Need some RO membrane help

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I need some help with my new RO membrane.
My old membrane has been in service from 3/13/20. I decided to replace it simply because it’s been 1.5 years. My tap is 130tds, I was getting 3tds post membrane and 0tds after resin. That was 98% rejection. The new membrane is giving my 5-6 tds post membrane for 95% rejection. Will that eventually drop the longer it runs? I’m currently running the system for two hours as suggested on then membrane package to discard the possible preservatives.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, nor me but the only other thing I can think of is water temperature, but you’re not likely to be able to do a lot about that :)

pressure is always 60 and water temp is always the same. Hot Florida garage, although today happens to be in the mid 70s.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not sure what you’re asking.
On the RO there are two exit ports, the centralised one is usually good water, the off set one is the waste spigot. If that is at the top to let the air out, all is good.

If you’ve got a restrictor bypass set up, you could give that a blast also to increase flow through the entire unit for a while.
Edit - or just let the unit run while you take the restrictor off to make sure it ain’t blocked

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the RO there are two exit ports, the centralised one is usually good water, the off set one is the waste spigot. If that is at the top to let the air out, all is good.

If you’ve got a restrictor bypass set up, you could give that a blast also to increase flow through the entire unit for a while.
Edit - or just let the unit run while you take the restrictor off to make sure it ain’t blocked
It is now down to 4. I’m just gonna let it ride. I’m bypassing my resin so I’m not using it up. We will see what happens. It should get down to 3 like the old membrane.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my setup was in my classroom we had such good water, my membrane gave 1tds and my resin lasted forever. 3 is great but not as good as 1.

OP
OP
reefiniteasy

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I solved the problem. Incoming TDS is usually at 124. Incoming yesterday and today is 135. Pulling 3 tds from 124 is 97.5% rejection. Pulling 4tds with incoming at 135 is 97% rejection. Incoming tds has gone up apparently.

I only run the system once a week so sometime in the last week it’s gone up.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My membrane rejects at 4-5 but my TDS at the faucet is a bit higher at about 152 presently.
I wouldn’t have changed the one you were using.
I’ve read that membranes can last years.
If it ain’t broken why fix it?
I found my membrane was initially rejecting at 6-7. Now at 4-5, 4 months later.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Membrane rejection rate and flux (amount of pure water produced) will change over the first 6 to 24 hours of run time.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 27.7%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back