neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit more info on the plants...

Background:

upload_2019-3-31_7-48-27.png

Fast growth will help keep algae under control. Coloration should look great with the red and green background selection.

upload_2019-3-31_7-48-48.png

Another fast growing background plant - really hope to get this deep red coloration...

upload_2019-3-31_7-50-32.png

This is a medium growth rate plant.

Mid-level Plants:

upload_2019-3-31_7-51-55.png

Fast growth - like the color and leaf shape

upload_2019-3-31_7-52-37.png

Moderate growth rate - love the color and leaf shape

Foreground:

upload_2019-3-31_7-53-19.png

Fast growth rate - carpet.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neoGeorge - Although I'm pretty sure you already know because of the FLOOD of notifications but just finished reading through this thread. I am digging how both tanks are going along. Thanks, too, for posting the FW plants you'll be using. I didn't happen to see it because I don't think it was posted but when is the big move happening? I imagine it's got to be getting close.
Following along now!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neoGeorge - Although I'm pretty sure you already know because of the FLOOD of notifications but just finished reading through this thread. I am digging how both tanks are going along. Thanks, too, for posting the FW plants you'll be using. I didn't happen to see it because I don't think it was posted but when is the big move happening? I imagine it's got to be getting close.
Following along now!

Thanks @crusso1993 - really appreciate the likes! The big move will be happening in about 5 weeks; 3 day drive cross country with all the fresh and reef critters, oh my!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @crusso1993 - really appreciate the likes! The big move will be happening in about 5 weeks; 3 day drive cross country with all the fresh and reef critters, oh my!

3 days? You certainly do plan on taking your time and a number of breaks. I've driven from Chicago to PHX a few times. Always went non-stop. Last cross-country dive I did, in 2012, was from Sarasota, FL to San Francisco, CA and also did that one non-stop. The trip back to Sarasota took 3 months. That's a story for another time.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 days? You certainly do plan on taking your time and a number of breaks. I've driven from Chicago to PHX a few times. Always went non-stop. Last cross-country dive I did, in 2012, was from Sarasota, FL to San Francisco, CA and also did that one non-stop. The trip back to Sarasota took 3 months. That's a story for another time.

Yeah, don't have much driving endurance - try to keep it at 1o-12 hours per day (prefer 8 or less :) - total drive time is 30 hours with no stops or delays. You are a DRIVING MACHINE!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've placed foam bubble filter material in both the freshwater and reef tanks to accumulate bacteria for biologic filtration - these filters will travel with the critters on the drive West to help keep the water healthy:

FoamFilterFreshwater-3403.jpg

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've placed foam bubble filter material in both the freshwater and reef tanks to accumulate bacteria for biologic filtration - these filters will travel with the critters on the drive West to help keep the water healthy:

FoamFilterFreshwater-3403.jpg

Good plan! You going to have an inverter hooked up to an air pump for the ride out west?

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good plan! You going to have an inverter hooked up to an air pump for the ride out west?

Yes, inverter to run electrics in the car, and all critters will be in wheeled coolers so we can bring them into the hotel room at night to get plugged in. Each fish cooler will also have a bubble filter for aeration (using a Cobalt Aquatics battery backup pump...). I've had lots of time to think this through, so hopefully everyone has their best shot of coming through this without too many ruffles!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, inverter to run electrics in the car, and all critters will be in wheeled coolers so we can bring them into the hotel room at night to get plugged in. Each fish cooler will also have a bubble filter for aeration (using a Cobalt Aquatics battery backup pump...). I've had lots of time to think this through, so hopefully everyone has their best shot of coming through this without too many ruffles!

Fantastic!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aqua Forest Aquarium plants are shipping today for Friday delivery; I learned in a subsequent conversation that they source their plants from India and get shipments once per month. Have to say, I was a bit taken aback by this news - given the ADA branding on the tissue cultures I was expecting fresh and healthy plants - I'll know more when they arrive on Friday (and we'll see how well they establish in the tank).

To help ensure that the tank is planted heavily, and with healthy plants, I've also placed an order with Green Leaf Aquariums. I purchase my dry ferts from them and they have excellent customer service. Plants will ship today and hopefully arrive Friday as well.

upload_2019-4-3_8-55-39.png

EDIT: I received the plants from AFA and they were packaged very well and look very healthy. After rehashing my conversation with them, I believe the India point of origin was a mis-communication; these may well be true ADA plants, and I would not hesitate to order from Aqua Forest Aquarium again.

D0F98558-7372-4577-BCC1-D1606CC4D618.jpeg

E7A21093-3237-44E8-A853-33BBD77EC9A9.jpeg

Last edited:

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aqua Forest Aquarium plants are shipping today for Friday delivery; I learned in a subsequent conversation that they source their plants from India and get shipments once per month. Have to say, I was a bit taken aback by this news - given the ADA branding on the tissue cultures I was expecting fresh and healthy plants - I'll know more when they arrive on Friday (and we'll see how well they establish in the tank).

To help ensure that the tank is planted heavily, and with healthy plants, I've also placed an order with Green Leaf Aquariums. I purchase my dry ferts from them and they have excellent customer service. Plants will ship today and hopefully arrive Friday as well.

upload_2019-4-3_8-55-39.png

India? Did you say, "India?" That is a disappointment. Hey, a free world market can be a good thing but I'm a fan of buying American whenever possible. Given these are plants, I'm certain they're available here.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
India? Did you say, "India?" That is a disappointment. Hey, a free world market can be a good thing but I'm a fan of buying American whenever possible. Given these are plants, I'm certain they're available here.

Agreed - and local sourcing means less shipping time and healthier plants - the proof will be in the pudding as the saying goes...

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed - and local sourcing means less shipping time and healthier plants - the proof will be in the pudding as the saying goes...

No doubt.

I'm not wanting to be a d**k but, in an odd way, am almost hoping the plants are junk. Not for any other reason than you'll source the replacements locally. I know this doesn't sound good and may cast a dark shadow over me but I'm really a nice guy. I hope you understand my meaning.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No doubt.

I'm not wanting to be a d**k but, in an odd way, am almost hoping the plants are junk. Not for any other reason than you'll source the replacements locally. I know this doesn't sound good and may cast a dark shadow over me but I'm really a nice guy. I hope you understand my meaning.

I visited the local fish shops and none of them had good plants to offer, so that is not an option. But I was using "local" in the context of North America / United States. Green Leaf Aquariums, for example, offer GLA branded tissue cultures which I'm assuming are Florida sourced, and Tropica 1-2-Grow I believe are sourced out of Vancouver (although headquarters is Denmark I think).

Anyways, shipping the plants overseas seems like it would put them at a stress disadvantage, but all this is speculation, which happens when one (me ;-) has time to over analyze a purchase decision! Since my window of opportunity to plant in the AZ aquarium is short, and not as frequent as I'd like right now, it's pretty important that the plants are healthy so the tank succeeds, and so I don't overburden the volunteer maintenance person.

I have no doubt that that dark shadow was fleeting, and quickly replaced with thoughts of an appropriate music video ;Shamefullyembarrased

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I visited the local fish shops and none of them had good plants to offer, so that is not an option. But I was using "local" in the context of North America / United States. Green Leaf Aquariums, for example, offer GLA branded tissue cultures which I'm assuming are Florida sourced, and Tropica 1-2-Grow I believe are sourced out of Vancouver (although headquarters is Denmark I think).

Anyways, shipping the plants overseas seems like it would put them at a stress disadvantage, but all this is speculation, which happens when one (me ;-) has time to over analyze a purchase decision! Since my window of opportunity to plant in the AZ aquarium is short, and not as frequent as I'd like right now, it's pretty important that the plants are healthy so the tank succeeds, and so I don't overburden the volunteer maintenance person.

I have no doubt that that dark shadow was fleeting, and quickly replaced with thoughts of an appropriate music video ;Shamefullyembarrased

Speaking of shadows... I have been told the lead guitarist was my birth father. Unfortunately, no way of verifying since he died in 2013 and I didn't find my birth mother until about 1.5 years ago.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of shadows... I have been told the lead guitarist was my birth father. Unfortunately, no way of verifying since he died in 2013 and I didn't find my birth mother until about 1.5 years ago.

@crusso1993 , another great listen; given your love of music, wouldn't be surprised - thanks for sharing!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Off topic but do you have any idea what the black coarse sponge is used for and where does it go? I know it goes some place in the (rear) sump I'm just not sure where. Perhaps to prevent micro bubbles? It came included with the tanka long with the filter socks, media, etc.

@Cali-Saltwater-1st-Timer , sorry for the late response - going through my thread looking for a picture and realized I may not have responded to your post - I used the coarse black sponges to hold down the carbon and bio media in the sump; just a guess though...

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back