Need opinions on flow - sps

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS Ninjas --

So got a small 28.5 rimless to feed my addiction until I get into my main home/digs in about a year. (See pics below) Has the sump / filtration in the back, behind the main display. I was going to use a Marineland 478 gph return pump, then also use a AI Nero 3 (2,000 gph) powerhead in the tank.

I have heard all sorts of different views on how much turnover you should have, ranging from 100x, often way more, to nothing less than 75x turnover rate. Also have heard people say that fast, especially in the sump/filtration, and the water can not process and filter as it needs to.

Looking back, in my old 145 tank, I ran sps and now come to realize I had WAY WAY WAY less turnover than that and my sps seemed to be doing alright with great growth (see pic)

** So my questions are:
1. should I get a stronger return pump?
2. what should I have my AI nero 3 at in terms of gph?

Also, was planning on having a sand bed... well, trying to. lol

20180406_114408.jpg 20180406_114621 - Copy.jpg tank.jpg tank2.jpg

PBar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
regarding the return pump, I would definitely reduce the flow of the pump... no need to have something extreme there in my personal opinion... 2 to 5 times tank volume should be more than enough...

On the other hand, hard to define now the speed for the Nero pump. I would say as much as you can.
The big challenge (limiting factor) will be the sand itself.

Maybe, in my opinion, you may have to consider bare-bottom...

I personally don’t like it visually... but I have admit that it is way easier to handle it.

Good luck!

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry much about heavy flow through filtration. I focus on getting as much random/changing flow as possible with powerheads. As much as I can while keeping the sand from moving too much. The nero 3 is a fine choice for that tank.

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!
regarding the return pump, I would definitely reduce the flow of the pump... no need to have something extreme there in my personal opinion... 2 to 5 times tank volume should be more than enough...

On the other hand, hard to define now the speed for the Nero pump. I would say as much as you can.
The big challenge (limiting factor) will be the sand itself.

Maybe, in my opinion, you may have to consider bare-bottom...

I personally don’t like it visually... but I have admit that it is way easier to handle it.

Good luck!
Thank you! And yes I am open to the bare bottom, but really prefer sand!

OP
OP
specialk

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't worry much about heavy flow through filtration. I focus on getting as much random/changing flow as possible with powerheads. As much as I can while keeping the sand from moving too much. The nero 3 is a fine choice for that tank.
Appreciated! yah the powerhead sold me when I first saw some videos on it ... I am really impressed with it

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A tank that size should be easy to replicate the tsunami zone in Phuket if you want. Corals get O2 and food on the current but it is easy to overdo it in a tank.

In nature, the water is moving by the reef all the time. Remember the purpose of the flow and the relationship between a circulating system and a one pass natural reef.
you want movement and fresh O2 and nutrition to be available to the coral, not a massive storm surge that plucks the tissue from the skeleton.
HTH

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back