Need ID on grumpy clam

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy looks pretty rough, at least through my ignorant eyes. So here's some history of what he has/is going through:
I acquired this clam with a bunch of rock and corals from a tanked that crashed. I'm not sure what happened. The previous owner said something about an ATO problem. Thats all I know.
I have everything in a 75g with only about 50-55g water right now. All the fish that was in the tank died but one wrasse. So Im going fallow with everything. I'm just under 4 weeks.
When I put everyone in this fallow tank, I made sure to use 50% of the tank water, 50% Redsea black bucket saltwater. I added the new saltwater over 24 hours. The old tank waters salinity read low @ 1.020.
The tank has no filtration right now. Im doing 30g water changes every 10 days. I'm using IO reef crystals, as thats the salt I plan to stick with. The corals in the tank showed a positive reaction from the first WC.
I have this clam sitting on the bare bottom: 14" deep, light is 13" from the surface. The lights I'm using are 360we, running at 50% intensity and 50% color.
The tank is loaded with some large leathers, bta about 3 1/2" dia., and a few lps, about 7-8 hermits. I'm feeding them reefroids once every 10 days, 6-8 drops oyster fest every 3 days, and I just picked up some lrs reef frenzy and tried a pinch of that on saturday.
I have algae so the hermits graze on that as well as the few times I added some brine shrimp for them.

Ok.. The Clam.
Does anyone know what kind of clam he is?
Should he be positioned anywhere in particular in the tank? Like par ratings or certain flow requirements?
Should I be adding anything different into the tank for him to eat/ maybe target feed him?
I'm actually surprised he's handing on. The tank/water was in bad shape when I got him.
Thanks in advance for your input!!

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol.
I forgot to upload a pic.. 20190617_132209.jpg

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an oyster in the genus Spondyllus. It is non-photosynthetic and will need particulates like plankton to feed on.
Thanks! It's kind of hard to start with something sick that you have no idea even what it is.
I'll order some plankton.
There is a slight opening, like a slit in his tissue. You can just see it in the pic. Is that normal?

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is just about all it will open. Looks normal from the picture, but sort of hard to see. Be careful with added plankton as it could increase your nutrient levels. Oysters and clams feed on anything in the correct size that floats in the water.

OP
OP
H

HawaiianReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did see a copepod on the glass the other day. But that's not really saying much.
I guess I'll keep going with reef roids, and oyster feast. The added reef frenzy should help a bit I guess.
I am concerned about the excess nutrients. Thats the reason for the large WCs. I'm planning to put a canister filter on it this week. It's just not in the position to plumb for a sump right now.
Thanks SO Much for your input. You guys on this site is a game changer in this hobby!!:D

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.3%
Back