neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another great vlogger is George Farmer...

This video is a "live" ad-hoc scaping session: one of George's earlier videos where he doesn't list out the plants being used in the comments, but he does describe the basics of dutch style scaping. At about 42 minutes he talks about prepping rock wool plants, dutch style requires a lot of maintenance (trimming) at planting and to adjust for different growth rates and styles as the tank fills out, serious pruning maintenance starts at about 10 weeks, recommends 8 hour photo period, but can start with 5 hours to limit algae growth (will also slow plant growth too), bubble counter - 1 bubble/sec per 50L (30 ppm CO2 max in tank with fish), plant in color streaks and focal points with a left to right or front to back "flow", use rule of thirds, it's a bit shocking how many plants go into this 15 gallon tank, start off without livestock and crank up the CO2 to get the plants growing.

I don't know that I have a certain style I'm going with but I do like some of the recommendations there. As far as the shorter photo period at first and cranking hard on Co2 a while before adding livestock. I don't know that I'm good enough to pull off something like that. I'm just going for a decent looking tank with healthy plants.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the freshwater has been getting all the press recently because it's getting a makeover in the next few days, but I haven't forgot about the future reef aquascape. In the current Nano Cube 28g I have a "cove" scape, but the new 65g is wider and provides more options.

(And I'll also be addressing the algae issues - the lawnmower blenny only makes a modest dent in the GHA, and to complicate matters, he attacks snails, so options have been limited in this tank. I am trying Vibrant - seven days in at this point - so time will tell if it provides a GHA solution)
NanoCube28snapshot-3427.jpg

The new 65g is being cycled with fresh rock that will be used in conjunction with the "live" rock to make the new scape.
65g_Reef-3297.jpg

@Veganbrian has posted a great thread Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes that I'm using as an initial reference. Here are some visual ideas that may work well in the 65g with existing materials:

upload_2019-4-4_11-35-51.png

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, the freshwater has been getting all the press recently because it's getting a makeover in the next few days, but I haven't forgot about the future reef aquascape. In the current Nano Cube 28g I have a "cove" scape, but the new 65g is wider and provides more options.

(And I'll also be addressing the algae issues - the lawnmower blenny only makes a modest dent in the GHA, and to complicate matters, he attacks snails, so options have been limited in this tank. I am trying Vibrant - seven days in at this point - so time will tell if it provides a GHA solution)
NanoCube28snapshot-3427.jpg

The new 65g is being cycled with fresh rock that will be used in conjunction with the "live" rock to make the new scape.
65g_Reef-3297.jpg

@Veganbrian has posted a great thread Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes that I'm using as an initial reference. Here are some visual ideas that may work well in the 65g with existing materials:

upload_2019-4-4_11-35-51.png
That is a very healthy salty tank you got there. Acan colony is beautiful.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you posted that, it helps me out on my planting. way more organized than I am.

Nice organizational chart!

Will also be interested to see your PAR numbers when you measure.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9D33FE91-C8C5-482E-A6D6-C41C5A55CC3F.jpeg
Tuned the lighting using the Seneye - 50 umols at substrate.

I like it!

What's the deal with that airline tubing in the corner? Were you drunk when you put it in? It's not perfectly straight and vertical! Pfffftttt...
Lol J/K

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like it!

What's the deal with that airline tubing in the corner? Were you drunk when you put it in? It's not perfectly straight and vertical! Pfffftttt...
Lol J/K

Thank you! The airline tubing is a humbling reminder that I can’t control everything ;)

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 56 41.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 66 49.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 9.0%
Back