Need help

Mbrye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so my wife and I got a 10 gallon tank last week and anything that goes in that tank dies either that night or the next day it’s a fresh water tank and the water has been tested and all good so I’m not sure what could be killing them

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ok so my wife and I got a 10 gallon tank last week and anything that goes in that tank dies either that night or the next day it’s a fresh water tank and the water has been tested and all good so I’m not sure what could be killing them
Unfortunately I dont think you will get a lot of help.in the fresh water side of things here....BUT there are a few so I wouldnt give up hope!

I have no knowledge so I am giving this a bump.

Quietman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's freshwater...you still have to cycle is my guess. And actually you have to cycle more because nitrites are toxic in freshwater. If you don't know what I'm talking about...no worries. Just google "cycling freshwater" or " how to start tropical aquarium" and you'll get all the information you need with videos. :) Once tank is cycled, start slow and build up fish slowly.

Good luck!

OP
OP
M

Mbrye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have four tanks of different sizes all successfully keeping fish alive it’s just the one tank

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few possibilities:
  1. How long has the tank been setup? A FW tank doesn't need to be cycled as thoroughly as a marine aquarium, but it still needs nitrifying bacteria to process fish waste and uneaten food.
  2. Freshwater fish get parasites, worms, bacterial diseases and even fungal infections. However, most of these show up on the fish as white dots or "fuzz".
  3. Could a contaminate (e.g. bug spray, household cleaner) have entered the water somehow??

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a brand new tank? Was it in storage? Was it rinsed thoroughly? Might have some left over residue possibly? Since you have 4 other tanks I doubt you are new to this.

OP
OP
M

Mbrye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No visible signs of anything on the fish and I’ve been doing everything the same in all my tanks

OP
OP
M

Mbrye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was it a brand new tank? Was it in storage? Was it rinsed thoroughly? Might have some left over residue possibly? Since you have 4 other tanks I doubt you are new to this.
New but not new enough to skip out on any steps I’m a very thorough person

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting some media from one of the established tanks into the filter of the new one? What type of livestock and how many have been affected? Any gasping or pecking at the surface? Is the tank planted? What type of filtration? All of my FW tanks have been established for years, so I've kinda gotten behind on starting a new FW tank, but I'll help if I can.

OP
OP
M

Mbrye

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried putting some media from one of the established tanks into the filter of the new one? What type of livestock and how many have been affected? Any gasping or pecking at the surface? Is the tank planted? What type of filtration? All of my FW tanks have been established for years, so I've kinda gotten behind on starting a new FW tank, but I'll help if I can.
I had cleaned everything out in my tank and it’s day two so far that my dwarf gourami are still alive so that’s a good thing

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I have four tanks of different sizes all successfully keeping fish alive it’s just the one tank

Sounds like the tank had something in it... some cleaner or something that has left a toxic residue.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 73 51.8%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 72 51.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 31 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%

Back