Nem Identification

TheFruitGoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me ID this nem? I was told it was a ritteri but it doesn’t seem to have characteristics for the species. I thought ritteri anemone were the type to find the highest point in the tank with good flow but this guy tends to stay inside a cave with lower flow. I’ve only had him for about a week so it could just be stress but I’ve noticed his tentacles don’t seem to be quite as long or flowy as the pictures I’ve seen of ritteri anemone even when it does appear to be fully opened.

9EB9338E-F4CD-4434-85FC-33E1BF1C8DD9.jpeg 0D90113E-B481-4F71-922C-964946325E00.jpeg

F i s h y

2nd In Command. Where is Frank's firebug badge?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Eagle_Steve I'm leaning towards unhappy Ritteri based on pic. What about you?

Based on pics shrunken tents not looking for light it probably is suffering from a bacterial infection from shipping. A cipro treatment may be in order if it doesn't show signs of improvement soon.

Can you give more info about your tank and its parameters please.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Based on pics shrunken tents not looking for light it probably is suffering from a bacterial infection from shipping. A cipro treatment may be in order if it doesn't show signs of improvement soon.

It does and it doesnt. There have been a few nems coming in that look sort of like mags, but miss a few of the charachteristics of them. With this nem having the tents that look like they are hollow on the end of them, i have a felling it is one of those. I have not been able to get my hands on one to positively ID what these guys are.

@Lost in the Sauce has one and his did the same thing with walking all over and going down in rocks, etc.

The mouth does appear to be a bit open, but not gaping.

@TheFruitGoon does it stay inflated or does it inflate and deflate a lot? Does the mouth ever tighten up or does it tend to look like it is spitting its guts any?

Those 2 things are an identifier if it needs treatment. You need to watch form inflation/deflation cycles and a gaping mouth. If these happen regularly, then treatment may be needed. If it is just moving around, but staying inflated, the mouth will open some during that, as it needs water in/out to move around.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does and it doesnt. There have been a few nems coming in that look sort of like mags, but miss a few of the charachteristics of them. With this nem having the tents that look like they are hollow on the end of them, i have a felling it is one of those. I have not been able to get my hands on one to positively ID what these guys are.

@Lost in the Sauce has one and his did the same thing with walking all over and going down in rocks, etc.

@TheFruitGoon does it stay inflated or does it inflate and deflate a lot? Does the mouth ever tighten up or does it tend to look like it is spitting its guts any?

Those 2 things are an identifier if it needs treatment. You need to watch form inflation/deflation cycles and a gaping mouth. If these happen regularly, then treatment may be needed. If it is just moving around, but staying inflated, the mouth will open some during that, as it needs water in/out to move around.
This is definitely like my "Ritterish" missclass.

It's stayed low flow/low light since introduced.

PXL_20220414_034005967.jpg

OP
OP
TheFruitGoon

TheFruitGoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have a 90g. reef. It's currently sitting with no fish and just corals my fish are on the tail end of an 80 day quarantine.

Parameters:
Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5

I'm confident in the accuracy of the parameters too because I have access to a FF Spindisk.

OP
OP
TheFruitGoon

TheFruitGoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So far I've only noticed it being deflated at night after the lights cut off and in the early morning before the lights come back on. During the day it stays pretty open unless my cleaner shrimp irritates it. It's mouth does seem to be a bit open sometimes but I've never seen it look like it's gaping or actively spitting it's guts up. So far it just seems to like the cave it's in. I've tried moving the rock it's in to a new spot to try and coax it out but it seems pretty set on staying there.

OP
OP
TheFruitGoon

TheFruitGoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is definitely like my "Ritterish" missclass.

It's stayed low flow/low light since introduced.

PXL_20220414_034005967.jpg
Mine looks a lot like this but I haven't seen it extend it's body like this. It stays pretty flat and spreads out along the rock of the cave it's in.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine looks a lot like this but I haven't seen it extend it's body like this. It stays pretty flat and spreads out along the rock of the cave it's in.
This one is only extending because I put a rock above it, attempting to shade it and make it move. Normally it stays pretty close to the foot.

The tentacles on these are weird. It looks like an eyeball on the end with a little concave black dot ya?

Here it was at the LFS
Screenshot_20220422-094543.png
Screenshot_20220422-094553.png

If you were expecting it to act like other H. mags, it likely won't. These guys don't like flow, light, or other nems in my tank.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a strange looking nem. I can identify the norms we see that I have had, but no idea on that one. Cool though. Hope you find out what it needs specifically and get it happy.

OP
OP
TheFruitGoon

TheFruitGoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one is only extending because I put a rock above it, attempting to shade it and make it move. Normally it stays pretty close to the foot.

The tentacles on these are weird. It looks like an eyeball on the end with a little concave black dot ya?

Here it was at the LFS
Screenshot_20220422-094543.png
Screenshot_20220422-094553.png

If you were expecting it to act like other H. mags, it likely won't. These guys don't like flow, light, or other nems in my tank.
Yeah it looks exactly like that with that weird tentacle coloration!! I still really like it even if it isn’t a mag. What have you found works best for keeping these interesting guys? I also have two clownfish, would you happen to know if it would be safe for them to touch if they end up finding it once I put them back in my system?

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it looks exactly like that with that weird tentacle coloration!! I still really like it even if it isn’t a mag. What have you found works best for keeping these interesting guys? I also have two clownfish, would you happen to know if it would be safe for them to touch if they end up finding it once I put them back in my system?
I figured. Welcome to the club. I've only seen now 4 other people with them.

They are Technically still classified and sold as H. Magnifica.

IMO, they should be broken out. They are dissimilar enough. They act more BTA like than mags. @Erin O 's Foxface sleeps on top of this nem so I would guess a clown is safe.

They direct feed well on thawed mysis. Have a pretty immediate feeding response but take a bit to finish eating and open back up. I've moved it a few times to places I wanted, And it has always retreated to a low flow low light area of the tank.

OP
OP
TheFruitGoon

TheFruitGoon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I figured. Welcome to the club. I've only seen now 4 other people with them.

They are Technically still classified and sold as H. Magnifica.

IMO, they should be broken out. They are dissimilar enough. They act more BTA like than mags. @Erin O 's Foxface sleeps on top of this nem so I would guess a clown is safe.

They direct feed well on thawed mysis. Have a pretty immediate feeding response but take a bit to finish eating and open back up. I've moved it a few times to places I wanted, And it has always retreated to a low flow low light area of the tank.
Oh no way that's so cool! Maybe my foxface will take more of a liking to it than my clowns that would be so cool lol. I appreciate the help so far too on IDing this nem! I'm glad to hear they like mysis too because that's what I feed my rock flowers too.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no way that's so cool! Maybe my foxface will take more of a liking to it than my clowns that would be so cool lol. I appreciate the help so far too on IDing this nem! I'm glad to hear they like mysis too because that's what I feed my rock flowers too.
I told the LFS that I got it from I want 5 more if they can get them. Hoping they will like each other and look awesome in a cluster. Plus one for @Eagle_Steve

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 13 20.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 55.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back