Need help with torch coral!

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this coral for over a year. He has been Looking phenomenal from the start and even grew 6 more heads. I woke up on Wednesday and he looked fine. I come home from school and he is not opened. He has been like this everyday now. I don't know what to do, I will test the water and send pictures later today.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Tested my water and here is what I got
Phosphate-3.0 ppm
Salinity-1.025
Ammonia-0 ppm
PH-8.3 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate- 2.3 ppm
Calcium- 420 ppm
Magnesium- 1365 ppm
Kh/Alkalinity-15 dkh
Does anything seem off to you guys if so what and how can I fix it?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Tested my water and here is what I got
Phosphate-3.0 ppm
Salinity-1.025
Ammonia-0 ppm
PH-8.3 ppm
Nitrite-0 ppm
Nitrate- 2.3 ppm
Calcium- 420 ppm
Magnesium- 1365 ppm
Kh/Alkalinity-15 dkh
Does anything seem off to you guys if so what and how can I fix it?

15 Dkh is sky high! 3.0 P04 is very high.

What size tank?

Water change is needed ASAP.

What is your source water? Tap or RO/DI?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 Dkh is sky high! 3.0 P04 is very high.

What size tank?

Water change is needed ASAP.

What is your source water? Tap or RO/DI?
Its a 100 GAL mixed reef. I use a brs 5 stage ro/di water comes out at 0 tds. I am in the process of making water and I am going to do a 20% water change tonight.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a 100 GAL mixed reef. I use a brs 5 stage ro/di water comes out at 0 tds. I am in the process of making water and I am going to do a 20% water change tonight.

I'd retest DKH. Testing seems off to be so high. What are you dosing?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past week I have been dosing Fluval sea Alkalinity and Fluval sea 3-ions. I have the red sea reef foundation pro test kit. Any tips on how to test with this kit because I think I maybe testing wrong

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @Flippers4pups , the alk is sky high along with your phosphates, as flipper said, retest you alk and do a immediate water change. Test your new salt water before you do water change. What are the parameters of your new salt water mix at your current salinity of 1.025? You don't want to change your salinity to lower DT parameters when you add the new salt water as this will cause even more stress.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea kit could be wrong. They can be difficult to use. I personally use salifert.

I would stop adding any alkalinity supplement and perform a large water change. What salt mix are you using?

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im mixing my saltwater now. Would my coral not be opening because of light and water flow because he is in the same spot as before and i havent touched anything. Im posititive it my water but just double checking before my water change so I can fix anything thats wrong

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Hanna checker for my alk, but use a red sea pro test kit for Cal and Mag and found that as long as you go by the instructions they are pretty straight forward to use. When you start to see the red change to burgundy then slow down and drip one drop at a time, you will see it turn purple and then blue. Its not lab grade but will get you close enough.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using omega sea premium reef salt. I have used it from the beginning and its seemed to be working I am sure I have some red sea coral pro salt in my garage. What do you think I should use?

CODE3EMT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember on the Red Sea test kit you have to dilute with R/O water for nitrate and phosphate. Also make sure when you match up your color in the 2 vials read the ARROW, not the actual round color. There is a pointed arrow on the device that your vials sit in. With the exception of you Phosphate and Alk....... your parameters don't seem too bad. Thats assuming you read and tested correctly.
Remember READ THE ARROW, not the color. I made the same mistake. LOL.

Last edited:

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im mixing my saltwater now. Would my coral not be opening because of light and water flow because he is in the same spot as before and i havent touched anything. Im posititive it my water but just double checking before my water change so I can fix anything thats wrong
As long s no mucus is coming out of the skeleton I think you should be alright, @Flippers4pups may be able to elaborate on this, but maybe turn off your white lights and just run blue till it starts to open back up.

OP
OP
Alexreefer

Alexreefer

Coral, Coral, Coral!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long s no mucus is coming out of the skeleton I think you should be alright, @Flippers4pups may be able to elaborate on this, but maybe turn off your white lights and just run blue till it starts to open back up.
Ok I will change my light color for a couple days and I will get back to mixing my salt

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I will change my light color for a couple days and I will get back to mixing my salt
Lets see what @Flippers4pups says first before you do that as I do not want to give bad info and he is far more experienced than I am. I have 4 torches myself and love them and don't want you to loose it as I fell you feel the same way about your torch.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back