Need Help Wrasse bloated

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick update since it's been a month. No luck with the meds. Given everyday 1 measure of each kanaplex and metroplex, 2 measures of focus with tablespoon of LRS fish frenzy.

Any other ideas or keep giving meds?

Are you still seeing stringy white poop?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you try adding prazipro to the food as well?

General cure has both, that would be my suggestion. Switch out the metroplex for GC. Are you feeding other foods as well or just the medicated food?

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
General cure has both, that would be my suggestion. Switch out the metroplex for GC. Are you feeding other foods as well or just the medicated food?

I feed green seaweed every other night. I will sometimes give some pellets and flakes, but mostly the medicated food. I called seachem to verify the dosage. 1 metro 1 kana 2 focus in food

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed green seaweed every other night. I will sometimes give some pellets and flakes, but mostly the medicated food. I called seachem to verify the dosage. 1 metro 1 kana 2 focus in food

The dosage is fine, but you would want to feed as exclusively as possible for stubborn parasites...and this is a pretty severe case.

The general cure might be worth a shot.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dosage is fine, but you would want to feed as exclusively as possible for stubborn parasites...and this is a pretty severe case.

The general cure might be worth a shot.

I'll swing by and grab some General cure at LFS. Stop the metroplex and replace with General cure and see what happens. Thanks

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the medicine won't hurt the other fish when I feed??

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll swing by and grab some General cure at LFS. Stop the metroplex and replace with General cure and see what happens. Thanks

I'd stop the kanaplex as well, if it's not helping after a month it's not worth the continued exposure.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd stop the kanaplex as well, if it's not helping after a month it's not worth the continued exposure.

Ok so stop kana and metro. Not sure if I said in original post but I haven't quarantined the wrasse. I currently don't have one setup and I didn't think it was necessary. Will that be ok?

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm assuming the medicine won't hurt the other fish when I feed??

It shouldn't, no. Usually if one fish has worms you'd want to treat everyone anyway. It's just tricky that this is such a severe infection and you've been treating for so long already. I'm going to tag @Humblefish and @melypr1985 as well for more insight.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as you are only feeding via medicated food (which you can do with GC) it's fine.

If you need to start medicating the water...a QT would be needed. It doesn't have to be fancy, a 20 gallon with a small power head and heater can work in a pinch. I'd suggest a HOB filter and ammonia alert badge as well.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep updating as time goes on. Thanks for the knowledge and help.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ I agree with switching over to food soaking General Cure, which contains both praziquantel and metronidazole. There are a few internal parasites prazi does a better job of clearing.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was going to use the recommend dosage unless someone has used a different dosage that worked better.

I would double it up with General Cure: 2 scoops of GC + 2 scoops of Focus per 1 tbsp food.

Robink

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just asking (for future reference) ... could you dose the whole tank with prazi?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just asking (for future reference) ... could you dose the whole tank with prazi?

Yes, but dosing the water is mostly only effective against external worms i.e. flukes, turbellarians.

For treating internal worms (white stringy poop) it is best to food soak the medication so it can be delivered directly into the intestines.

Dosing the water has limited effect on any diseases occurring internally.

OP
OP
Blakelewis

Blakelewis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the General cure just came in. They're in packets so not to sure how much to add to the food. Any idea? Each packet says it treats 10gallons of water.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back