Need to have 210 reef tank resealed - South Florida

Krzykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found and bought a good deal (least I thought it was) on a drilled 210 reef tank. After bringing it home and before setting it up, my daughter and her friends (13 year olds) thought wow - that's big - bet we could fit in it. So I let them sit in it and take some pics. Fast forward a couple weeks and I go to fill it up only to find out that there's a small leak. Was it like this when I bought it, did it happen in the move, or did the kids sitting in the tank stress it out ... don't know. But now I want to get it fixed.

Does anyone know anyone that does resealing of tanks in SouthEast Florida? (I'm in Palm Beach County).

That or do I bite the bullet and buy another one and try to sell this thing as a reptile tank.

TIA

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best analogy I can offer to resealing a tank is painting over a rusted car. May look better but the thing is still structurally compromised. If it’s truly leaking, then the structural seal is compromised. Tank needs to be taken apart and completely resiliconed.

OP
OP
Krzykat

Krzykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best analogy I can offer to resealing a tank is painting over a rusted car. May look better but the thing is still structurally compromised. If it’s truly leaking, then the structural seal is compromised. Tank needs to be taken apart and completely resiliconed.

Correct - looking to see if anyone knows someone in SE Florida that does that ... think too big a job for me to do on my own.

DCR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most the people offering resealing services are just removing and replacing the interior sealant without breaking apart the glass panels. I have broken down a number of tanks and its a big and messy job. Hard to keep from breaking the trim and chipping the edge of the glass. I normally re-use the panels for sumps or other containers. I doubt you will find anyone doing this.

PopDBE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not difficult. Just need the right tools. 90 degree clamps. I'm currently reseal a starfire 100g rimless. It's more challenging, but not difficult if eurobrace. It's a lot easier than resealing a Petco tank or other tanks that has black trims on top and bottom. I cracked and splinter two Petco tanks because the seams are very narrow. While the 100g rimless, I can get a razor blade into the seams much easier.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found and bought a good deal (least I thought it was) on a drilled 210 reef tank. After bringing it home and before setting it up, my daughter and her friends (13 year olds) thought wow - that's big - bet we could fit in it. So I let them sit in it and take some pics. Fast forward a couple weeks and I go to fill it up only to find out that there's a small leak. Was it like this when I bought it, did it happen in the move, or did the kids sitting in the tank stress it out ... don't know. But now I want to get it fixed.

Does anyone know anyone that does resealing of tanks in SouthEast Florida? (I'm in Palm Beach County).

That or do I bite the bullet and buy another one and try to sell this thing as a reptile tank.

TIA
Better to find leak early before you've got an established reef draining all over your home

Lot's of right answers to questions. If you go towards resealing, then make sure you get specific quote if re-silicone only sealing work or reattach glass and re-silicone - re-silicone only eventually will fail, you may stress every glass cleaning (I stress my glass cleanings - I'm letting coralline build up in corners (looks icky) because my 10 yr old used tanks silicone corners look abused)

Good luck!

OP
OP
Krzykat

Krzykat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After realizing that the tank is cheap compared to what's going in it ... I bought a new tank. Used were over $800 and my LFS cut me a break (probably close to cost) and got me a new one for $1,000. Now I can sleep at night

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 37 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.6%
Back