OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@
I'm not exactly sure what's going on but the video did not load again. Additionally, the site hangs up a bit when I view your thread now. It's the only one that gives me any issue.
@crusso1993 - I posted a request for assistance with this issue

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching the BRS videos on LED and T5 spectrum and PAR, I pulled out the Seneye monitor and revisited the settings on the Reef. Turns out, PAR numbers were in the 40-90 range; way lower than I expected. So I adjusted for a 150 PAR 6" down (above the tops of all corals), using the BRS methodology of adjusting for spectrum first, then adding cool white to make the scene pleasing to the eye.
I'm a bit concerned about making such a large change, but I've noticed coral growth has been quite a bit slower than in my previous tank and hope that the last few months of coral acclimation will help them adapt. Here's a video (not the best quality, sorry) of the new scene: It's a bit more blue than I'm used to, but the PAR/Spectrum combination is promising, and the coral color definitely pops more than before!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using the Cobalt C-Ray 200 for this JBJ 65, and set Cool White at 30%, Royal Blue at 70%, Aqua at 0%, Red/Blue at 10%.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the blastos appears to be melting, so I posted in AskBRS to learn if this is an issue for concern:
1591022272195.png

Other blastos in the tank look great:
1591022336263.png

Some thought this could be a bacterial infection or flow issue, but three reefers have experienced this before with blastos, and this may actually be good news - the coral may be self-fragging.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a fun surprise this morning - the Trochus snails are breeding!

From LiveAquaria: "Also known as the Trochus, Turban or Top Shell, or Turban Snail, this species of the Trochus genus is the true Banded Trochus Snail from Indonesia. Perhaps what many aquarists appreciate the most is the ease with which Banded Trochus Snails seem to breed in the home aquarium. It reproduces sexually by releasing gametes into the water column. The gametes appear as a cloudy, white substance. Breeding activity is usually sparked by changes in lighting or water conditions. After the gametes join, they develop into free-swimming larvae that eventually settle into your aquarium substrate and develop into mature snails over a period of a few months."

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back