need powerhead recommendation

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I’m needing help with picking out a powerhead. The tank is 30” long x 12” wide x 12” deep. I was thinking about an AI Nero 3/5 or a Hygger mini powerhead off amazon. I want something with controllability. My only concern with the AI Nero 3 is people say it has a more wide flow , which I’m not sure will be sufficient across the entire tank. Any help is appreciated!

thanks!

Last edited:

GillMeister

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that jet-like flow is what's best. Something like a powerful laminar flow would help your corals while preventing detritus buildup. Have you looked into gyres?

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I’m needing help with picking out a powerhead. The tank is 30” long x 12” wide x 12” deep. I was thinking about an AI Nero 3/5 or a Hygger mini powerhead off amazon. I want something with controllability. My only concern with the AI Nero 3 is people say it has a more wide flow rather than a jet stream like flow, which I feel I need for the longer time. Any help is appreciated!

thanks!
I just placed two Nero 3’s is a display that’s 30x20x16 and the flow is way better than the two very directional wavemakers they replaced. You’d be fine with one in your tank to start depending on how you have set up the scape.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that jet-like flow is what's best. Something like a powerful laminar flow would help your corals while preventing detritus buildup. Have you looked into gyres?
I apologize. I edited the post to represent what I mean more specifically. I have though of gyres, but I’m using HOB filters and I feel gyres would give me a more cramped look than I already have.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just placed two Nero 3’s is a display that’s 30x20x16 and the flow is way better than the two very directional wavemakers they replaced. You’d be fine with one in your tank to start depending on how you have set up the scape.
I appreciate it. I suppose I can always add another Nero 3 if needed later on! Here are some pictures of my tanks rockscape.

Attachments

• 03C12168-2219-48D4-ABB1-423416D2F7C3.jpeg
    03C12168-2219-48D4-ABB1-423416D2F7C3.jpeg
    177.1 KB · Views: 62

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate it. I suppose I can always add another Nero 3 if needed later on! Here are some pictures of my tanks rockscape.
You can always add another later if needed. I like the scape. Have you thought about painting the back of the tank black to hide the equipment better.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a AI Nero pump, BUT, I will have to say that they have some of the best ratings out there. They also have the backing of Ecotech, so that has to count for something.

I will not recommend Gyres in a 30in tank. They just way to powerful. I have 2 Gyre 350's in my tank and love them, but I still have them dialed down to 20-40 percent variable. If I raise the percentage any higher they will effectively remove my sand...LOL!!!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeabo ow-25. I run 2 in my 36x24x12. They are controlable and pointable. I only run them on level 3.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never owned a AI Nero pump, BUT, I will have to say that they have some of the best ratings out there. They also have the backing of Ecotech, so that has to count for something.

I will not recommend Gyres in a 30in tank. They just way to powerful. I have 2 Gyre 350's in my tank and love them, but I still have them dialed down to 20-40 percent variable. If I raise the percentage any higher they will effectively remove my sand...LOL!!!
Yeah - I’ve been reading reviews on them but just like most things there always the good and bad. I just read to collect data on common issues really lol.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeabo ow-25. I run 2 in my 36x24x12. They are controlable and pointable. I only run them on level 3.
I was thinking about Jaebo but I’ve heard consistently negative reviews so I was skeptical. I’m not sure about it yet!

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about Jaebo but I’ve heard consistently negative reviews so I was skeptical. I’m not sure about it yet!
I have been running them for 3+ years now and all still work.
These 0w-25's are in my frag system now after a good cleaning. They came from my 120.
I am a Tunze guy and tried them to see how long they would last.
All are still running with no issues.
I can buy 4 ow-40's for the price of 1 Tunze 6105.
I have enough backups to last me years at the rate they are lasting.
20200515_183735.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running them for 3+ years now and all still work.
These 0w-25's are in my frag system now after a good cleaning.
I am a Tunze guy and tried them to see how long they would last.
All are still running with no issues.
I can buy 4 ow-40's for the price of 1 Tunze 6105.
I have enough backups to last me years at the rate they are lasting.
20200515_183735.jpg
That’s awesome! I will absolutely consider them. I appreciate the information!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Tunze 6040! One of the best nano pumps out there and they’ll last forever. Very flexible flow patterns with removable defector. It can be mounted vertically, horizontally, with or without deflector, which allows you to lower the pump and push the flow up and over rock work. Think of it as a mini stream 3.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a nero 3 just to put some flow across my sandbed(I already have 2 jebao pp8's, 2 mp10's and a gyre in the tank). I was very impressed with the control ability, and the amount of flow it puts out for such a small pump.

2 nero 3 would work perfectly in that size tank.

OP
OP
L

Lou City Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze 6040! One of the best nano pumps out there and they’ll last forever. Very flexible flow patterns with removable defector. It can be mounted vertically, horizontally, with or without deflector, which allows you to lower the pump and push the flow up and over rock work. Think of it as a mini stream 3.

I haven’t even thought of this but I will definitely consider it now!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I haven’t even thought of this but I will definitely consider it now!
I’m still using the two I bought in 2015 and they’re kicking out the same flow. They can be controlled via apex or Hydros with the right cables. Cleaning them takes very little effort and the impellers have a safety stop in case a snail crawls inside.

Back