Need Help Wrasse bloated

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My melanarious wrasse has been bloated for four weeks and still no better. He eats and swims fine. I have no idea what's wrong. Please help. Not pregnant.
2faef5abf17dd6e51df99f13e70fe21c.jpg
d5477a7b1ebc10de34d42e9b3676d05a.jpg

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he been dewormed? Treated for internal parasites? Those could be treated with Metroplex & Focus, but I'm sure there are other possibilities . . . How long has he been like this?

@Humblefish, @melypr1985, @ngoodermuth - anyone have any experience with a fish in this condition?

~Bruce

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that it might be dropsy. Im not very familiar with it, but dosing epsom salt might help.
Also try to feed food soaked with kanaplex + focus to help fight any internal bacterial infections that might be causing it. Even better is to dose kanaplex + metroplex + focus to ensure all internal parasites and pathogenic bacteria has been dealt with.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agreed, I would try feeding kanaplex+metroplex+focus for internal infection/parasites. I'm not sure I've ever seen bloating that badly...but dropsy in saltwater fish is basically an internal infection.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has he been dewormed? Treated for internal parasites? Those could be treated with Metroplex & Focus, but I'm sure there are other possibilities . . . How long has he been like this?

@Humblefish, @melypr1985, @ngoodermuth - anyone have any experience with a fish in this condition?

~Bruce

Thanks for the quick reply. He's been like this for over a couple weeks. He's been established in my 120 for over two years The local fish store said he could be eating to much but I don't think so because I haven't changed any feeding habits.

What do you recommend for deworming and parasites? He's had metro and focus before but I'll try another round of it. I really hope I can fix this issue. Thanks

Blake

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is possible that it might be dropsy. Im not very familiar with it, but dosing epsom salt might help.
Also try to feed food soaked with kanaplex + focus to help fight any internal bacterial infections that might be causing it. Even better is to dose kanaplex + metroplex + focus to ensure all internal parasites and pathogenic bacteria has been dealt with.

I'll stop by tomorrow for a new round of all the meds. I read up on dropsy and only found info about fresh water species. I really hope it's nothing crazy was just hoping someone else had experiences this issue. Thanks

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^ agreed, I would try feeding kanaplex+metroplex+focus for internal infection/parasites. I'm not sure I've ever seen bloating that badly...but dropsy in saltwater fish is basically an internal infection.

He still eats and swims fine but it just looks miserable. I'm hoping those meds will work. Fingers crossed.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro / Kana / Focus can take a while. Ten days is probably minimum, but on my last go-round with the stuff I saw stringy white poop on day ten - so went another week. It can sometimes take up to three weeks.

Good news is that it's reef-safe, dosed that way, so feed it to _all_ your fish.

~Bruce

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metro / Kana / Focus can take a while. Ten days is probably minimum, but on my last go-round with the stuff I saw stringy white poop on day ten - so went another week. It can sometimes take up to three weeks.

Good news is that it's reef-safe, dosed that way, so feed it to _all_ your fish.

~Bruce

I did notice the other day stringy white poop. Do you know what it is?

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Generally, it's a symptom of internal parasites.

And a great reason to add Metroplex and Focus to your fish's food.

It also contains the eggs of those parasites, so when other fish eat the poop, they'll become infected as well.

~Bruce

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice the other day stringy white poop. Do you know what it is?

Internal parasites for sure, that would explain the bloating...likely a secondary infection from the parasites.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Geez. I never should have stopped giving the focus and metroplex. Let's hope I can fix his issue. I'll keep everyone updated. Will be feeding tomorrow asap and I know he'll be the first to eat since he's a pig.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. the bloating and white poop indicates intestinal worms to me. You'll want to feed the medicated food for about two weeks. It may take a bit longer to totally nix these parasites, but hopefully not. The Epsom salt is a good idea and also something that can be done in the display.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's to late for my wrasse. The fish store told me it probably wasn't parasites. I should have jumped on here asap.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think it's to late for my wrasse. The fish store told me it probably wasn't parasites. I should have jumped on here asap.

It's rare for me to see one with this level of bloating... but it's totally possible to cure this. Just be diligent and keep an eye on him.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's still eating and swimming actively, yes?

Only thing you can to is try...

(Just realized ... how does this guy _sleep_ at night?!)

~Bruce

Still eating and swimming fine. I'll make sure he gets a good dose of the meds.

He still buries himself just like normal. I'll be up bright and early.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Internal parasites for sure, that would explain the bloating...likely a secondary infection from the parasites.

^^ Agree; Feed Metroplex (for the worms) in the AM, Kanaplex (for the infection) in the PM. Or vice versa. Use Seachem Focus to bind both medications to food. Kanaplex will also induce diarrhea, an added bonus. ;)

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree; Feed Metroplex (for the worms) in the AM, Kanaplex (for the infection) in the PM. Or vice versa. Use Seachem Focus to bind both medications to food. Kanaplex will also induce diarrhea, an added bonus. ;)

Will do. Thank you

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update since it's been a month. No luck with the meds. Given everyday 1 measure of each kanaplex and metroplex, 2 measures of focus with tablespoon of LRS fish frenzy.

Any other ideas or keep giving meds?

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 22 31.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 57 80.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back