Nem ID?

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I got this nem at my LFS today, it was labelled a mini mini?? nem, apparently a mini carpeting variety that is much smaller than mini maxis, just looking to either confirm that or see if it was misidentified. It is tiny, less than an inch wide, bright green. Has a dark red foot if that helps

IMG_8386.jpeg IMG_8385.jpeg

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does look like a haddoni
I’m genuinely so confused what it could be. It resembles a fair few carpet nems (as I guess they all look similar), my only bet unless someone has a definitive ID is to let it grow n see what happens

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large, pointed tentacles around the outside edge are consistent with a maxi mini. Good color though, regardless. And if it starts splitting at a small size, I'd love to get a new variety of mini carpet into the hobby. The only other one I'm aware of like yours (if it's not a maxi mini) is the Bali Blood Red Mini Carpet Anemone.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The large, pointed tentacles around the outside edge are consistent with a maxi mini. Good color though, regardless. And if it starts splitting at a small size, I'd love to get a new variety of mini carpet into the hobby. The only other one I'm aware of like yours (if it's not a maxi mini) is the Bali Blood Red Mini Carpet Anemone.

The description on that listing almost matches word for word what the seller told me. Doesn’t grow very large, splits fairly often (he said it’s split for him a few times now), and none grow very big, staying around that size at max. Could it be possible to just be a tiny variation of a mini maxi?

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The description on that listing almost matches word for word what the seller told me. Doesn’t grow very large, splits fairly often (he said it’s split for him a few times now), and none grow very big, staying around that size at max. Could it be possible to just be a tiny variation of a mini maxi?
Maxi mini carpets do not split naturally, as far as I know. So if it splits on it's own, especially frequently, it is not the same species. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxi mini carpets do not split naturally, as far as I know. So if it splits on it's own, especially frequently, it is not the same species. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
Yeah my thoughts exactly. Should be super interesting to see what happens!! Hopefully someone can ID, but may be a very rare carpet variety. Can’t wait to see, and if I get anymore info, I’ll update the thread accordingly

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mini carpet. S. tapetum the mini variety. These carpets are different than a small Haddoni in that the outer roll are f tentacles are elongated. Your pictures is not real clear but your anemone seem to have this.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mini carpet. S. tapetum the mini variety. These carpets are different than a small Haddoni in that the outer roll are f tentacles are elongated. Your pictures is not real clear but your anemone seem to have this.
So it’s just a mini maxi then? How abt it’s insanely small size, I thought mini maxis were always larger than this?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I misread your message. It’s a mini variety of a mini maxi?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mini mini. I keep both of the mini carpets before. They both has elongated tentacles peripherally, but internally the mini mini have tentacles that looks uniform and the oral plates does not look irregular like tie Maxi mini.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a mini mini. I keep both of the mini carpets before. They both has elongated tentacles peripherally, but internally the mini mini have tentacles that looks uniform and the oral plates does not look irregular like tie Maxi mini.
Oooooh I see. Super interesting. Have you seen many colour variations of these mini minis?

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@OrionN

this mini mini has double in sized, its almost 2 inches wide now. is this typical of them? its exhibiting rapid growth, i do feed it mysis once a week, but man its exploded recently

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sound like a Maxi-mini. Can you post a picture?
@OrionN

Sorry for pic spam, just want to ensure you can see everything. If you need other specific photos, let me know:)

Attachments

• IMG_0306.jpeg
    IMG_0306.jpeg
    207.4 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0305.jpeg
    IMG_0305.jpeg
    220.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0307.jpeg
    IMG_0307.jpeg
    209.2 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0308.jpeg
    IMG_0308.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    231.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0311.jpeg
    IMG_0311.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    184.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0315.jpeg
    IMG_0315.jpeg
    184 KB · Views: 20

adinath

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

I got this nem at my LFS today, it was labelled a mini mini?? nem, apparently a mini carpeting variety that is much smaller than mini maxis, just looking to either confirm that or see if it was misidentified. It is tiny, less than an inch wide, bright green. Has a dark red foot if that helps

IMG_8386.jpeg IMG_8385.jpeg
that looks cool! what to call for to get it from local store? and have you studied compatibility with others?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back