Need help with sizing pvc for returns and overflows

oldpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've got a 180gal tank from GlassCages on the way and am trying to figure out the size pvc I'm going to need. Schedule 40 1" return and 1.5" overflow. So a 3/4" Schedule 40 tube should fit the 1" bulkhead and a 1.25" tube should fit the 1.5" bulkhead, right?
Screen Sh.jpg

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I've got a 180gal tank from GlassCages on the way and am trying to figure out the size pvc I'm going to need. Schedule 40 1" return and 1.5" overflow. So a 3/4" Schedule 40 tube should fit the 1" bulkhead and a 1.25" tube should fit the 1.5" bulkhead, right?
Screen Sh.jpg
It should be 1.5” drains and 1” returns. The holes drilled in the glass are slightly larger to accommodate the bulkheads but the size of the bulkhead is the same size pvc you get.

OP
OP
O

oldpaddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be 1.5” drains and 1” returns. The holes drilled in the glass are slightly larger to accommodate the bulkheads but the size of the bulkhead is the same size pvc you get.
So a 1" pvc pipe will fit straight into a 1" bulkhead from inside the overflow box? Then I can glue in a 1" pipe to the bottom of the bulkhead?

It's been a while since I messed with aquarium plumbing. It's a peninsula style tank and I think I'm going to do the pump to returns with schedule 40 pvc. Plus valves and unions. My old tank was all flexible tubing and I didn't like the look of it. Though I'll probably do the overflows with valves and flexible tubing going into the sump.

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Here is the chart from BRS with hole size and pipe size:

TriggerFinger

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a 1" pvc pipe will fit straight into a 1" bulkhead from inside the overflow box? Then I can glue in a 1" pipe to the bottom of the bulkhead?

It's been a while since I messed with aquarium plumbing. It's a peninsula style tank and I think I'm going to do the pump to returns with schedule 40 pvc. Plus valves and unions. My old tank was all flexible tubing and I didn't like the look of it. Though I'll probably do the overflows with valves and flexible tubing going into the sump.
Yes, the bulkhead size and the pvc size are the same.
If you have any doubts, Glass Cages would be able to confirm for you.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 44.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back