Need to lower phosphates now !

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Making the long story short I was on vacations and ICH made a feast of my fish, lots of casualties, no ammonia in the tank but phosphates are and I have a huge hair algae bloom.

Which is the most efficient way to take it out? Water changes are not doing anything atm.

Thanks !

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running gfo that Will help reduce po4 . As for the hair algae pull as Much as you can while doing wc .. and get Some mexican turbo’s

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. More water changes (continue with that)
2. Run a TON of GFO (BRS carries it in bulk) through a reactor
3. Add a refugium / chaeto reactor / algae scrubber. This will use up a lot of phosphates and try to outcompete the algae for phosphates. Chaeto reactor works well and quickly, algae scrubber takes awhile, refugium works too but you'll need a specific space for it to grow chaeto.
4. You can also try dosing Red Sea NoPo4-X. It's essential a carbon source (vinegar and a bit of vodka perhaps) and will build up nitrate/phosphate processing bacteria. Takes a little while for it to kick in, but it'll work. You have to be VERY good at dosing daily (or multiple times a day) and don't miss a day. An auto dosing pump (with special lines, like the usual poly lines used with RO/DI) would help with that
5. Stop feeding anything if possible
6. Keep manually removing algae
7. Turbo snails and sea hares will help you manually remove (but will still poop, so they can't do it all). Sea hares are great, but very delicate to acclimate to a tank and will ultimately starve once algae runs out, so be sure to find a new home when you're cleaned up

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I don't run GFO. it's that the best way?
GFO is wonderful.

But you need to let it tumble in it's own reactor to get the full benefit.
Use a very small dose off the bat to lower the phos. slowly. If you drop it down too fast, you could shock your reef.

OP
OP
juanmanuelsanchez

juanmanuelsanchez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have a reactor. I already ordered some online should be arriving next week.

Hope this works fast. The ammount of algae is really high

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.8%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 165 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back