Need help with these rocks and salinty

marrero412002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HEY FELLOW FRIENDS I JUST GOT BACK FROM COZUMEL AND WHAT A TRIP THAT WAS SEEN AMAZING FISH AND CORALS OVER THERE BUT I AM STILL NEW AND I NEED THE EXPERTS ON THIS I FOUND THESE ROCK OVER THERE AND I BRUNG THEM OVER FEW PIECES NOTHING BIG BUT I WANT TO USE IT ON MY QUARENTINE TANK I AM SETTING CAN YOU GUYS SHED THE LIGHT ON HOW CAN I SAFELY PLACE THESE IN MY TANK ALSO I GOT THE QT TANK BUT IT EMPTY THIS IS THE SITUATION RIGHT NOW I WENT AWAY AND LEFT MY HOUSE IN THE HAND OF MY BROTHER AND HE DOESNT KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING SO I JUST TOLD HIM TO MAKE SURE THE AC AND MT DT TANK IS COOL AND TEMPS ARE AROUND 75 TO 79 DEGREES SO HE DID THAT AND ALSO TO ADD TOP OFF WATER TO MY TANK BUT ITS SEEMS TO ME THAT HE JUST TOPPED IT OFF THE DAY BEFORE BECAUSE MY SALINTY WENT FROM 1.026 AND I TESTED IT ONCE I GOT BACK AND IT WAS 1.021 AND I WANT TO KNOW WHAT SHOULD I DO I HAVE NO FISH IN NONE OF THE TANK SINCE I JUST FINSHED CYCLING AND WANTED TO QT SOME FISH AS SOON AS I GET BACK BUT THIS IS WHERE I AM AT. SO THE QUESTION IS SHOULD I DO A WATER CHANGE ON MY DT TANK AND POUR THAT IN MY QT TANK AND MIX UP SALTWATER FOR THE REMAINING FOR BOTH TANKS OR HOW SHOULD I GOT ON ABOUT THIS. AND ALSO ABOUT THE ROCK I BRUNG BACK. tHANKS

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you don't have anything in the tanks I don't see what the problem is? If you want to raise the salinity slowly, just add saltwater for top off instead of fresh until it gets back where you want it. Rocks don't go in a QT. Do you have a sponge or filter cycled for your QT? Adding a clean up crew would normally come next before adding fish. Ask some more questions so we can help you.

OP
OP
marrero412002

marrero412002

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike Thanks but no i just order the filter so i will have to cycle that once i get it what do you suggest to cycle the qt tank.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a HOB filter and put the filter in the sump for a couple weeks before I need to use it. Also I use a sponge filter, seed it the same way.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cook the rock first, you don't want any unforseen critters coming to life on you. Then just thorw it in. Being as your still cycling, no worries, it will just take a bit longer. On your next top off, just add water that is higher in SG than your tank water is, that will bring it up some. Or being as its in cycle with nothing in it, shake in salt lightly, into a high flow area. Do alittle at a time, wait bout 15 mins, making sure its all dissolved, then test. Repeat if its not up.
I'd just mix up a new batch of water for your sump, theres no reason to use your tank water.

kes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
salinity is very important. use an accurate, good refractometer. i use the digital brand by milwaukee instruments and i Love it.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, actually boil the rock, cook it in the oven, and then leave it sit out for a few days in the sun to dry. Don't drink the water after you boil the rock in it.

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, actually boil the rock, cook it in the oven, and then leave it sit out for a few days in the sun to dry. Don't drink the water after you boil the rock in it.

Please do not take this advice and boil the rock on your stove. First of all your spouse will probably want to stab you second of all this is not the right way to prepare rock for our aquariums. Third, it's dangerous, as mentioned, boiling rock can release toxins sending your family to the local graveyard. Fourth, it's not at all economical, maybe if you have an outdoor turkey frier and a 15 gallon aluminium pot? Fifth, there are chemicals that are more effective if you want to eliminate all trace of life on the rock.

"Cooking" the rock refers to enclosing it in a light-free saltwater system with heating and flow. This is done to eliminate any potential algae on the rock. In addition, this practice maintains and cultures beneficial bacteria and pods that help our aquariums thrive.

This practice will also help kill of any coral eating pests, with no light the corals cannot survive thus the pests will also die off. I think most people recommend a length of 1-2 months to do this properly.

Do water changes to help pull out nitrates and phosphate from the die-off. Run GFO and carbon if you wish.

Last edited:

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't say drink the water or play professor with it while its boiling. There are tons of other Threads out there about boiling the rock on the stove, me included. We can play the link here thread all day. Its an opinion, no one said you have to like it.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 91 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back