Need some help with Hammer coral :(

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got hits guy about a 3 weeks ago and for last week it was keep shrinking , any way to save him ? flower pot coral next to him doing ok
PH 7.9
Sal 1025

IMG-3183.jpg IMG-3178.jpg

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got hits guy about a 3 weeks ago and for last week it was keep shrinking , any way to save him ? flower pot coral next to him doing ok
PH 7.9
Sal 1025

IMG-3183.jpg IMG-3178.jpg
Try moving to a different spot maybe light is too strong for the hammer

Jason23

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try putting on sand for a bit away from middle or turn down your light power. I always put on sand then slowly move them up onto rocks. Got this about 2 weeks ago now and on sand. Happy as can be

image.jpg

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will do , i have 2 ocean revive led t247 blue 10% white 5. Lower than this ? I can try turning off white probably

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately I do not think it will make it with that much skeleton showing. I take it you haven’t tested Alk and Calc? My guess is alk instability could be at play.
No i havent. U mean low levels can cause it ?

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you guys recommend good test ? I want to add kalk to ato but i need to test levels first

Character85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna alk and calcium readers are very good but if looking for cheaper redsea reef pack is ok for testing kits.

Character85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna alk and calcium readers are very good but if looking for cheaper redsea reef pack is ok for testing kits.
Alkalinity should b between 8-12
Calcium is less important for hammer and softies in general but should be like 300 +

Mixing kalkwasser in ato will help to stabilize calcium and keep alk ph and calcium in check too.

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the system? you should also know the phosphate as high levels could irritate it.
you could save it i think mine did that for over a moth after getting it than it started to open up. could be flow could be light could be water stability. tell us more about the system. how old is it.

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how big is the system? you should also know the phosphate as high levels could irritate it.
you could save it i think mine did that for over a moth after getting it than it started to open up. could be flow could be light could be water stability. tell us more about the system. how old is it.
Its 100 gall , i dropped light to 5% blue 1% white
Will order some red sea test kit. Lfs was useless cuz they said sll in range but i think they skipped alk and calc test

OP
OP
K

kratosxxl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alkalinity should b between 8-12
Calcium is less important for hammer and softies in general but should be like 300 +

Mixing kalkwasser in ato will help to stabilize calcium and keep alk ph and calcium in check too.
1/2 tsp per gall as a starting point ?

Character85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dosing kalk in ur ato will help a lot of things if perameters are out of whack. It will help stabilize your ph, calcium, and alkalinity. Please make sure you are careful with your ato and make sure your sensors are working properly. If a situation arrises where the sensor malfunctions it could pour a ton of it all at once into the tank. Too much fresh ato water mixed with kalk added to the tank could spike your ph violently which could b detrimental to your tank. A back up sensor may be beneficial or just having a small 2-3 gallon tank drip kalk overnight to buffer your PH. PH im sure you know can swing a lot between day & night. My tank swings from 8.1- 8.3 everyday

King Turkey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wail waiting for the kit a 20 gallon water change might help balance things out.

Character85

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. What salt do you use? A salt mix geared towards reef tanks aka higher calcium, magnesium, stronium, and iodine levels would be more useful to you if you will continue to add more softies.

HOOPDEEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API test kits are garbage imo, so don’t chase numbers based on them. Hanna alk tester is very easy to use. I use red sea pro for cal and mag. As suggested do a water change to even things out. High phosphates shouldn’t hurt a hammer in fact they love phosphates, however no phosphates will kill them. I find euphyllia to be a bit finicky, they did not do well in my system til it was somewhat mature (~1 year) also when I moved my tank they suffered more than my acros. Make sure to feed them if you suspect you have low nutrients

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back