says "destination host unreachable"

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you choosen client mode:

type into the ssid your 2g wireless network name (can you type in the entire name?) (if you can not that going to be an issue)

Choose your encryption as WPA2PSK
Encryption would be AES

You can choose automatically obtain IP with an understanding that this means it could change after a power outage.

Then click save disconnect and reboot the unit it should connect and turn blue. If it flashes blue it connected to myghl cloud.

You then can connect back again via USB and get the IP address if you choose the obtain IP automatically which I believe you said it you did and should see it their. Then that IP is the one you enter into the GHL connect app.

If the connect App works then we can try the PC. If your using the legacy desktop software to connect to the doser now via a IP address and not the doser USB port and runnings windows 10 you need to put a firewall exception policy in (will provide the post), but you should also be able to get to it via HTTPS://ip address of the doser.

Example: https://192.168.1.150

Firewall exception for windows 10: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/need-help-connecting-to-p4-wifi.531904/post-5518628
Will the search wifi button work aswell? I did thag and clicked my wifi but even after setting up the ip and trying to ping it all it keeps saying is host unreachable"

Marc2952

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know if you can just set the doser up with the hot spot and let it run that way? Having a terrible time getting it to show up on my network.
Same it keeps disconnecting i might aswell just leave it in hotspot mode and call it a day...

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just updated the firmware on my doser 2.0 and now I can’t connect via WiFi. No matter what I choose, nothing works and my network doesn’t show up. Manually entering the info didn’t change a thing. Now I have no way of knowing if my program/dosing schedule is valid? I really wish GHL would throw their software out the window and join the present with something that actually works and doesn’t stall or take forever to program or open an app. This is infuriating!

Gaël

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just updated the firmware on my doser 2.0 and now I can’t connect via WiFi. No matter what I choose, nothing works and my network doesn’t show up. Manually entering the info didn’t change a thing. Now I have no way of knowing if my program/dosing schedule is valid? I really wish GHL would throw their software out the window and join the present with something that actually works and doesn’t stall or take forever to program or open an app. This is infuriating!
Hi,

Do you still have USB access with GCC?
If yes triple check settings and power cycle your doser and wait a little.

Gaël

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back