Need something to eat RBTA’s

HippieSmell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What will eat RBTA’s? I’ve got too many and not enough time to manually remove. The only requirement is that it won’t eat my other fish or absolutely devastate my coral. So, ideally a specialized anemone predator. Thanks!

CoralsAddiction

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve never heard of exclusive anemonevores. Usually butterflies and large angels will eat both corals and nems.
You can start clearing one rock a week manually. Eventually you won’t have any left.

OP
OP
H

HippieSmell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a copperband, so I’m guessing an angel would work better, depending on size. It’s a 320 gallon tank, but don’t like to cramp the fish.

Manual removal is not really an option. The rock work is extensive and encrusted with coral.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a copperband, so I’m guessing an angel would work better, depending on size. It’s a 320 gallon tank, but don’t like to cramp the fish.

Manual removal is not really an option. The rock work is extensive and encrusted with coral.
Nem cannon

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you make them available to others? Where are you located?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if they are small enough you could try this:

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Manual removal, then sell for $50/ea
20230907_085606.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As @sfin52 noted you want the nem cannon. Look at the post below. With regards to natural predator I'm sure there is something out there but the question is can you safely house it. Size, food requirements, etc. I don't know - just being captain obvious.

You can direct a constant flow (soft) on them and they will move. Might be able to get them on the glass then use a credit card to gently remove them. Or they will be transitioning locations with an elevated foot. Easy to gently remove that way also.

I know the feeling as do others who have kept them. Start with one. One is lonely then there is two. Two is an even number so you end up with three. Three becomes four and before you know it you are looking at a display full of them thinking you are in the Trouble with tribbles episode of Star Trek.

Time is questionable for all of us. We are in the hobby which we know takes time. Find a solution that works for you.

OP
OP
H

HippieSmell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why wouldn't you make them available to others? Where are you located?
Come get ‘em! Have fun taking them out.

The nem cannon is pretty clever and I could see that working for a few, but good lawd I’ve got probably 60 throughout the tank. I used to take rocks out with them attached and trade at the LFS, but the store stopped doing it and then things got out of control.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 44.7%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 71 46.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back