Need new fluorescent setup

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like the time has come. I need new bulbs for my 75 gallon system. It is essentially a refugium. I don’t need to grow coral, just chaeto. I have been running 48” actinic white VHO bulbs on it since 1997, and I can’t seem to find replacement bulbs anymore, and they will only become increasingly harder to find as time goes on. So what’s a suitable replacement? Thinking of T5 bulbs, but wondering if my VHO ballast would still run T5. It’s an ARO ballast, 220 watt, wired for 2 bulbs. I’d obviously need new end caps... So is this even possible, or do I need to buy a new ballast as well? Don’t mind my wiring mess...
90C9801F-273D-4A00-BC35-433D3F9BFF81.jpeg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
VHO bulbs are still made. Champion Lighting sells them and there are no plans to stop making VHO bulbs.

However, if you still wants to replace them, most VHO ballasts will run T5s at a VHO level... around 80-90w for a 4' bulb. Most T5s are made to run at HO level at 54w, so you will be overdriving them. Over driving shortens their life. UVL does make VHO T5s, but if you are going to buy these from them, why not just the VHOs.

I have no idea what kind of reflectors that you have on your VHOs, but if they are good parabolic reflectors, then it will take more than one T5 bulbs to replace each of them. Most VHOS do not have any reflectors (or very poor ones) and with the output waste, they are much less efficient. With proper reflectors (rare from what I have seen), then it is pretty much a watt for watt with T5s - with my Apogee 510 par meter in my house, it took 4x ATI Coral Plus (Sunpower) to equal the same PAR as a pair of UVL Super Actinic VHOS on 4" parabolic reflectors - same power, same PAR.

OP
OP
Vette67

Vette67

Reefing since 1997
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice that Champion is just about the only one that sells these bulbs. I kind of figured since they were harder to come by that they were being slowly obsoleted. My main problem with Champion is that I need 2 bulbs, which would cost me $57.00, then it's $59 fixed rate shipping. That essentially doubles the cost. I know, I'm in the wrong hobby if I'm trying to save money, and believe me, after 20+ years in this hobby, nobody is more acutely aware of the expense of owning a saltwater reef tank than my wife. She gets to see all of my spending... But anyway, it is good to know that it doesn't seem like there are any plans to stop making them. I did have an LFS nearby that sold bulbs, and that's where I typically buy from, but since this quarantine thing, they aren't open. I may end up contacting them anyway to see if I can arrange pickup from them, because I'm sure they will still be around once everything settles down.

Thanks for the reply. You pushed me back to the VHO bulbs, which for me is the path of least resistance, since my ballast still works. I was figuring I would eventually have to get rid of the VHO, because I thought they were being obsoleted. Good to know you don't think that's going to happen any time soon. And if eventually VHO production ceases, I'll deal with it then...

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure VHO lamps are used in tanning beds which probably sustains their manufacturing plants. Just a matter of having enough aquarium demand to justify a run of them.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
UVL does make lots of specialty lighting. More people use VHO that you might. I know more people that use VHOs than people who use Radions... but I mostly only deal with people who have been in the hobby for a long time and the vast majority of them do not have much, if any, of an internet presence. It is a bit foolish to think that people who are online represent a wider segment of the reefing population - people with a larger, local club know what I mean.

You will have to worry more about closures due to economic downturns and depression/recession more than lack of use. Most companies who leave the hobby did so during the 2007-2010 mess or got caught up in law suite and had to close (RIP, PFO).

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
jda - what type of reflectors do you use on your vho's? Going back to the MH - Vho setup. In the past I just relied on the internal reflector of the bulb. If you could share it would be appreciated.

Also, how often do you change them out?
Thanks.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get one of these.
They are inexspensive and will bring you into the T5 world lol.
I use one on my 120 next to my ati 6 bulb.
They would do well for a chaeto bulb with lots of local light choices.
20200606_075559.jpg

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably have to get some aluminum and make your own. Mine are probably 15 years old back from when IceCap was still in business.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will probably have to get some aluminum and make your own. Mine are probably 15 years old back from when IceCap was still in business.
I have some older tek t5 reflectors that are on the wider side. Might give them a try first. Making my own is certainly something I'm going to consider.

How often do you change out your bulbs? How many hours a day do you run them?
Thanks.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 4 of 5 years. I only run them for an hour or two before and after the MH are on - I turn them off in the middle. I cannot remember off the top of my head. When I used them exclusively to light a tank, it was every 18-24 months. When you buy them, stock up a bit and save on shipping.

The UVL bulbs have internal reflectors in them, which gets some percentage of it, so they don't have to be as awesome as T5 reflectors which have 360 degree output. You might be able to bend those teks to make sure that nothing spills out. If you surround the VHO with 180 on the top with something and all of the light goes into the tank, they will replace 2x T5s of the same length - tested with my Apogee 510. If you let the VHO light escape everywhere, then the T5s on good reflectors will be better.

Last edited:

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every 4 of 5 years. I only run them for an hour or two before and after the MH are on - I turn them off in the middle. I cannot remember off the top of my head. When I used them exclusively to light a tank, it was every 18-24 months. When you buy them, stock up a bit and save on shipping.

The UVL bulbs have internal reflectors in them, which gets some percentage of it, so they don't have to be as awesome as T5 reflectors which have 360 degree output. You might be able to bend those teks to make sure that nothing spills out. If you surround the VHO with 180 on the top with something and all of the light goes into the tank, they will replace 2x T5s of the same length - tested with my Apogee 510. If you let the T5 light escape everywhere, then the T5s on good reflectors will be better.
Exactly the info I was looking for. Good idea on the teks.
Thanks.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back