Need urgent coral ID please

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, got this frag as a gift but I’m not sure what it is (some type of finger I guess) and the coral is not doing well.
when I got it (warm day) I took it home, dripped it and then dipped it (came super clean , not even a pod) then since I didn’t have frag plugs from reef putty I made a “frag” housing.
Placed it on the bottom of the tank and Coral went down (wouldn’t stand up). I placed it a bit higher and it started opening up its polyps but it still won’t stay up.

can you please tell me what coral it is and what conditions it likes (flow, light) and also if it’s bad how I made it a stand? I got frag plugs not so I can use cyano reef glue to glue it to the stand , or I saw someone use zip tie to secure it to the plug.
Any help is welcome.
Thanks

2BE3DF4A-CCA5-4575-A37E-CE592CCBB09E.jpeg
2BE3DF4A-CCA5-4575-A37E-CE592CCBB09E.jpeg

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly hard to say. Tank age? params?
Tank is only around 2 months and parameters are good, other corals are fine . I’m afraid if perhaps temperature in transport wasn’t an issue or if the way I attached it is not good ? Thanks

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, leave it be. You also appear to have a bit of a cyano outbreak going on. The cyano will undoubtedly irritate the coral in the future.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is only around 2 months and parameters are good, other corals are fine . I’m afraid if perhaps temperature in transport wasn’t an issue or if the way I attached it is not good ? Thanks
what are the params? do you use tapwater?

Give the coral some time, mild light and mild flow

tank is too young for coral rn IMO

Smirkish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small leather, maybe a Kenya tree or a sinularia, as stated above. If so, it won’t stay put with glue or putty- you will have to bind the base to a rock/plug with a rubberband or the like. They slime up quite a bit so have to be held down till they get a footing.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like a Sinularia to me. They like moderate flow and lighting. Right now it is stressed after the move, but it should be standing up within a few days. I hope that this helps!
Thanks, that looks like it might be correct. Do you think it’s bad I enclosed it’s “root”, is it better if I glue it on the frag plug? Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, leave it be. You also appear to have a bit of a cyano outbreak going on. The cyano will undoubtedly irritate the coral in the future.
I am aware, tested everything yesterday at LFS and water seems fine, probably because I was feeding a bit more for the shrimp as he seemed a bit stressed after a move, but now he is looking great so I stopped doing so .

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all go through cyano, its just your turn in the cycling period. No biggie, just wanted to bring it to your attention.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a small leather, maybe a Kenya tree or a sinularia, as stated above. If so, it won’t stay put with glue or putty- you will have to bind the base to a rock/plug with a rubberband or the like. They slime up quite a bit so have to be held down till they get a footing.
I see, that’s why I saw simular corals zip tied to the frag plug . I’ll do the same tomorrow then, for today I’ll leave it be to recover a bit. Thanks

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that looks like it might be correct. Do you think it’s bad I enclosed it’s “root”, is it better if I glue it on the frag plug? Thanks
As said by @Smirkish , soft corals do not mix well with glue or epoxy. I would recommend rubber-banding it to a frag plug or piece of rubble for a few weeks. It will attach on its own, and then you can glue the plug to the rock.

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what are the params? do you use tapwater?

Give the coral some time, mild light and mild flow

tank is too young for coral rn IMO
No it’s rodi mixed with redsea salt by lfs, I don’t have parameters (don’t have tests yet) but yesterday I tested everything at LFS and everything seemed quite good (nitrate perhaps a bit higher around 20) Thanks

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said by @Smirkish , soft corals do not mix well with glue or epoxy. I would recommend rubber-banding it to a frag plug or piece of rubble for a few weeks. It will attach on its own, and then you can glue the plug to the rock.
Thanks, will do so. Never really had soft corals before (except Zoa) so didn’t know what’s the best option . Thx

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You buy your water at your local LFS? Most of them when they mix salt water for sale, they use Instant Ocean. Im not saying its not red sea salt, but usually its IO, or IORC. Definitely get yourself your own test kits that is a must.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it’s rodi mixed with redsea salt by lfs, I don’t have parameters (don’t have tests yet) but yesterday I tested everything at LFS and everything seemed quite good (nitrate perhaps a bit higher around 20) Thanks
What was the po4?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ask what Redseasalt. Redsea coral pro will give you an alk thats too high, so mind that

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a sinularia frag that was attached to a plug. It came loose 3 times. I watched a video on YouTube on how to frag sinularia. They put a toothpick through the base and used a rubber band to attach the toothpick and coral to the plug. Unfortunately it came of that also but the toothpick stayed attached! I then took a small plastic container filled it with rock ruble and set on the bottom with the sinularia in it. In about 10 days it attached to a decent size chunk o rock and glued that where I wanted it. It’s about 10 times the size now. Good luck.!

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You buy your water at your local LFS? Most of them when they mix salt water for sale, they use Instant Ocean. Im not saying its not red sea salt, but usually its IO, or IORC. Definitely get yourself your own test kits that is a must.
I plan to do so soon, have to get other test kits too

OP
OP
R

Rohirrimus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a sinularia frag that was attached to a plug. It came loose 3 times. I watched a video on YouTube on how to frag sinularia. They put a toothpick through the base and used a rubber band to attach the toothpick and coral to the plug. Unfortunately it came of that also but the toothpick stayed attached! I then took a small plastic container filled it with rock ruble and set on the bottom with the sinularia in it. In about 10 days it attached to a decent size chunk o rock and glued that where I wanted it. It’s about 10 times the size now. Good luck.!
Hmm , I saw something with zip tie, I did it yesterday as it was coming loose, and it looked like it will hold yesterday, but today bother issue:
C098B089-1DA7-437B-9F41-EF94114D3117.jpeg
D4DE5465-916D-49DA-907F-8F1D502D1976.jpeg
A117B689-5748-4CE1-B1BB-44C509FF6F4F.jpeg
E3278F1B-C1A9-4D50-9DCB-5263099DF70A.jpeg

It looks like it’s literally tearing it self apart where zip tie is. (And no I didn’t over tighten it).
Could you perhaps link that YouTube video?
I got a reef superglue too, I was thinking to try that as it seems like it will tear apart fully , to glue it standing up from the tear, then place it in breeder box for a weaker flow until it strengthens a bit? Thanks

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 125 88.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back