Need help with a couple things.

  • Thread starter Thread starter cdemoss01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

cdemoss01

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 8, 2023
Messages
6,339
Reaction score
21,868
Location
Roanoke
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have a 5.5 year old 65g tank. I've always struggled with GHA all my time with it. I want to get rid of it so bad but it won't stuff I can never get my nitrates down. I recent completely changed my media out removing bioballs adding in matrix, purigen new carbon and some marineland floss. I also wanna start a fuge in there too. Probably some chaeto but I don't know what light to put on it. I'm also getting 10 turbos and 10 em crabs as well as a icecap skimmer. What other things should I be doing? I've been doing water changes. Anything else?
 
Hello,
I have a 5.5 year old 65g tank. I've always struggled with GHA all my time with it. I want to get rid of it so bad but it won't stuff I can never get my nitrates down. I recent completely changed my media out removing bioballs adding in matrix, purigen new carbon and some marineland floss. I also wanna start a fuge in there too. Probably some chaeto but I don't know what light to put on it. I'm also getting 10 turbos and 10 em crabs as well as a icecap skimmer. What other things should I be doing? I've been doing water changes. Anything else?
So I take it you have a job or canister filter. The following is my experience and opinion. I ran the exact set up. I finally figured out to stop running my salt water like a fresh water. Your rock is your filter. Not bio balls or anything thing else. Use your HOB as your filter sock only. Just use filter floss and change every 2-3 days. Use poli fill from Walmart or Amazon. Nothing else. For a refuge get a penguin 450 I think and remove everything from the system and just add your micro algae. Get a small fresh led that fits over the top of the penguin and leave the lid off. That's it. Try that for awhile.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.7%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 18 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.9%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.6%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new