Need to put off a bug fogger in the garage, safe for tank?

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently moved an older car into my garage and it's apparently full of brown recluses. Can't walk into the garage without seeing at least two of them out and about. I want to set off a bug bomb out in the garage. Turn off the A/C system so no air circulates and put a towel under the door work well enough to keep the rest of the house and tank safe? I'd set it off in the morning and let it go throughout the day. I don't have any fish/corals since the tank is still cycling but wanted to get opinions before I did anything.

James

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dug this out of the pits of google as an alternative:
What are natural preditors of Hobo and Brown Recluse Spiders?

There are 3 major predator spider types that if found in homes seem to reduce the amount of Hobo spiders: the Steatoda spiders, Large jumping spiders, and the other harmless European House spiders.

Pets such as cats will feed on Hobo and Brown Recluse spiders after playing with them. The preying mantis will also eat Hobo spiders but due to its day time activity and the Hobo spiders night time activity optimum results are not achieved.

Other competitors or predators would include birds, cats, "cat face" spiders, wolf spiders, some crab spiders, several wasps, and other web weavers that may catch a hobo in its web and then feast. The reason for some of the effectiveness of these other insects is not because they are incredible hunters. Instead, it is because of competitive exclusion or in other words, there just isn't enough room or food for the hobo spider so it won't try to make a home.

How can I control Hobo and Brown Recluse Spiders?

The foremost expert on Hobo Spiders, stated that ". . . traps are far and away the most safe and effective measure that can be used for controlling hobo spiders indoors." And, in fact, traps have shown to be the most effective means available to control Hobo & Brown Recluse Spider populations.

In order to kill Hobo or Brown recluse spiders with pesticides you usually have to hit the spider directly with large doses. The problem with non discriminate spraying is that you kill the good competitor and predator spiders and insects and thus make more room for the more mobile and hardy Hobo & Brown recluse spiders. This will often lead to a worse problem as one man witnessed in 1997 in his own home.

jmann124

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could cover your tank with a blanket or tarp or something. Then run something like a dryer hose out of you canopy, down out of the covering, and our a window for ventilation and some has exchange. Also put towels down at the bottom of every door that goes from the garage into your house. That should minimize or eliminate any effects. I may not be thinking through this enough. But that's my .02.

OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the garage sealed off and the A/C not on I wouldn't think it'd be that big of an issue.

OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LoL, not sure about that with the chance of the spiders hurting a cat. I have two of them but if something happened to one of them, my girlfriend would have my ****!

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticky pads work great for them. Because once one is there the others try to go and eat it and get stuck them selves lol. My parents house is old and they have sticky pads and catch them all year long. But never see them in or around the house.

Also like mentioned above most bug bombs don't kill them. We had a few in our house when we bought it. I set off 8 bombs in a 1400sq ft house. 4 up stairs and 4 down stairs. Yes it slowed them down and they were pretty messed up. But still alive and kicking after words the few that we saw.

Thy like clutter and dark spaces. So if you have boxes in your garage they are going to move into them. Best bet would be move the old car out and completely clean it out. Also clean the garage out. Just be careful while doing so, they don't usually bite unless feeling threatened.

-Alex-

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The more important issue at hand is the spider has to be sprayed directly to kill it. A fogger is not effective. I see Alex beat me to it. Alex has good advice. Those traps used for mice work well. Put them in the corners and along the wall.

Last edited:

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Traps for sure work, but Have you seriously ever heard of a cat getting bit by spiders? As soon as one touches their fur they notice, even while sleeping. They have an electrostatic charge in their fur on top of extreme sensitivity to movement. My cats are extreme hunters and even kill wasps that get into my fish room. At minimum they will point out the bugs if they can't reach it for me to hulk smash. :D

OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticky pads acquired as well as Andro granules that say it'll kill the spiders. I'm pulling the car out and going through it and cleaning the garage out too today. Glue traps all around and granules under all the shelves and benches.

Very true on the cats, maybe they will accompany me on my adventure!

Last edited:

JuanGutz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I'm in colorado and I constantly find brown recluses in my room at least 4 a week a d they are always in my tub I've tried spraying every corner but I can't figure out where they are coming from I have yet to try the mouse traps but heard they work other then that I kill them when I see them and just don't worry about it. Although.... The girlfriend won't stay over anymore but I'm moving in a few weeks so won't be my problem for long.

Bryn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
meintn,

What is the name of the product you are using. If possible could you send me the EPA registration number please.

Bryn

SeymourDuncan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang Juan! You should add that to the "how to scare her away" book haha. I bet you at least wake up with blankets unlike me. >:|

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha I'm in colorado and I constantly find brown recluses in my room at least 4 a week a d they are always in my tub I've tried spraying every corner but I can't figure out where they are coming from I have yet to try the mouse traps but heard they work other then that I kill them when I see them and just don't worry about it. Although.... The girlfriend won't stay over anymore but I'm moving in a few weeks so won't be my problem for long.

What kind of roof do you have?? If its a shake roof that is your problem as shake roofs attract silverfish and thy are the main food supply brown recluse hunt for. Here in Kansas a few houses have it and they all have brown recluse problems and the pest companies make a killing off them. But some are honest and say change yor roof or you'll never get rid of them.

-Alex-

OP
OP
meintn

meintn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of roof do you have?? If its a shake roof that is your problem as shake roofs attract silverfish and thy are the main food supply brown recluse hunt for. Here in Kansas a few houses have it and they all have brown recluse problems and the pest companies make a killing off them. But some are honest and say change yor roof or you'll never get rid of them.

-Alex-

**** it, we have silverfish here all in the yard and the garage. There's another piece to the puzzle...

Raymondzmarshall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big 1 up on sticky pads ......
I hate spiders ... My biggest fear ... I put sticky traps along walls of house and around bedpost
So they can't climb in bed lol ...
Stick pads work amazingly ... Throw some cri keys on the sticky pads
And the spiders can't resist

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back