Neon dottyback bullying wrasse will it stop?

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a silver belly wrasse two days ago it’s slightly smaller than the neon dottyback at first the wrasse hid in the sand for a day but I just noticed it’s head sticking out the sand observing the tank then the dottyback seen him and chased him out the sand around the tank until he disappeared again will the wrasse eventually come out or will this be a issue?

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be lucky and get a reduction in aggression but you are more likely to see the wrasse driven into the sand as neons can be pretty nasty once established in a tank. If the tank is large enough they might learn to coexist but it would need to be pretty large I'm afraid. I'd personally make your choice which you want more with the knowledge that the dotty is far more limiting (it will be hard to add anything similar in shape or that lives in and around the rockwork).

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most dottys, even though they're small fish, are pretty aggressive and best kept with big tankmates like tangs, angels, Xanthicthys genus triggers, etc.

JJ Ligs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Odds are no I am sorry. You can try giving it a mirror so then it will fight himself but that is not a final cure just a distraction.

Jimmyneptune

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could give the dotty a time out in the sump, a qt, or alternative tank. Let the wrasse get established and feeling safe and then bring back the dotty.

OP
OP
Dinodanger

Dinodanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you could give the dotty a time out in the sump, a qt, or alternative tank. Let the wrasse get established and feeling safe and then bring back the dotty.
I was literally going to post this question have you done it before does it work?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 64 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back