Need help with DIY Eggcrate lid

Ghost415

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my question here is , A- is this makeshift egg crate lid good enough with withstand the might of sum clowns and a orange spotted goby?
B- is the current good enough so that corrals will be happy?

This is a 10g nano reef and I’m planning on softies and sum LPS

This isn’t how I’m setting up my tank. I only put water in it so that I could see how the flow would work out and to adjust the sizing of the lid.

Light is a kessil A80, pump is just a koralia nano240 , and the HOB is a AquaClear 70

(Notes: rn the HOB has nothing in it.
Ik that with sum filter floss and sum more media like carbon flow will be just a tad bit less)

Attachments

• IMG_1751.MOV
    30 MB

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO, eggcrate (lighting diffuser) is a relatively poor choice for a DIY top unless you have only larger fish. The Clowns, especially when small will at least attempt to get past it and the goby certainly will. It will, as the product was designed, diffuse your light. Because you are using LED, you can turn it up higher to compensate but that seems a bit counter-productive to me.

A much better choice is to use window screen frame and 1/4" mesh. It is lightweight, blocks almost no light whatsoever. Get the frame for HD/Lowes, the mesh from BRS.

sergifed91

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i'm using eggcrates for my lids and so far only had a file fish jump to it's final destination. but pretty much no other problems at all with my other fish.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back