Need Tips for Upgrading

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shep
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Joined
Aug 27, 2014
Messages
6,864
Reaction score
6,574
Location
Maryland
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have a 20 gallon reef but I want something just a tad larger so I found a 27 gallon marineland cube w/stand for $160. I want to get it but I am not sure what the bet way to move everything over would be. How can I shorten the cycle time so that I can quickly move it all over? I don't have room for two tanks so I need to speed it up if possible. I would be using new dry sand and new dry rock but I have a HoB refugium that I would leave set up, it just has some mud/sand and a .25 lb ball of chaeto. How should I go about this? Thanks!
 
Why everything new? You can easily use the old rock and basically avoid cycling the tank altogether.
 
I might use the old rock, but its been glued together. Could I take it out break it apart to and then replace into a new design without killing everything?
 
I might use the old rock, but its been glued together. Could I take it out break it apart to and then replace into a new design without killing everything?
Yes. As long as the rock doesn't dry out then all should be fine.
 
good to know, could I still use new sand but old rock to avoid a cycle?
 
You probably can, but I would keep an eye on ammonia just in case. I would also seed the new sand with a cup full of the old sand just to kick start it.
 
You probably can, but I would keep an eye on ammonia just in case. I would also seed the new sand with a cup full of the old sand just to kick start it.
Good idea, I just want to change over to black sand I think it looks really nice in reef tanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 7 38.9%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 6 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 27.8%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 16.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new