Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMAG0101.jpg
IMAG0103.jpg
I recently aquired this skimmer from a LFS. My concern is what this (D.I.Y.) skimmer by a unknown person can handle? I currently have it running my 125 mixed reef, but I'm concerned that it may be too small for my system. I have an old Mag 5 running it witch seems fine, but I need help from the skimmer pros. It pulls plenty, but I want to make sure from yall that it could be able. The mesurements are as follows: Body width is 6"wide, Cup is 6" wide x 5" tall, Body is 6" x 9.5", neck is 3" wide x 5" tall, Total is 19.5

I hope these photos are good enough for help. Ain't much at taking pictures. Sorry. All help and comments are welcome.

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Certainly looks large enough. Check your levels then you can not skim not a week and check your levels. That way you got some reference numbers while you wait for more knowledgeable members

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I'm trying out an algae scrubber. Could that be a secondary option for you?

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure at this moment. I've looked into them, but haven't decided to try it. It wouldn't hurt to try for me as most things are DIY. I take an idea and run with it. Is yours working up to par for you and are you thinking of replacing your skimmer with the scrubber, or just looking for 0 readings?

JackoChang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No scrubber for me right now, I checked out the algae scrubber thread though. Sounds simple, but I don't think I can route my outlet in a manner to not do it without adding a pump.

Your skimmer is a DIY you said? I saw a sticker on it, but not familiar with the brand. I'm checking out the swc extreme 200, $290 isn't bad.

Now I just need to make up my mind about the new skimmer or the scrubber. I really just want 0 po4 and nitrate. I like things simple and adding extra reactors isn't my style.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Saltgator

Saltgator

Tang Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand and I believe my skimmer is DIY. It is made out of standard PVC. I have searched the brand a billion times over with no luck. The scrubber vs. the skimmer for me would likly point to the skimmer. I believe that the skimmer would be more like steady ground to me. Something that is always going to work. The scrubber in my mind hasn't had the time out in home tests and could still have the reverse effect. This is just my .02 I believe the skimmer can't fail unless a person just puts it in and forgets about it for well past a couple months. As for the scrubber, I think that if left for just the right length of time without maintenance, it could leach right back in the DT. Atleast with most skimmers, you can drain the collection cup directly into a seperate collection area, basicly allowing for little to no maintenance for some time without ill effects. Again, just my .02 I'm sure someone might correct me, or hopefully jump into the thread and help us on both of our situations

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 37 43.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back