Need help with par from AI prime (16hd)

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know these are newer lights and not much about par out there yet but I can’t see them being much different then the older prime HD’s.

I will be using this light over my Nuvo 20 and I’m planning a mixed reef with mostly lps/softies but with a birds nest and a Montipora or two. I’m just curious how the par levels correlate with intensity. I plan on running the Saxby schedule or maybe AB+ but at the moment don’t want to run it at 100% I was thinking closer to 40-50% tops. Dose this mean I’ll be at around 40-50% par of the usual setting or does par not change that much?

I tried looking on here for this before so I hope it’s not asked all the time.

Thanks for all the help!

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuning in for the results :)
I run these on all my tanks, 2 over the 40 and 1 on each of the others. At 60%, I can keep lps and softies in ~10-15inches below water line. Run at 30% for rock nems.
Ive never been able to keep sps but I don’t know if it’s the light or my lack of super stable parameters. Lps flourishes but sps just breaks down and wastes away.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am workin on a 64 right now an kept it on acclamation for 5 days now I am at 100% an I’m running Saxby right now but am working on 1 as soon as I have all the pars down I will share

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew what you guys always talk about with the AB+, set light schedules, etc. there can’t be that many ways to run a light, right? Lol
Can’t wait to see what you find!

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I am workin on a 64 right now an kept it on acclamation for 5 days now I am at 100% an I’m running Saxby right now but am working on 1 as soon as I have all the pars down I will share

If you don’t mind could you test out a spot or two at 50% intensity to compare the par readings as well. Thanks!

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I knew what you guys always talk about with the AB+, set light schedules, etc. there can’t be that many ways to run a light, right? Lol
Can’t wait to see what you find!

AB+ is BRS way of creating the polyplabs schedule for the rations with the AI prime and AI hydras (they are slightly different for each light).
For the AI prime its
UV 119
V 118
RB 79
B 80
R 4
G 4
CW 19

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well ab+ is on the echo tech web page an explanation is there

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB+ is BRS way of creating the polyplabs schedule for the rations with the AI prime and AI hydras (they are slightly different for each light).
For the AI prime its
UV 119
V 118
RB 79
B 80
R 4
G 4
CW 19
Thanks again nick I did my due diligence an looked it up lol an found what it was

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB+ was an attempt at trying to recreate the spectrum attained from a two bulb t5 combo , and this was for radion Gen 3's BTW , not any other light ( they all use diff diodes ) there is also ALOT of other things that need to be done to follow the coral labs white paper ( which nobody ever does except the aquaculture places that had this white paper commisioned) it requires that you run the lights 24" off the water , and your highest par is 300. most of the people trying to run it are nuking the S%^T out of their coral . It is a professional method which needs to be followed exactly. Also if you think Saxby is going to be good your so wrong unless you have his tank size / flow /dosing . There is a modified Saxby already in the site to tone it down a bit from the massive UV spike. some prime channels dont exist on other lights so if you run a program like saxby a whole channel will be off until you program it. pick 15k , 17.5, or 20k from the standard menu and slowly raise your intensity , if you dont give acros full spectrum ....... good luck .

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I will give it a whirl When u say 15k are u adjust the kelvin first then go to the % numbers

NanoDJS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you needed that much UV ect , dont you think the engineers would have put more than 1 bulb in lol , its support not the main light source , it then gets into PUR , I never run my UV bulb over 40% Violet bulb over 50 % running ez setup with UV 35 Violet 45 royal blue/purple 70 blue 50 green 10 red 10 white 25 , and you should get around 300 ish micromole at your SPS level. its gonna look really white , but it will be around 17k , the primes are no joke they make alot of PAR . I run 2 over a 48x18x12 tank at this setting with lights like 18" off the water , they grow everything

OP
OP
Nick Steele

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB+ was an attempt at trying to recreate the spectrum attained from a two bulb t5 combo , and this was for radion Gen 3's BTW , not any other light ( they all use diff diodes ) there is also ALOT of other things that need to be done to follow the coral labs white paper ( which nobody ever does except the aquaculture places that had this white paper commisioned) it requires that you run the lights 24" off the water , and your highest par is 300. most of the people trying to run it are nuking the S%^T out of their coral . It is a professional method which needs to be followed exactly. Also if you think Saxby is going to be good your so wrong unless you have his tank size / flow /dosing . There is a modified Saxby already in the site to tone it down a bit from the massive UV spike. some prime channels dont exist on other lights so if you run a program like saxby a whole channel will be off until you program it. pick 15k , 17.5, or 20k from the standard menu and slowly raise your intensity , if you dont give acros full spectrum ....... good luck .

Personally I just like the look of Saxby and it seems to grow corals so it was a plus for me. I’m new and still learning all the time. Do you happen to know the link for the modified one? If not I’ll look for it after work.

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am toying with it now with the par meter to get 250 to the front sand bed for my clam or As close as I can
Then 300 3/4 top are for Monti poor a write now I have them about 8 in off the water

Aswswild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I ended up getting 275 at front right corner an light is 6 in off the water an I got 650 at middle along top water 3 in below water line. An that was with light at 100 %. I turned it down to 80 for a few days
Also made a all blue schedule just to see the degrees of par wit that an it was higher.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back