Need help with a stocking list for my 85 gallon!!!

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I have recently started my first reef tank and am working on the stocking list. The tank is 85 gallons with the dimensions of 41" length x 24" width x 22" height. I plan on keeping a 1-2" sand bed for the various wrasses I want to keep and am currently building an NSA aquascape for my tank. My current plans for stocking list are down below:

for sure want to have:
  • One spot foxface (willing to trade into lfs if gets too big)
  • White tail bristle tooth tang
  • pair of ocellaris clownfish
  • earmuff wrasse
  • melanurus wrasse
  • mcCosker's flasher wrasse
  • mystery wrasse
  • mandarin dragonet (when I have a large enough pod population ofc)
  • midas blenny
  • longnose hawkfish
  • pistol shrimp and wheeler goby pair (if the melanurus wrasse or hawkfish don't go after the shrimp?)
want to have if space allows/considering:
  • biota yellow tang (will get small and trade in lfs when it gets too big)
  • lawnmower blenny
  • royal gramma
  • blue dot jawfish
  • trio of lyretail anthias (only if I decided to not go with other larger fish already on my list)
  • leopard wrasse (would swap out for another wrasse)
  • golden rhomboid wrasse(would swap out for another wrasse)
  • excuisite wrasse(would swap out for another wrasse
  • scooter blenny
This is the rough outline for all the fish I want to keep and I want to know your opinions and if you see any issues with overstocking/aggression.
I am also open to other fish suggestions too.
Thank You!!!

Last edited:

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSA No Strings Attached Aqua scape?

I was recently looking at Blue dot jawfish and they come from colder water than our reefs. I’m not sure if anyone has kept them long term but I don’t think I will ever get one unless I set up a colder tank, but probably not.

41” x 24” = 984 square”

your list
  • Two-White tail bristle tooth tang
  • Four-pair of ocellaris clownfish
  • 5-earmuff wrasse
  • 6-melanurus wrasse
  • 7-mcCosker's flasher wrasse
  • 8-mystery wrasse
  • 9- mandarin dragonet (when I have a large enough pod population ofc)
  • 10-midas blenny
  • 11-longnose hawkfish
  • pistol shrimp and wheeler goby pair (if the melanurus wrasse or hawkfish don't go after the shrimp

• I have not seen that many wrasses in a display tank except at the fish stores where they live on top of each other until they die or They are sold

• I’m thinking that your stocking plan is going to be too dense for you fish to have room to swim

• The pair of clowns, if they get comfortable will set up a territory that occupies 1/4 of the tank foot print and they will try and exclude other fishes

• You can probably keep them all alive if you add pods daily but all those mouths will want to chow down on the live food, and the Mandy is going to have a tough time finding pods before those swift swimmers do.
  • I like the look of a lot of fishes in the tank but I wouldn’t want to live like that. Disneyland is fun to visit but overcrowded conditions spawn diseases in tanks.
  • Sorry buddy, I’m not helping you out with a lot of encouragement unless you realize that I am trying to keep your dream from becoming a nightmare

• lets see if other folks have a kinder way of encouragement than me?

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NSA (negative space aquascape) it has more open swimming space for the fish and flow.

Yeah I was wondering if it was too many fish. I was thinking if maybe cutting out one or two of the wrasses such as the mcCosker's and the earmuff if I have to.

I would also only get the mandarin if there were plenty of pods to go around. I plan on adding a refugium later to keep the pod population up.

I also plan on quarantining every fish before it goes into the tank so I don't know if that will help with the disease part of overcrowding or not?

Thanks for the advice!
NSA No Strings Attached Aqua scape?

I was recently looking at Blue dot jawfish and they come from colder water than our reefs. I’m not sure if anyone has kept them long term but I don’t think I will ever get one unless I set up a colder tank, but probably not.

41” x 24” = 984 square”

your list
  • Two-White tail bristle tooth tang
  • Four-pair of ocellaris clownfish
  • 5-earmuff wrasse
  • 6-melanurus wrasse
  • 7-mcCosker's flasher wrasse
  • 8-mystery wrasse
  • 9- mandarin dragonet (when I have a large enough pod population ofc)
  • 10-midas blenny
  • 11-longnose hawkfish
  • pistol shrimp and wheeler goby pair (if the melanurus wrasse or hawkfish don't go after the shrimp

• I have not seen that many wrasses in a display tank except at the fish stores where they live on top of each other until they die or They are sold

• I’m thinking that your stocking plan is going to be too dense for you fish to have room to swim

• The pair of clowns, if they get comfortable will set up a territory that occupies 1/4 of the tank foot print and they will try and exclude other fishes

• You can probably keep them all alive if you add pods daily but all those mouths will want to chow down on the live food, and the Mandy is going to have a tough time finding pods before those swift swimmers do.
  • I like the look of a lot of fishes in the tank but I wouldn’t want to live like that. Disneyland is fun to visit but overcrowded conditions spawn diseases in tanks.
  • Sorry buddy, I’m not helping you out with a lot of encouragement unless you realize that I am trying to keep your dream from becoming a nightmare

• lets see if other folks have a kinder way of encouragement than me?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are welcome, and thank you for the acronym definition.
The hardest thing we have to do ime is to limit our desires to keep our tanks uncrowded as the fish and corals grow.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a lot of wrasses. The melanarus and the clown pair will be jerks.
I would choose the melanarus or the others.
would a yellow coris wrasse be a less aggressive substitute for the malanurus wrasse? Looking at getting a wrasse that can help with pest control.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would a yellow coris wrasse be a less aggressive substitute for the malanurus wrasse? Looking at getting a wrasse that can help with pest control.
Check out the halichoeres iridis wrasse. Another member on here @i can’t think (don’t know how to tag) pointed them out to me when I was deciding between a melanurus and yellow coris and the iridis is far more better looking in my opinion

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok after some more consideration I think I have narrowed it down to two different stocking list options

option 1:
  • one spot foxface
  • white tail bristletooth tang
  • iridis wrasse
  • another flasher wrasse (still deciding, most likely excuisite or golden rhomboid)
  • pair of ocellaris clowns
  • longnose hawkfish
option 2:
  • trio of lyretail anthias
  • yellow coris wrasse
  • longnose hawkfish
  • royal gramma

These would be fish to start out with and see what the aggression is and how things play out if all goes well and there is minimal aggression or other issues I will then consider adding more fish.
Any thoughts on these lists?

Edit: I also don't think excess waste or nutrients should be too much of a problem as I have a slightly oversized protein skimmer, will be adding a refugium, and will seed my tank with live rock.
Also thank you to everyone who has helped thus far!

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok after some more consideration I think I have narrowed it down to two different stocking list options

option 1:
  • one spot foxface
  • iridis wrasse
  • another flasher wrasse (still deciding, most likely excuisite or golden rhomboid)
  • longnose hawkfish
option 2:
  • trio of lyretail anthias
  • yellow coris wrasse
  • longnose hawkfish
  • royal gramma

These would be fish to start out with and see what the aggression is and how things play out if all goes well and there is minimal aggression or other issues I will then consider adding more fish.
Any thoughts on these lists?

Edit: I also don't think excess waste or nutrients should be too much of a problem as I have a slightly oversized protein skimmer, will be adding a refugium, and will seed my tank with live rock.
Also thank you to everyone who has helped thus far!
I think you could get away with more fish then that. My tank is 100G total volume and a 73G display and I will have 10-11 fish in there at the end. I would go with option 1 and add the royal gramma and your next favourite to it and I think you would be ok

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but who knows how the fish will act. But I definitely would pick a YCW over a melanarus

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so after reading everyone's feedback I think I have a more final stocking list and somewhat of a plan.
  • One spot foxface
  • iridis wrasse (think it might be less aggressive than a YCW or Melanarus, also thank you to @Lps_lover12 for recommending this)
  • flasher wrasse(still deciding but will stick to the genus Cirrhilabrus after reading the article by @i cant think)
  • one pair of ocellaris clownfish
  • longnose hawkfish
I will introduce these fish in small batches with what I believe to be less aggressive and territorial fish first and the more aggressive ones last
the first batch will include the hawkfish and the pair of clowns
the second batch will include both wrasses
the last batch will have the tang and the foxface

This will be the initial stocking list
If everything goes to plan and there is minimal aggression I will then begin to add the following fish
  • Royal Gramma
  • midas blenny
This will then complete the stocking list however I would still like to CONSIDER the following fish. I will only add these fish though if there are very few aggression problems and if I believe the tank can handle these fish after completing the stocking.
  • A captive bread biota yellow tang(this will be bought very small and would be traded in if it ever got too large or aggressive)
  • mandarin dragonet (will only add if there are sufficient copepods in my system)
  • blue dot jawfish
  • goby and pistol shrimp pair
  • earmuff wrasse
If any of these final fish were to be added it would most likely only be one of them and once again I would only add them after everything else had been added and if I do not see any substantial signs of aggression.

I should also add that every fish being added will be quarantined for at least 15 - 30 days and treated for various diseases via copper, prazi pro, metro, nitrafurazone, and formalin dips (will be mostly following the BRS 80/20 quarantine method). Don't know if that changes anything but it might help if anyone has any concerns about fish disease with my stocking list.

I would like to hear anyone else feedback on this "final" list and see what everyone thinks about it along with the plan and order of adding fish.
Thank you for everyone's advice and feedback!!!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay so after reading everyone's feedback I think I have a more final stocking list and somewhat of a plan.
  • One spot foxface
  • iridis wrasse (think it might be less aggressive than a YCW or Melanarus, also thank you to @Lps_lover12 for recommending this)
  • flasher wrasse(still deciding but will stick to the genus Cirrhilabrus after reading the article by @i cant think)
  • longnose hawkfish
I will introduce these fish in small batches with what I believe to be less aggressive and territorial fish first and the more aggressive ones last
the first batch will include the hawkfish and the pair of clowns
the second batch will include both wrasses

If everything goes to plan and there is minimal aggression I will then begin to add the following fish
  • Royal Gramma
  • midas blenny
This will then complete the stocking list however I would still like to CONSIDER the following fish. I will only add these fish though if there are very few aggression problems and if I believe the tank can handle these fish after completing the stocking.
  • A captive bread biota yellow tang(this will be bought very small and would be traded in if it ever got too large or aggressive)
  • mandarin dragonet (will only add if there are sufficient copepods in my system)
  • blue dot jawfish
  • earmuff wrasse
If any of these final fish were to be added it would most likely only be one of them and once again I would only add them after everything else had been added and if I do not see any substantial signs of aggression.

I should also add that every fish being added will be quarantined for at least 15 - 30 days and treated for various diseases via copper, prazi pro, metro, nitrafurazone, and formalin dips (will be mostly following the BRS 80/20 quarantine method). Don't know if that changes anything but it might help if anyone has any concerns about fish disease with my stocking list.

I would like to hear anyone else feedback on this "final" list and see what everyone thinks about it along with the plan and order of adding fish.
Thank you for everyone's advice and feedback!!!
Considering you want a Ctenochaetus species, avoid another tang. A yellow will risk causing havoc in a 4’ tank.
You aren't stocked at 8 fish by the way, my 4’x2’x18” tank (LxWxH) has 11-12 fish in it :)
As for wrasses you can have Atleast 6 if not 7-8 (my tank has 5 wrasses with 6 non-wrasse fish) in that tank size. There’s 4 different articles on wrasses, @SaltyT has a great one on Paracheilinus (The flashers).
Here they are;
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-genus-halichoeres-the-“wrasses”.883/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-fairies-of-the-genus-cirrhilabrus.879/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pseudocheilinops-ataenia-the-wrasse-with-bug-eyes.881/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/genus-paracheilinus-the-flasher-wrasses.872/

I recommend mixing Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus species but also having some other species from these genera;
Halichoeres
Macropharyngodon
Anampses

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering you want a Ctenochaetus species, avoid another tang. A yellow will risk causing havoc in a 4’ tank.
You aren't stocked at 8 fish by the way, my 4’x2’x18” tank (LxWxH) has 11-12 fish in it :)
As for wrasses you can have Atleast 6 if not 7-8 (my tank has 5 wrasses with 6 non-wrasse fish) in that tank size. There’s 4 different articles on wrasses, @SaltyT has a great one on Paracheilinus (The flashers).
Here they are;
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-genus-halichoeres-the-“wrasses”.883/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-fairies-of-the-genus-cirrhilabrus.879/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/pseudocheilinops-ataenia-the-wrasse-with-bug-eyes.881/
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/genus-paracheilinus-the-flasher-wrasses.872/

I recommend mixing Paracheilinus and Cirrhilabrus species but also having some other species from these genera;
Halichoeres
Macropharyngodon
Anampses
I do understand that about the yellow tang and am willing to leave it out of the stocking list.
But it's always nice to hear that I might be able to keep more fish!!! Especially another couple wrasses!

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok everyone so I do believe that i have a "final" list
  • One spot foxface
  • fairy wrasse(still deciding but will stick to the genus Cirrhilabrus after reading the article by @i cant think might get a hooded flame?)
  • flasher wrasse(still deciding on which one to get but am confident in keepinf after reading an article by @SaltyT )
  • longnose hawkfish
  • midas blenny
the first batch will include the hawkfish, the pair of clowns, and the midas blenny
the second batch will include all three wrasses

• Royal Gramma
  • leopard wrasse
  • blue dot jawfish
  • another flasher or fairy wrasse

finally are a few fish that I would want but would have to remove other fish for. Don't know why I am writing this part but I just feel like including it:
  • Trio of lyretail anthias
  • yellow tang
Anyways I would like to know if anyone has any feedback for me on this list or any other suggestions. I would also like to know if anyone thinks it is reasonable?

Thank you to all that have helped and provided suggestions and advice!!!

BlueFynn_Ian

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • One spot foxface
  • fairy wrasse(still deciding but will stick to the genus Cirrhilabrus after reading the article by @i cant think might get a hooded flame?)
  • flasher wrasse(still deciding on which one to get but am confident in keepinf after reading an article by @SaltyT )
  • longnose hawkfish
  • midas blenny
the first batch will include the hawkfish, the pair of clowns, and the midas blenny

• Royal Gramma
  • leopard wrasse
  • blue dot jawfish

finally are a few fish that I would want but would have to remove other fish for. Don't know why I am writing this part but I just feel like including it:
  • yellow tang
Anyways I would like to know if anyone has any feedback for me on this list or any other suggestions. I would also like to know if anyone thinks it is reasonable?

Just to throw another wrench into the mix, are you planning on having corals? I had to rehome my Blue Spot Jawfish. Absolutely loved her but her favorite activity was burying all of my LPS sand dwelling corals and even corals up on my rockwork. Definitely will need a deep sand bed 4-6" so they feel safe and can burrow.

Very pretty but caused havoc in my tank where I wanted to prioritize corals. Didn't plan to have her, but had to rescue from a friends tank.

Lps_lover12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • One spot foxface
  • longnose hawkfish
  • midas blenny

• Royal Gramma
  • leopard wrasse
  • blue dot jawfish

• yellow tang

Check out the pin tail fairy wrasse, I didn’t plan on getting it but after the fish store loosing the one I planned on getting I went with the pin tail and their stunning! Also has been very peaceful and has also become best friends with my royal gramma. But make sure you have a lid, mine has tried to escape many times!

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • One spot foxface
  • longnose hawkfish
  • midas blenny

• Royal Gramma
  • leopard wrasse
  • blue dot jawfish

• yellow tang

I would replace the Blue Spotted Jawfish with the Yellow Head Jawfish. The blue spots aren’t suitable for our reefs and need a temperate tank to thrive, in our warm water reefs they get impacted long term. In summer these guys are alright in 68-72°F but for the rest of the year you’ll want to keep them in 62°F.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out the pin tail fairy wrasse, I didn’t plan on getting it but after the fish store loosing the one I planned on getting I went with the pin tail and their stunning! Also has been very peaceful and has also become best friends with my royal gramma. But make sure you have a lid, mine has tried to escape many times!
wow, that fish is stunning! i'll definitely make sure to keep it as an option as a fairy wrasse I might add.

OP
OP
Herbie's Reef

Herbie's Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to throw another wrench into the mix, are you planning on having corals? I had to rehome my Blue Spot Jawfish. Absolutely loved her but her favorite activity was burying all of my LPS sand dwelling corals and even corals up on my rockwork. Definitely will need a deep sand bed 4-6" so they feel safe and can burrow.

Very pretty but caused havoc in my tank where I wanted to prioritize corals. Didn't plan to have her, but had to rescue from a friends tank
oh wow. I definitely plan on keeping many corals that are more sand dwelling so I might try to avoid the blue dot now too. Didn't really look into them too much before adding them to the possible fish list so I'll make sure to research it some more. Thanks for the tip!

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back