Need some help to ID this frag i bought.

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
254270A3-8048-4BA7-ABE2-0FB4977E2254.jpeg
Frag was listed as long tentacled xenia but ive never heard of it so i googled it and nothing came up either looking like the one in the pic. Anyone know what kind of xenia it is or is it even a xenia

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silver Xenia?
Nope doesnt look like it. Xenia looks like a tree with little branches right? The one i bought is literally just single polyps like GSP. It grows as a mat and has about 20 polyps on a 1.5inch plug. I honestly dont know what it could be lol

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of clove polyp (Clavularia sp.) to me.
It does look like clove polyps but the way it grows is so different from a clove polyp. This frag grows a mat like GSP lol. And im pretty sure i caught it pulsing at the store like maybe once every few mins too as to why i even bought it so im puzzled to what it could be haha

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a type of clove polyp (Clavularia sp.) to me.
+1

Whether it's labeled as a clove or anthelia it will spread and drop off stray polyps that get blown around the tank. Had a huge colony of it it the first tank. 6 inck stalks can shade out almost anything. Waves beautifully in the current.
Pretty and easy, just not colorful under actinics.

I didn't add it to this version of the tank.
fd786e6a1753d34b937a7101646190a5.jpg

Jacobscorals

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink anthelia waving hand.very aggressive grower and will take over if not kept on its own rock and if any part of it comes unattached you will find a new colony shortly after where it ends up.my wife loves this weed and so we agree to keep a little on its own rock and away from everything and I don't tell anyone I allow it and I don't speak of it with coral dealers or offer it for sale and it isn't allowed around frag swaps and you will be shunned for loving weeds but everyone likes their thing and they are nice looking but a lot of times it will come with a price:)

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink anthelia waving hand.very aggressive grower and will take over if not kept on its own rock and if any part of it comes unattached you will find a new colony shortly after where it ends up.my wife loves this weed and so we agree to keep a little on its own rock and away from everything and I don't tell anyone I allow it and I don't speak of it with coral dealers or offer it for sale and it isn't allowed around frag swaps and you will be shunned for loving weeds but everyone likes their thing and they are nice looking but a lot of times it will come with a price:)
Thanks it is an anthelia finally i know what it is lol

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue anthelia stays smaller in size. Still a beautiful weed, just less shading out of the mushrooms, etc.

Majano pest anemones are another one. The brown 1/4" anemone are obviously an ugly pest.
But the brightly colored 1/4" ones are beautiful!
They will still multiply from 1 to 6 in a month and sting anything close to them.
Aptasia X works great to kill them.

If it's labeled as easy care (weed from hell) I've tried it.
[emoji23]

OP
OP
J

Jonathan lee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know why mine isnt opening up ? Its been like this since i got it. I heard they wont open if the light is too strong for them or something. Do they need strong flow? Or would they close in strong flow?

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 19 73.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back