Need to kill a bubble tip anemone

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my bubble tip has split and one of the babies has moved its foot into a large shell. My very large and very nice lime green sinularia is also attached to this shell. Well the anemone is stinging the crap out of the sinularia. I have tried bugging the anemone to death in the hopes it will move, but its been three weeks and it has not. Any suggestions? Fully open the anemone is probably 4 inches across. I tried cutting get the shell. no dice. the sinularia is attached to a very large rock and the shell, so can't remove the shell.

only thing I can think to do is kill the anemone with something.

thoughts???

Lizbeli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it is on a shell and is removable from the tank? Im not sure what you used to try cutting it but using a dremel tool to cut the shell outside of the tank would be my first thought. Other options include pointing a powerhead at it so it wants to move away from the direct flow. Or would could take a screwdriver and tap the other side of the shell. I use this method to move my rock flower anemones. It can take a while for them to release their foot.

OP
OP
Bpfor3

Bpfor3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the shell is not coming out without ripping the Sinularia off the rock. It is attached to both rock and shell

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
298409AE-56D2-437B-B7C3-8C97C9179772.jpeg

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the shell is not coming out without ripping the Sinularia off the rock. It is attached to both rock and shell
Just take a clean blade and cut off the leather, then move the shell. There’s no reason to kill an anemone on purpose.

chowberg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make RO ice cubes and hold the ice cube(s) on the base or near the base of the anemone. I would try the powerhead first, but the ice cube trick worked for me in the 90's.

Interesting method. Never tried this but makes sense. Pretty much just creating an uncomfortable environment (i.e. powerhead method) for the anemone. Do you remember when you did this, did the anemone let go or move? No worries if you don't remember, I barely remember what I did this morning.

I have tried the powerhead method but the anemone just kept moving (instead of letting go). My rocks are all mortared together and I couldn't get the anemone to go on a loose rock I put but the anemone's foot.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting method. Never tried this but makes sense. Pretty much just creating an uncomfortable environment (i.e. powerhead method) for the anemone. Do you remember when you did this, did the anemone let go or move? No worries if you don't remember, I barely remember what I did this morning.

I have tried the powerhead method but the anemone just kept moving (instead of letting go). My rocks are all mortared together and I couldn't get the anemone to go on a loose rock I put but the anemone's foot.
I've had success with the powerhead method, but not always. I've tried the ice cube method on a few different anemones and they did not like it all and most started to release quickly.
To the OP, if you can simply pull the shell out, then I would just pull it and turn it upside down over your tank. The coral will be fine out of the water, but the anemone will soon start to loosen itself and you can use a plastic knife (as mentioned above) to help move it along. I did this with an anemone not too long ago. Took about 15 minutes or so to fully release.

SmallLebowski

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you remove the object it’s stuck to? If you hold the anemone upside down right above the water, it might be more willing to release its foot.

Rilo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the rock close to my powerhead and placed the powerhead on random mode and blasted the anemone... After 30 min -1 hour it released. I've heard good things of the ice cube route.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW.

Killing the marine life we keep is not an acceptable resolution.

Never have I intentionally killed a purchased invert because they acted like the animal they are.

Sorry for your inconvenience.
The OP did make a statement about trying to figure out how to get it out. I don't think killing was ever their goal or what they really would like to do here, they just did not know a good next step. Good news is that they came to R2R for advice.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange because that is the title of the thread.

I have read every response.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Desperation causes us to do strange things sometimes, but fortunately there's wisdom and experience here to lend a helping hand. Stay positive and don't be afraid to ask for help. I agree, asking for help was the best thing the OP could've done, despite the thread title.

DarthSimon

Team R2R
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can pick up the shell out of water and let the nem hang upside down until it falls off. Try this when nem is fully open. Hang it over a bucket with some salt water. Takes 5-30 minutes... Eventually the anenome will just fall right off.
If that doesn’t work, cut the Leather of with a sharp blade and re attack it to a rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 70 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.3%
Back