neoGeorge's Build: One Reef & One Planted Freshwater

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the mean time I'm in transition, and only get to visit the cycling 65g tanks occasionally - there is so much I'd like to do on these tanks, including frequent monitoring of parameters, but distance is forcing patience, which is probably a good thing!
Haha that actually does seem like a good thing! Is The Ocean Floor still open in Phoenix? Or what’s the good LFS’s these days.

mch1984

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mch1984 since I've only done AIO tanks, ignorance is protecting me from moving to a tank with a separate sump, and I do love my Nano Cube 28g; it has a bit of cyano, but not too much, and algae, which might be the results of the limitation of an AIO, I don't know. I think a fuge is a great idea, and the sump on the 65g may be large enough to implement a solution, and down the road this may help with the cyano and algae. Lighting on the current 28g may also be an issue - I use a DIY LED solution and it's possible the spectrum is not adjusted optimally (will learn more when the Seneye arrives :)
I don't think it's the AIO that is causing those problems, I have and am fighting a little hair algae on my 90 gallon. You should check out these hang on the back refugiums from fiji cube. I've never used one but have heard nothing but good things about fiji cube and their products. It's what is making me look at them for an AIO for my office, which would include this fuge.

https://www.fijicube.com/collection...-on-back-refugium-box-with-led-lighting-large

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think it's the AIO that is causing those problems, I have and am fighting a little hair algae on my 90 gallon. You should check out these hang on the back refugiums from fiji cube. I've never used one but have heard nothing but good things about fiji cube and their products. It's what is making me look at them for an AIO for my office, which would include this fuge.

https://www.fijicube.com/collection...-on-back-refugium-box-with-led-lighting-large

Down the road I'm hoping a fuge could go into one of the filter sock chambers - it would benefit from the flow and catch detritus as food for the chaeto - may be a concept better left on paper, not sure!

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Down the road I'm hoping a fuge could go into one of the filter sock chambers - it would benefit from the flow and catch detritus as food for the chaeto - may be a concept better left on paper, not sure!

@neoGeorge - I've looked at some of the designs for the small refugiums which take the place of a filter sock chamber but haven't come up with good research that shows a refugium this small makes a meaningful difference over, say, using that space to run a media basket.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@neoGeorge - I've looked at some of the designs for the small refugiums which take the place of a filter sock chamber but haven't come up with good research that shows a refugium this small makes a meaningful difference over, say, using that space to run a media basket.

I guess this makes sense, since I seem to remember that the refugium should be a certain percentage of the tank volume (at least for the Triton method); I'll continue using GFO and dosing NOPOX like I do on my current aquarium, which has provided good Phosphate and Nitrate control.

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess this makes sense, since I seem to remember that the refugium should be a certain percentage of the tank volume (at least for the Triton method); I'll continue using GFO and dosing NOPOX like I do on my current aquarium, which has provided good Phosphate and Nitrate control.

If you don’t mind the look you can run a HOB refugium. There’s a few designs around for using a reactor with LED light strips. There’s some anecdotal reports of success.

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don’t mind the look you can run a HOB refugium. There’s a few designs around for using a reactor with LED light strips. There’s some anecdotal reports of success.

Definitely an upgrade consideration down the road. I'll be starting off with the Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB skimmer from my Nano Cube 28g on this build, but may ultimately elect for a cleaner look with everything inside the sump (or may balance the look with an HOB fuge, who knows ;-) Thanks @mch1984 and @Res_Ipsa for the suggestions!

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased a replacement for one of the stock sump pumps (victim of a BRS sale!), a
MIGHTYJET MIDSIZE AIO DC RETURN PUMP (538 GPH)
upload_2019-2-21_5-52-10.png

I may elect to run only this pump since it's so efficient. Being in the desert, want to keep heat load in the tank at a minimum, and hey, it helps to keep down the electric bills too. Feel free to chime in on required flow for a 65g AIO tank.

Was thinking of replacing one or both return nozzles with RFGs - does anyone know if either of these sizes would fit the JBJ?

upload_2019-2-21_5-52-40.png

Res_Ipsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my stock 600gph returns to 1100gph pumps and am pretty happy with them so far. The mighty jet seems to have decent reviews so no doubt you’d be happy there.

The Vivid RFG are also close to the top of my next upgrades as well. Luckily @Vivid Creative Aquatics might be able to tell you what you’d need in the JBJ?

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I upgraded my stock 600gph returns to 1100gph pumps and am pretty happy with them so far. The mighty jet seems to have decent reviews so no doubt you’d be happy there.

The Vivid RFG are also close to the top of my next upgrades as well. Luckily @Vivid Creative Aquatics might be able to tell you what you’d need in the JBJ?

@Res_Ipsa I posted the question on the Vivid RFG Q&A forum...

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched the BRS Ep10-Flow video and came away with the following:
  • Sump turnover (minimums), depends what's in the sump
    • Just a heater: 1x - 2x turnover should be sufficient
    • Skimmer: 1x - 2x the flow feeding the skimmer
    • Refugium: 1x probably sufficient
    • Filter socks: 1x - 2x for bare bottom tank
    • Keeping food and waste in the main tank for longer can provide corals more time to uptake nutrients
    • Overall conclusion: 3x is probably adequate for most sumps. Note that pumps can slow down over time due to calcification and detritis, head pressure, mounting height - get a pump that's rated for twice the desired flow rate to account for these elements
    • Two return pumps are recommended as a fail safe since they are so critical to the tank
  • Tank circulation
    • As much as your corals will tolerate
    • 50x total pump capacity (assuming all pumps are not on 100% all of the time), with a realized 25X flow
    • 100x total pump capacity even more ideal
    • Setup to eliminate dead zones
    • Sand bottomed tanks benefit from wider flow with less turbulence
AC pumps are the most reliable; DC pumps are quieter and offer more control

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just in: MightyJet Midsize, Sicce Syncra Silent 1.5 and seneye REEF. Given the importance of the return pumps, and the BRS video series emphasis on redundancy for heaters and pumps, I've decided to use one DC pump and one AC pump for the returns, providing a total of 896 gph (ideal conditions) or about 19x tank flow at full output.

JBJ65setup_Seneye_Pumps-2210044.jpg

JBJ65setup_Seneye_Pumps-2210052.jpg

OP
OP
neoGeorge

neoGeorge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took my first measurements on the Nano Cube 28g - this tank is setup with a DIY LED light inside the hood. Note: This would be much better as a two person job; I was juggling the sensor and the camera, and because the tank has a hood with only a small opening, sensor placement was a challenge :) It's going to be a few weeks before the seneye and the JBJ 65g will be in the same location, so those readings are a TBD.

Morning: Whites @ 15%, Blues @ 22%, UV @ 15%

TOP - this reading is taken within an inch of the water surface (the Trumpet coral is an inch or so below this level)
JBJ65setup_Seneye_MorningTopPAR-2210065.jpg
MIDDLE - This reading is taken at the level of the Acans and the Monte. 162 PAR seems pretty good for these corals, and they're thriving
JBJ65setup_Seneye_MorningMiddlePAR-2210067.jpg
BOTTOM - this reading is taken at the sand level - the Leather and Ricordia corals are at this level and are doing fine at 54 PAR
JBJ65setup_Seneye_MorningBottomPAR-2210069.jpg

Afternoon: Whites @ 13%, Blues @ 25%, UV @ 15%

JBJ65setup_Seneye_AfternoonTopPAR-2210072.jpg
MIDDLE - Interesting that this PAR reading is lower than the morning, but I did not have a system to consistently place the sensor, so that may be the reason.
JBJ65setup_Seneye_AfternoonMiddlePAR-2210071.jpg
BOTTOM
JBJ65setup_Seneye_AfternoonBottomPAR-2210070.jpg

And here's my impromptu sensor holder, dubbed Sensor Net :)
JBJ65setup_Seneye_SensorNet-2210074.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 19.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 44 52.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.5%
Back