Need help with lighting on new 315g....

Eric81

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey All!

Just got my dream tank started and cycling and flip flopping on lighting. Tank is a 315g (72Lx36Dx28T) and has 2 braces going across the tank. Wanting to do the floating canopy concept. Will have a mixed reef, with plenty of sps.

Here are my 2 options.

1. ATI 60" 8x80w, with 2 60" Reef Brite XHO Actinic Blue strips on each side.
Pros: I ran this setup on my 120 for 6 years and had great results. No complaints, other than the costs of changing bulbs every 10 months or so. Less Start up cost.
Cons: Less Programmability, no dimming options, more power consumption and costs over the long run, heavier

2. 4 Radion XR30 G5's
Pros: Programmability, dimming features, virtually no maintenance, and lower power consumption over the life of the tank.
Cons: Higher initial investment by double, not sure if it will have enough spread, concerned the 2 braces could block out some of the light,

Also, the tank came with 3/8" glass covers. I have never used these, but would love to reduce the evaporation rate, and prevent my wrasses from jumping (especially being that I am going with a floating canopy). Will the glass covers greatly reduce the light penetration?

I realize there are no 100% right or wrong answers, so I would appreciate your opinions with supporting reasons.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean you do a hybrid...

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 135 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.7%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back